SDcard music duplication problem

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
After having used the same SD card in my old Leon 290 Black Edition Cupra, I added an extra album to the card and noticed that it appeared to have duplicated itself on the car menu. Thinking that I'd maybe removed the card from the computer whilst it was writing or something similar, I deleted the album, checked it wasn't showing in the car and then added it again. Lo and behold it had once again duplicated that album.
Deciding that it must be the album tracks (which I had used an MP3 editor on), I then copied a different album back to the SD card. Blow me down with a feather duster as once more it's gone and duplicated them!
So, any idea what's going wrong here?

FYI, I'm currently copying the entire SD card contents to my HD prior to a reformat/re-copy but I doubt that will remove the problem.
Anyone else had this issue and solved it? RTFM is a last resort of course......

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
If it works like my old car the MMI will create a file called WMPInfo.xml when you put in the card. If you add an album to the card just delete it. The MMI/car stereo will then re-index the card and create a new WMPInfo file so it can access everything quickly. It's like an index it refers to.

This could all be nonsense because the SEAT MMI doesn't do this, mind!

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I don't know if it is helpful but I put together over 2.500 tracks from numerous albums (for use as background music in my favourite bar in the Algarve) in 12 folders (Albums)
I changed the folder name to Algarve 1 etc. (but retained original Artist, Track Name and Album Name, then re-numbered each track in each folder,then also changed the "Genre" to Algarve 1, Algarve 2 etc. using MP3 Tag (and/or created a playlist for each folder)
Then select Genre or Folder and Voila!

Last edited:

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
A little bit of an update as further additions to the SD also caused other problems. I tried the same card in another VAG car and everything was good so it dawned on me to try one last thing.........
In every other VAG car that I've had, just removing the SD from the car didn't require anything special but I remember see a menu item about 'Safely Removing' items. I tried this and it now appears to work correctly. At least the thought of formatting/copying won't stop me getting new music uploaded to the card now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.