SEAT assistance question

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Can you call SEAT assistance with a flat tyre? Say I take the spare wheel out and then get a puncture can I call them out or does it not cover things such as punctures?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
You are basically phoning the AA. I’d say if you got a puncture they would come and help you change it.

What is covered:

Roadside Assistance is available if the Eligible Vehicle is stranded on the highway or at the home address. If, following a breakdown, a patrol or appointed agent cannot fix the Eligible Vehicle within a reasonable time, it will be taken to a SEAT Service Partner or to a local destination of Your choice, provided it is no further; SEAT Assistance will make a telephone call at Your request following a breakdown.

https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/warranty-roadside-assistance/roadside-assistance/terms.html

Reactions: Kirky

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
From Seat’s website;

https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/warranty-roadside-assistance/roadside-assistance.html

Roadside assistance

While you can’t be sure what’s around the corner, you can drive confidently in the knowledge that SEAT Roadside Assistance is on hand if you need help.

You get 2 years cover with a new SEAT and at least 1 year with any Approved Used SEAT.

We aim to get you back on the road as soon as possible. If your SEAT takes longer than two hours to repair, we’ll offer you a replacement car with free mileage and fully comprehensive insurance.

It’s also reassuring to know that you can call us if you’re unfortunate enough to fill up with the wrong fuel, lock yourself out of your car or get a puncture. Plus, if your car won’t start at home, we’ll arrange for help to be sent to you.

Reactions: Kirky

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Going to have a very full car at Xmas and wondered if I removed the spare wheel, for the little bit of extra storage, I'd be screwed. Looks like I'd still be ok from what you guys have posted.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Going to have a very full car at Xmas and wondered if I removed the spare wheel, for the little bit of extra storage, I'd be screwed. Looks like I'd still be ok from what you guys have posted.

Sure most Seats don’t even come with a spare wheel anymore. In fairness id rather have the wheel in the car rather than having to sit / end up with no car.

Reactions: RUM4MO

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
If worried about what you'd do if you get a puncture and you have a car with a spare wheel, practice changing a wheel in the light on a dry day (not so easy this time of year). It's a lot easier coping if you've basically done it all before!

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
If worried about what you'd do if you get a puncture and you have a car with a spare wheel, practice changing a wheel in the light on a dry day (not so easy this time of year). It's a lot easier coping if you've basically done it all before!
I can change a wheel, that's not an issue. I'm removing the wheel from the boot to make space for a trip. I was worried that SEAT assistance wouldn't cover a puncture if I'd taken out the spare wheel.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Legally you have to have a way of getting yourself out of danger on the motorway be it a spare wheel or a tyre repair kit. So if you did get a puncture and the police arrived you may get a fine/points. Your choice though.

Can of Holt's tyre weld won't take too much space though.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Not sure about Seat Assistance, but other breakdown services do not like it when you have a missing or unusable spare. The AA and RAC will assist you, but charge you for the call out because you haven't kept the car in acceptable condition. If the car has no spare from the factory its fine, but its expected you have a working emergency repair kit.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
That was the point I was trying to make, they’ll help you change the wheel but I’m not sure what you’d expect them to do on Christmas Day if you have no spare to put on. They don’t have spare wheels or anyway fixing a puncture at the side of the road.

Doubt any car rental places are open to get a rental car thus I’d leave the spare in.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
That was the point I was trying to make, they’ll help you change the wheel but I’m not sure what you’d expect them to do on Christmas Day if you have no spare to put on. They don’t have spare wheels or anyway fixing a puncture at the side of the road.

Doubt any car rental places are open to get a rental car thus I’d leave the spare in.
So what happens if you have a puncture repair kit but the sidewall is cut for example? Surely they tow you to a garage? You can't repair every flat with the kit. So if they do this I'm happy to put some tire gunk in the car. Already have a compressor in the boot.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So what happens if you have a puncture repair kit but the sidewall is cut for example? Surely they tow you to a garage? You can't repair every flat with the kit. So if they do this I'm happy to put some tire gunk in the car. Already have a compressor in the boot.

I think that in that situation you would be okay as you had taken steps to recover from a (small) puncture.

What would worry me more at that time of year is, the response time could be long, weather not too pleasant and tyre places on reduced hours as well as stocks of new tyres if your car was not a "common" size - so either a day or more delay plus an inflated price, so all in all, the easiest thing to do is to have a spare wheel for your car at festival time especially.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
The point is most breakdown companies will check if you are supposed to have a spare or not from the factory. If you don't have one, but should, they will still recover the car to your home/garage whatever, but at your cost, likely a few hundred quid. If your car should only have a repair kit the. they will recover you free, as part of the cover.

I dont know about Seat Assist, chances are they will just use a local agent anyway, whether they check unknown.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007

That’s all we’ll and good if the garage is open. Over Christmas places will be closed so may not be so straight forward.

I have had my car recovered before, it was lifted by a local recovery guy and then sat overnight at his yard until the dealer opened the next day.

I did have a rental car delivered a few hours after my car was recovered but over holiday periods I guess it may not be so slick / simple.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members