How to improve mpg?

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
My casual commute to work and back is about 20 miles combined. Its all dual carriageway driving and I don't go beyond 70mph. I get around 20-22mpg everyday on my Cupra. This is something I've gone use to but I see comments of other cupra drivers hitting 30mpg+. How the hell do you guys manage that?

I've just averaged 27.5mpg from £50's worth of fuel, this included one trip of 80 miles set at 70mph and rest commuting to work (11 mile round trip). this was mostly driving like a saint though, typically I average under 25mpg.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
My casual commute to work and back is about 20 miles combined. Its all dual carriageway driving and I don't go beyond 70mph. I get around 20-22mpg everyday on my Cupra. This is something I've gone use to but I see comments of other cupra drivers hitting 30mpg+. How the hell do you guys manage that?
My average since getting it is 32 mpg. That's driving mainly inner city and short journeys. I don't get much chance to floor it. I've left start / stop on though as spend a lot of time not moving.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Our 1.6 TDi ST averages between 50 around town and 60 on a run. Actual figures, not what the car says. The stop/start is always switched off. It gets a tank of premium every three tanks or so for the cleaners. Tyre pressures are a couple of PSI over sticker as tyre wear and feel are better that way.

Never got as low as 40. If it goes under 50 there is a stewards enquiry.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
You don’t go above 70 and only get 22mpg? I drive 25 miles often and usually end up going circa 100 (dual carriageway) and still manage 34..... that’s in Cupra mode having a bit of fun also. If I’m on comfort and really try I can get 39mpg easily

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
you guys must be minted with the cupras, I nearly purchased an Ibiza Cupra but just couldn't bring myself to do it because of the MPG compared to the Leon Fr. My previous Ibiza FR managed 40 mpg, my current car (leon) manages to do 50 mpg. My work journeys are short and sweet and usually tend to hit traffic on dual carriage way, park way in sheffield which is like a mobile carpark so its usually a 40 min commute. Hopefully will purchase a cupra in the future but it just wouldn't suit my job driving ect.. at the moment.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
you guys must be minted with the cupras, I nearly purchased an Ibiza Cupra but just couldn't bring myself to do it because of the MPG compared to the Leon Fr. My previous Ibiza FR managed 40 mpg, my current car (leon) manages to do 50 mpg. My work journeys are short and sweet and usually tend to hit traffic on dual carriage way, park way in sheffield which is like a mobile carpark so its usually a 40 min commute. Hopefully will purchase a cupra in the future but it just wouldn't suit my job driving ect.. at the moment.
I would be minted if it wasn’t for my Cupra lol

Reactions: Wilkesy
Jun 10, 2009
Newbury
Luckily my daily commute is a transit van

Reactions: LR231998

andycupra

status subject to change
it's virtually impossible to compare one person's mpg against another. Different driving habits, different roads, different journey lengths, time of day, traffic bla bla bla.

One tip for improving MPG: simply try to do your journeys without using the brake pedal. - Clearly use it if you have too!
Everytime you use the brake you have spend fuel that you didn't need to. going for as long as you can without using the brake (and no changing down gears instead) then the more you will learn how to get the best mpg you can.
You will accelerate less, plan ahead more, anticipate better, change habits..

Otherwise: tyre pressures and not driving like a loon :)

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Make use of start stop as much as possible (if the engine isn't hot and you have heating on, turn the heater off when you stop and it will turn the engine off)

Lift and coast as much as possible

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Make use of start stop as much as possible (if the engine isn't hot and you have heating on, turn the heater off when you stop and it will turn the engine off)

Lift and coast as much as possible

The Stop/Start is not a fuel saving feature, it's to reduce emissions. Engine not running, no emissions. It reduces MPG as starting the car uses more fuel.
The only time I use it is if I'm in a traffic jam.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
The Stop/Start is not a fuel saving feature, it's to reduce emissions. Engine not running, no emissions. It reduces MPG as starting the car uses more fuel.
Tell that to my Cupra.

Turn start stop off and it will only do 25mpg.
Turn it on and the same journey it will do 32mpg.

I use it everyday and it does save fuel.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Tell that to my Cupra.

Turn start stop off and it will only do 25mpg.
Turn it on and the same journey it will do 32mpg.

I use it everyday and it does save fuel.

But your Cupra probably uses the same amount of fuel at idle as my 1.4 uses at 70mph ;)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
A cupra isn’t harsh on fuel at all. Modern turbo’s are economical. A 2.0l 4 cylinder turbo that the cupra has got is a small economical engine in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: Seastormer

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Compared to an SUV or American muscle car yes, but I can't see the green party promoting the cupra as their answer to global warming just yet...

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Actually it was found that having the start stop kick in for 30 seconds saves more fuel with re starting than if you left it running.

don’t want to sound like a smart arse - that’s just what I’ve read.

Reactions: Seastormer

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Compared to an SUV or American muscle car yes, but I can't see the green party promoting the cupra as their answer to global warming just yet...
Even compared to my old civic type r, high revving n/a 2.0l half as slow as a cupra but used twice as much go go juice.

Anything that can get circa 35mpg is not a massive gas guzzler these days. My old civic never even used to see 30mpg but it didn’t bother me you do not buy a sporty car for fuel economy, and if you do then you bought the wrong car for your needs

Reactions: SRGTD

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Even compared to my old civic type r, high revving n/a 2.0l half as slow as a cupra but used twice as much go go juice.

Anything that can get circa 35mpg is not a massive gas guzzler these days. My old civic never even used to see 30mpg but it didn’t bother me you do not buy a sporty car for fuel economy, and if you do then you bought the wrong car for your needs
When I had an ep3 I'd be lucky to get 300 miles to a tank but many smiles per miles

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
you do not buy a sporty car for fuel economy, and if you do then you bought the wrong car for your needs

Totally agree.

It amuses me over the amount of discussion on fuel economy on golfgtiforum.co.uk, and it also seems to be a favourite discussion topic for many Polo GTI drivers over on uk-polos.net. I can understand it being the focus of attention if someone buys an fuel economy-focused car, but not with a performance car. One forum member on golfgtiforum.co.uk got quite annoyed when I suggested he’d bought the wrong car, and perhaps he’d have been better off with a Golf GTD rather than a GTI.

IMO, if you drive a performance car, life’s too short to worry about whether you’re getting 25mpg, 30mpg, 35mpg or some other mpg figure. When your car’s getting low on fuel, just fill it up, drive it and enjoy it! Just my opinion though, and there’ll no doubt be some with an opposing view.

Switching off stop start is also part of my normal engine starting routine.............:whistle:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.