Any1 Tried These?

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Ca...869788?hash=item5d92fad1dc:g:hWYAAOSwmS1digJQ

My sons grown out of the car seat and hes a messy bugger so need something to keep the seats in good condition. Suggestions welcome.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I have three kids, youngest is now nineteen, and my answer is simple. Don't lets the kids eat or drink in the car.

If all you do is protect stuff from the kid's accidents, carlesness, destructive behavior you're not teaching them anything. My daughter has a friend who in her late teens still gets nail varnish on the seats of her dad's car. But who allows her to put nail varnish on in the car?

No exceptions. My wife made an exception for a McDonalds years ago and my son, who was maybe about four at the time, dropped a chocolate milkshake on the back seat of the car. Never fully got the stain out.

There is no need for a child to eat in the car. If they don't do it they'll never miss it. If you let them they'll expect it. Some good reasons not to let them. Apart from the inevitable mess, if a kid in the back chokes on a sweet while you're doing seventy on the motorway they could be dead before you can get into a position to deal with it.

Same around the house. Don't shield things from the kids, teach them to be careful, to not touch certain things. You'll end up with well behaved kids who will look after their own stuff and respect the belongings of others.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
And in real life, those seat covers will look like a melted bin bag! ;0)

This made me chuckle, but it’s a good description of the way many of these protective seat covers may look in practice. They might have been a perfect fit on the slab sided seats found in the majority of 1970’s / 1980’s cars, but with many modern car seats having raised bolsters on seat backs and cushions and being more contoured to the occupant’s body, I don’t think any universal seat cover is going to look that good, as it’s highly unlikely to fit snugly around the seat contours, so could end up looking like..................a melted bin bag.

I've just been reading a discussion thread over on golfgtiforum.co.uk where someone was looking for recommendations for some protective seat covers for the factory option (very expensive!) sports bucket seats in their Golf GTI Clubsport. Someone recommended these, and said they were a perfect fit;

https://www.capitalseating.co.uk/vw-golf-gti-mk5-mk6-mk7-wingback-protective-seat-cover

They might protect the seats, but IMO they’re not a ‘perfect fit’. With my car OCD, I couldn’t live with something that looked like that on my car seats - I’d just be careful (as I am) on how I get in and out of the seats, and have a no food or drink policy (as I do) in my car.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I was afraid you would all say the above :p

These things are just rubbish.

When I was a kid you would visit your old aunt and she'd have clear plastic over the hall carpet. Maybe plastic covers on the arms of the chairs too. I never understood the logic. You spend money on nice things then you don't enjoy them. Instead, you hide them away, make them horrible for you to use so that the next owner gets to enjoy them!

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
I know what you mean i was only gonna use the bottom bit in the back ive gone for a wee cheapy seat pad instead. Just trying to protect the alcantara seat bottom don't wanna get a bill if theres a stain on it when the lease is up. I know we all love our cars here and we should ban eating in the car but a lot of my time is spent going for a drive to get a coffee if my son wasn't autistic then id eat in but unfortunately the only time he is calm is when the car is moving :p.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
These are more like seat pads than the pull over thin covers that generally look awful. They do look a lot better, but not as good as in the pictures. The pictures are a mixture of renders and images of never packed, perfect condition units fitted to perfectly suited seats.

In practice they have been packed up and show creases etc that take a while to disappear, they also wont fit as perfectly on all seats, especially back seats which are all very different sizes and styles.

If you want to protect the alcantara then a fabric water proofer like G-Techniq I1 or Gyeon FabricCoat is simpler

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just trying to protect the alcantara seat bottom...

My Golf had alcantara seats, or suede as we used to call it ;0) One of the few things about the car I miss. Was one of the reasons I bought it if I'm honest.