Stereo Quality

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Anybody else noticed the music is better with a phone connected than on the DAB. Volume wise anyways. Radio only plays around 75% volume that the phone / media can

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
Anybody else noticed the music is better with a phone connected than on the DAB

The bit rate of dab is pretty crap for most channels. Radio x has only just upgraded to stereo!

DAB in the UK is a complete mess, with few channels getting over 128kbps stereo. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom#Criticisms_of_DAB_in_the_UK)

If you want better sounding radio and have the mobile data to back it, massively recommend something like TuneIn over your phone.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
What I'm trying to find out is whether or not they should sound different. If the head unit has been upgraded then fair enough. But if the 14 and 16 plate cars should sound much the same it might suggest there is something wrong with the SE setup. We're not talking a slight difference here. The FR is a LOT better. The SE sounds like a transistor radio by comparison.

Well, for sure the screens have gotten bigger (5.8 to 6.5 to 8), perhaps the internals have also gotten bigger or more powerful, or with a more modern processor etc. Me personally before shopping for a car (a good soundsystem is a must) I usually have a usb with my favourite songs to test them (against my home hifi). I always test them with the EQ on flat, and then lift the bass and treble ever so slightly. So far my favourite sound systems have been Audi A1 with Bose and HK on Mini Cooper. The Bose on Mazda 3 isn't bad either. My test song to check speaker (esp left one) rattles is usually 'Stand By Me' by Ben E King...Saying that, from my memory, the SE Tech stereo that I had in 63 plate Leon definitely did not sound like a transistor radio, and many on the forum have said that the stock Leon sound system is one of the 'better' ones. Would you agree on this with the 16 plate FR? I do wonder if there is something up with your SE Tech headunit. Were you comparing the sounds on DAB radio or you had a USB with songs you are familiar with?

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
This are the speaker combinations:
1.jpg

2.jpg

Reactions: Zer0 and Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The FR just sounds better, whatever the source. I listen to DAB most of the time, I never play music off my phone.

I don't think the sound quality of car stereos has really improved that much in years. I had a Mazda 6 with a Bose system but it sounded worse than the Primera GT we had before that. The Leon SE sounds worse than the Mazda.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
This are the speaker combinations:

This is good as it suggests the speaker units are the same across the range. So if my SE sounds worse than the FR then it has to be either that the head unit is better or there is a fault.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
This is good as it suggests the speaker units are the same across the range. So if my SE sounds worse than the FR then it has to be either that the head unit is better or there is a fault.
If you have a six speaker system the rear door speakers ARE different to the ones on an 8 speaker system.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
That subwoofer is pretty tiny. Smaller than the front and rear door woofers. It must use its casing and ports to create the bass required.

Anyone know if the centre speaker cable is routed on cars that down have it? So it can just be fitted and connected?

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Had a quick look on eBay and saw some glovebox units that were taken out of a 14 plate TDI SE were made by Panasonic and then other units out of most of the other cars were made by TechniSat and they had different part numbers too.
Maybe this has something to do with the difference you are getting.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Had a quick look on eBay and saw some glovebox units that were taken out of a 14 plate TDI SE were made by Panasonic and then other units out of most of the other cars were made by TechniSat.

Nice find! That certainly makes sense.

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
Glove box units:
MIB Std (1st generation) is made by Panasonic, oem number starts with 5F0.
1.jpg

MIB Std2 (2nd generation) are made by TechniSat and Preh, oem number starts with 5QA.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you. They are both MIB 2 I think. I was just out in the SE and it sounds like the sound is predominantly coming from the A-pillar speakers. There is sound coming from the door speakers but unless you put your head down there you can't really hear it.

I definitely think something is wrong. Either the door speakers are out of phase or they are turned down too much relative to the pillar speakers. I've ordered an OBD2 gismo, I'll have a look in there to see what settings can be changed and I'll try and run a phase check.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Anyone know if the centre speaker cable is routed on cars that down have it? So it can just be fitted and connected?
No, there is no cable fitted, on cars that have the Sub and Centre speaker (Seat Sound) the wiring is connected to different terminals on the back of the glovebox unit than on a unit without Seat Sound.

Reactions: Kirky
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.