mk2 TDI170 problems

Dec 17, 2019
Hello everyone, hoping someone can give me some advice.

My car has lost power. Acceleration is very poor at the moment. Yesterday when I put my foot down in any gear there was a lack of acceleration. In 3rd gear in particular, it felt like it was struggling to find power and then at 3000rpm it would go into limp mode. The engine management light is on. The car has had the DPF removed and a stage 1 remap. What do you think it could be? Thanks in advance

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Turbo veins are clogged up at a guess. Causes over-boost protection to kick in meaning you lose the turbo. YOu can take the turbo off and clean the veins etc, its not the easiest job in the world but it is possible.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Without reading the error codes it's just guesswork.

Intercooler hose could have fallen off, turbo actuator could have broken, boost solenoid failed or anything.

Dec 17, 2019
Without reading the error codes it's just guesswork.

Intercooler hose could have fallen off, turbo actuator could have broken, boost solenoid failed or anything.
I have just connected a code reader and its given me the following codes:
P2427 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Valve Control Circuit High
P2426 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Valve Control Circuit Low
P1027 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input
P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

I'm not sure how the first 2 can be true at the same time! Looking at the symptoms of the 3rd code it says that the car will probably have trouble starting but that is not the case. That leads me to believe the 4th one is the main issue. However, I know FA so thats just guesswork. Quite a few people seem to mention the turbo actuator related to this code.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea the diaphragm in the actuator can rupture so it's unable to control boost properly. You can test it with a little hand vac pump.

Also the N75 valve can bugger up, or the vac pipes controlling it all can split.

steve7786

Apr 27, 2013
My turbo actuator split, the started and would drive ok, just no power and the engine would go on to limp mode occasionally.

I bought a cheap vacuum pump to test it and by virtue of it not holding vacuum or moving the actuator arm it was easy to diagnose. I bought a new actuator on ebay and downloaded a fitting guide. Fiddly to do but a lot cheaper than a new turbo which every garage I spoke to said was the only option.

Reactions: Sharpy and PA85

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Everyday’s a school day. Learnt something new today from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2019
My turbo actuator split, the started and would drive ok, just no power and the engine would go on to limp mode occasionally.

I bought a cheap vacuum pump to test it and by virtue of it not holding vacuum or moving the actuator arm it was easy to diagnose. I bought a new actuator on ebay and downloaded a fitting guide. Fiddly to do but a lot cheaper than a new turbo which every garage I spoke to said was the only option.
What vacuum pump did you buy?

Dec 17, 2019
Finally managed to test the actuator but it held vacuum! So now at a complete loss again. Anymore ideas?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Might be time to warm up the parts cannon.

I'd start with the N75 valve, think it's about £30 and dead easy to replace, which isn't too bad.
1K0906627A is the part number you want I believe.

Last edited: