Dash rattle

Dec 20, 2019
Hi
I have the dash pinnacle rattle that seems to be very common on the MK3. Ive read that Seat have a technical bulletin on this and how to fix but wondered if anyone had a copy of the bulletin? Will no doubt save me some time and discussion with the dealer if I turn up with a copy :)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've asked a dealer to fix rattles several times and they have yet to successfully do it. They either they drove the car and didn't hear it or say they've fixed it when they haven't.

Where is the rattle?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I've asked a dealer to fix rattles several times and they have yet to successfully do it. They either they drove the car and didn't hear it or say they've fixed it when they haven't.

Where is the rattle?
There’s also a risk that by removing and replacing interior trim to try and find the source of the rattles, they damage or break the trim, or create additional rattles!

It’s happened a few times to forum members on various VW forums, and some less than honest dealers have then denied having caused the damage.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There’s also a risk that by removing and replacing interior trim to try and find the source of the rattles, they damage or break the trim, or create additional rattles!

The good news is that Seat bits are easier to get off the VW bits.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Rattles and water ingress; the two hardest things to find.

good luck!!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Rattles and water ingress; the two hardest things to find.

good luck!!
I had a Ford in the 1980’s that suffered from water ingress into the front passenger footwell. It took (I think) four visits to the dealer before it was sorted and they had to remove the dashboard (damaged in the process!) and have someone lay in the footwell while they hosed water over the outside to try and see where the water was entering. I was fed up with having to take it back to the dealer for failed attempts to sort it, and soggy carpets, pools of water in the footwell and steamed up windows - I was almost at the point of selling the car.

Turned out the cause was a badly sealed seam between the inner wing and bulkhead in the engine compartment.

Of the two - rattles and water leaks - IMO I’d rate rattles as the lesser of the two evils. I think I could more easily live with an interior rattling noise, or have a go at locating it and fixing it myself, but a water leak.......I couldn’t live with ongoing water ingress issues.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Just lower your steering wheel then either get some felt fabric or black micro fibre cloth and fold it up and then push it underneath the binacle and raise the steering column again to pinch it in place your rattle will stop.

Laurbach

Jan 22, 2019
Our 15 plate Leon had lots of rattles and was back to Seat 10 times total to get it fixed. They only made it worse and eventually gave up. Our new 19 plate Leon is even worse. I had it back to Seat twice and again, it's been made worse so it's not going back again :think:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Our 15 plate Leon had lots of rattles and was back to Seat 10 times total to get it fixed. They only made it worse and eventually gave up. Our new 19 plate Leon is even worse. I had it back to Seat twice and again, it's been made worse so it's not going back again :think:

Yes, the dealer quite often seems to create more rattles than the car had in the first place!

In my experience, creaks and rattles tend to be worse during the colder months, when the plastic trim panels are less flexible than they are during the warmer weather. I’d be very reluctant to ever let a dealer rip the interior of my car apart in an attempt to locate and cure a creak or rattle; I was able to locate the source, I’d invest in a set of trim removal tools and some self adhesive-backed foam insulation type material and have a go at sorting it myself.

Laurbach

Jan 22, 2019
Yes, the dealer quite often seems to create more rattles than the car had in the first place!

In my experience, creaks and rattles tend to be worse during the colder months, when the plastic trim panels are less flexible than they are during the warmer weather. I’d be very reluctant to ever let a dealer rip the interior of my car apart in an attempt to locate and cure a creak or rattle; I was able to locate the source, I’d invest in a set of trim removal tools and some self adhesive-backed foam insulation type material and have a go at sorting it myself.

I already did all 4 doors and the boot when I fitted sound deadening. The center armrest I got sorted too, now I need to fix something loose under the dash behind the air vents in each side. Sounds like a pipe/tube is loose and it's there all the time..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've been very fortunate in that all our cars are fairly rattle free, I think it's luck of the draw. The ST had dash rattles which the dealer failed to fix but I fixed them myself, A-pillars. You do get the odd squeak in the winter but nothing intolerable.

My wife doesn't notice or care about any of this stuff! As long as the car still drives the engine could be falling to bits and she'd be oblivious.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I've been very fortunate in that all our cars are fairly rattle free, I think it's luck of the draw. The ST had dash rattles which the dealer failed to fix but I fixed them myself, A-pillars. You do get the odd squeak in the winter but nothing intolerable.

My wife doesn't notice or care about any of this stuff! As long as the car still drives the engine could be falling to bits and she'd be oblivious.

Typical women lol , can't hear a thing in the car but moan if the tv is slightly high lol

Reactions: lee123

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Typical women lol , can't hear a thing in the car but moan if the tv is slightly high lol

My wife drove around all day on a flat tyre. Destroyed it. Which was bad enough but it had been fitted the day before :0(

Jerodequin

Dec 28, 2018
I already did all 4 doors and the boot when I fitted sound deadening. The center armrest I got sorted too, now I need to fix something loose under the dash behind the air vents in each side. Sounds like a pipe/tube is loose and it's there all the time..

How did you get the centre armrest sorted? Unless I rest my arm on mine, it buzzes and rattles over rougher roads - I haven't been able to precisely pinpoint where exactly it's coming from?!

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
Bought mine a year ago. After a few months the dash started rattling as well. Somewhere between the steering wheel and the dashboard. Took it back into the shop only for them to "not hear" anything. The staff was extremely helpful, and even went for a drive with me to show them where is it. Turns out it's very heat affected. So if you park your car in the sun - you most probably won't get any.

They told me to make a recording when it starts rattling and so I did. Went back, they took off the dash, put some felt material in between and that took care of 90% of the rattle. There was still some cases when driving over bumps when the same thing would happen.

What i finally ended up doing is putting my OBD11 in between the steering pillar and the console itself. It even positions the steering wheel vertically in a perfect position for me. Ther rattle is 100% gone.

So basically, just stick something "boxy" above the steering wheel and it should fix it. Just make sure it has no sharp edges so you don't damage that leathery part (my OBD11 is inside its own leather pouch)

Laurbach

Jan 22, 2019
How did you get the centre armrest sorted? Unless I rest my arm on mine, it buzzes and rattles over rougher roads - I haven't been able to precisely pinpoint where exactly it's coming from?!

The centre armrest was the only thing Seat fixed. They ordered a new one and fitted when I came in the second time for the dash rattle. They also replaced a rear light because it had a massive Spanish fly in it :yes:

Reactions: Jerodequin

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Might be a lottery this dash rattle thing. Had a Mk3 63 plate Leon Tech pack. Had a instrument panel rattle, A pillar rattle, front door rattle. Fixing the louder rattle just uncovered quieter squeaks and rattles. However I was lucky that the competent dealer I went to, managed to fix all the rattles (and they also ordered a new rear light cluster (without me telling them) when they noticed it was condensed with water when it was in to fix the rattles). They tighend the screw on the A pillar, they re-sat the instrument panel, and they removed both front door trims (rattle was only on driver's side) put some expanding foam noodle thing inside, and viola, all rattles gone! On the plus side, the doors were insulated and the front door speakers sounded better! Then I had a 2016 Mk5 facelift Ibiza SC. That one had 0 rattles. Unless over cobbled streets, and that was with 40 profile tyres on FR suspension, though I suspect those rattles were items in my car (including myself) not the car itself!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.