Power to feed reversing camera.

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Can I pick up easily a 12v feed when reverse is selected anywhere near the rear number plate, on a 64 plate Mk3? Been given a camera for Christmas.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The reverse light is where you get power for reversing sensors. I'm assuming that'll power the camera instead?

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Thanks Mr Pig. That is what I was afraid of, the reversing lights being in the opening tailgate, and the camera being a number plate mount down on the bumper.

Was kind of hoping there would be a reversing light pickup point in the bodywork light cluster, even though that is not where the reverse lights are situated.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The wire for the reversing light will be in the loom, you just need to find it. Follow the wires back into the body until you get to the point where the wire you need is as close as possible to where you want the power to go. Then just run your power cable to it. The ground can go to any metal on the body.

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Thanks once again for your help. Although I am a retired electronics engineer, over 15 years retired, there is something about car wiring that frightens me. I am dreading trying to remove panels to find the wiring loom, but get a good sunny day in the New Year and I may give it a try.

If all else fails a trip to an auto electrician may be called for, as a last resort. If anyone else has suggestions, or can help, wire colours, ease of access, etc, just keep it coming and boost my confidence.

Never believe I'm the person the family turn to with computer, wifi, house wiring problems!

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Although I am a retired electronics engineer, over 15 years retired, there is something about car wiring that frightens me.

It shouldn't Fitting a dash-cam or whatever is two wires. Power and connect the ground to any part of the car's chassis, or any bit of metal bolted to it, and you're golden. Tidy the wires so they can't rattle or chafe, cable ties and cloth tape. Usually the easiest thing to do is strap them to wires which are already there, like in this case the number plate illumination lamp wires.

Look for youtube vids on removing the panels.

Reactions: briancbb

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I had this problem with my last MK3 Leon when I fitted rear parking senors. In the end I took a switched + feed from the reversing light switch on the gearbox and ran the wire under the car exterior then up into the rear wheel arch on the nearside (with the arch liner removed). This worked well as the cable was hidden up inside the plastic under floor tray and hidden behind the wheel arch liner.

Attempts at trying to tap into the tailgate reversing light failed miserably as any attempt at trying to unlatch the flexible hose connections that pass through the body at the top of the tailgate just broke the latching clips. I had to reseal the connectors terminating the flexible cable guides as they risk letting water in over the rear seats - please be warned !

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Attempts at trying to tap into the tailgate reversing light failed miserably as any attempt at trying to unlatch the flexible hose connections that pass through the body at the top of the tailgate just broke the latching clips.

Why did you go away up there? Just pick up the wire in the loom down behind the back wheel arch.

Reactions: slartibartfast

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Thanks Red and Vinny, you have now given me some ideas to look at. Knowing where the wiring looms run is half the battle. Thought they may be up in the roof lining somewhere. Knowing they are behind the rear arch helps. Would this be offside? Hopefully I can find the wiring colour code.

As you say Mr Pig, it should be easy. I have no trouble running the single thin power and video cable back to the video monitor, let's just hope it is.

Red, I have a quite basic Mk3 with the Tech kit, LED lights and Infotainment. I do not have a power socket in the boot, unless it is hidden behind the lining.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You don't want to take power from the socket anyway as it's live all the time. The reversing light is ideal as the camera will only power up when you put the car in reverse.

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Thanks again Mr Pig, that is initially what I was looking for, but realised the reversing lights were in the hatch door and difficult to get at, so wondering where was easier to get the relevant switched power.

Thought Red ment the reverse switched 12v was available at the socket with other switched power (side lights etc) for tow bar electrics.

Red ibiza

Oct 9, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Thanks again Mr Pig, that is initially what I was looking for, but realised the reversing lights were in the hatch door and difficult to get at, so wondering where was easier to get the relevant switched power.

Thought Red ment the reverse switched 12v was available at the socket with other switched power (side lights etc) for tow bar electrics.

No sorry its the 12v accessory socket, (fag lighter) my estate has one in the boot.

Deleted member 98136

If you don't want to take the feed from the tail gate area the wiring which feeds all the rear lighting is above the passenger side rear wheel arch ( UK vehicles ).

The reverse positive wire should be blue/black.

Some diagrams which may help you to gain access to the wiring loom :-

https://www.upload.ee/image/4654459/rear_seat.PNG

https://www.upload.ee/image/4654453/lower_c-pillar.PNG

https://www.upload.ee/image/4654464/rear_side.PNG

These where originally posted by simmo1, I followed these when I installed sound deadening to the boot area and had no problems, just a bit time consuming.

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Stepdey, they are absolutely great instructions and should be considerable help. I will certainly be printing them off and give it a try when I am likely to get a day free of rain.

Deleted member 98136

If you so wish, I should have added that to assist you getting a wire through from the inside of the vehicle to under the vehicle, I found that there's already an unused grommet situated at boot floor level situated between the rear of the rear wheel arch and the near the rear of the car, that takes you down to inside the rear bumper area.
(This was on my previous 64 plate Leon).

Deleted member 98136

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Thanks Stepdey for your two very useful last posts, now feeling very much more confident to attempt this, given a day of acceptable weather.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.