Struggling To Decide Between Specs

Jan 1, 2020
Looking at changing cars and I've across 2 good deals for Seat Leon's.

The first one is a 2016 1.6TDI with the technology pack, but has very high mileage for its age.

The second one is a 2014 2.0 TDI Fr which is about £500 more expensive but the mileage on it is much better.

Is the 2.0 worth spending a bit more for? Or is there not a lot between the engines? I know it's nice to have a bit of power but £500 is £500

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Not just that though, I think the 2014 model would have a different infotainment screen (if that bothers you) not exactly sure of differences , resolution I think, also does the 2016 have tech pack most would have!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
The 2014 model will have a smaller infotainment screen like @Leonfr140 said, but if that's not a problem for you the 2.0l is the better choice going off mileage. Is the 1.6 the SE model with the LED lights? I'd definitely say an extra £500 for the 2.0l is well worth it. If it's an FR you get the nicer styling on the outside, comfier seats, drive profile select (sport/eco etc) and I think the FRs come with dual zone climate control as standard, can't remember on that one.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If the 2.0 litre diesel is the 184 ps power output version, it’ll also have independent rear suspension. The 1.6 TDI will have a beam rear axle.

Jan 1, 2020
Not just that though, I think the 2014 model would have a different infotainment screen (if that bothers you) not exactly sure of differences , resolution I think, also does the 2016 have tech pack most would have!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I hadn't actually noticed that it was slightly smaller on the 14 plate! But looking at the pictures you're right. Doesn't look too much smaller but I'll get a better idea tomorrow.

The 2014 model will have a smaller infotainment screen like @Leonfr140 said, but if that's not a problem for you the 2.0l is the better choice going off mileage. Is the 1.6 the SE model with the LED lights? I'd definitely say an extra £500 for the 2.0l is well worth it. If it's an FR you get the nicer styling on the outside, comfier seats, drive profile select (sport/eco etc) and I think the FRs come with dual zone climate control as standard, can't remember on that one.

Yep its got the LED headlights and the FR has got the dual climate control. I think the 1.6 already offers better mpg than what I've got so if the FR further improves it then even better.

Hopefully gonna have a test drive in both tomorrow. Heard the DSG Auto's are pretty handy too

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Looking at changing cars and I've across 2 good deals for Seat Leon's.

The first one is a 2016 1.6TDI with the technology pack, but has very high mileage for its age.

The second one is a 2014 2.0 TDI Fr which is about £500 more expensive but the mileage on it is much better.

Is the 2.0 worth spending a bit more for? Or is there not a lot between the engines? I know it's nice to have a bit of power but £500 is £500

I’d definitely recommend the 2.0 plus it’s a 6 spd rather than the 5spd of the 1.6 so in reality is just as economical especially on long runs. FR will drive a little sharper too. Does the FR have the Tech Pack though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2020
I’d definitely recommend the 2.0 plus it’s a 6 spd rather than the 5spd of the 1.6 so in reality is just as economical especially on long runs. FR will drive a little sharper too. Does the FR have the Tech Pack though?

Yep, its got the tech pack too

I assume you get head unit replacements for the Seat Leon if I was to decide the screen was a bit on the small side?

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds

I assume you get head unit replacements for the Seat Leon if I was to decide the screen was a bit on the small side?
Nope. The head units (MIBs) are a bit weird. I think to swap from the small screen to the big one you'd also have to replace the unit that lives in the glovebox and have it all coded in. Personally I'd live with the smaller screen for having the dual zone climate control over the standard aircon. I've had both and the dual zone is leagues ahead of the standard AC.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018

I think I have the same head unit and it’s fine. Definitely go FR then for £500 if you can. Will be worth more than that if you get rid

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
1.6 TDi. Great fuel economy, 50mpg, but sluggish. 2.0 TDi will be much faster but poorer economy

2016 info screen slightly bigger but in use you simply will not notice it.

Independent rear suspension really only makes a big difference when pushing it but when you do it is more fluid, composed and fun.

FR suspension is, quite frankly, too hard. Yes, it will corner better but the standard setup is still ok and is much more comfortable around town and on the motorway. ie, where you spend most of your time! My vote for best compromise, standard suspension with 17 or 18'' wheels.

Most of the extra toys in the FR are a waste of time. Climate control is more buttons and complexity to do the same thing. Seats are not more comfortable, they are identical except for bigger side bolsters which look great but are actually more restrictive.

For a general all round balance, good to drive but comfortable in all conditions with reasonable economy I think the ideal is an SE with the 1.2 petrol engine. And the ST (estate). On the move you don't notice the extra weight, it's not that much heavier, and it's much more practical.

Best economy is the 1.6 diesel no question but it's a lifeless engine. Ruins the car. If you don't care about the economy, get a petrol. Just feels so much better to drive.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.