PADS STUCK TO REAR DISCS

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I washed the car AND dried the brakes by driving it around and left it in the garage over the seasonal period.
BUT the outer pads stuck SOLID to the discs. [Auto parking brake]
Left some material behind after a rather brutal moved off so stopped and cleaned them up with a sharp tool and some emery. A couple of firm stops stopped it knocking.

All okay now. But feel a bit of a T**T now

What can I do better for 'NEXT' time.
[Would it have been better to 'gently' prise the pad using disc and pad back plate away first before a move off]
I always used to my leave cars with the brakes off in my level garage. NEVER ever had a problem in 50 years until now.
I can still do that with a bit of a FAFF the same. [Stop the engine. Ignition on, Brake off, Ignition off. Lock car]
Suggestions welcome
Does the brake being held off consume any battery power?

Cheers Andy

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Manual handbrake, but my pads usually stick the next day after washing it. Prob was bad this time cause you didn't use it for a few days. If it's used regularly I wouldn't worry. But next time you store it for a few days. Maybe consider leaving the handbrake off / in gear / maybe chock the wheels for extra peace of mind.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Ahh thanks. Sounds awful when it does that.
Manual handbrake, but my pads usually stick the next day after washing it. Prob was bad this time cause you didn't use it for a few days. If it's used regularly I wouldn't worry. But next time you store it for a few days. Maybe consider leaving the handbrake off / in gear / maybe chock the wheels for extra peace of mind.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ahh thanks. Sounds awful when it does that.

I tend to try to stick it in reverse and with gentle throttle let the car rock back and forwards till they unstick. But yeah, I hate the clunk.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
With a manual handbrake you get to decide how hard the brake is on. So you can leave the car in gear and not gorilla the brake so it's less likely to stick. I've talked to mechanics about electric brakes and they don't like them. Say they feck up all the time.

Manufacturers won't stop giving us crap we don't want until we stop buying their cars. If you say to your dealer 'Yeah, I was going to buy a new car but I'm not buying one with an electric handbrake'. Enough people do that, just maybe they'll listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legojon

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
mine did exactly the same, washed it on 20th December, parked it up then tried to drive it a week or so later, thing wouldn't budge for a bit! I always used to leave hand brake off in garage but can't any more...

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
CupraRskiva.jpg
CupraRpads1.jpg
CupraRpads2.jpg
Cupra R 2018. Back in October I experienced a big bang (more than usal) from left rear brake the day after wash with handbrake activated over night..

Checked it after next wash and the disc looked not good. I dissembled the pads and as you can see on the picture material is missing on just one pad, (left rear outer). I sanded it as even I could and mounted it. After 2 sanding sessions it worked great again! Had to brake hard a couple of times from hi speed before it got even again.

Have just about 10000 km (7500 miles) on the odo now.

/Peter

Last edited:

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for that.
Will do.
Does anyone know if selection of handbrake OFF consumes battery power. Eg like Hgv air brakes

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
B****y hell Swede that was what mine was like.
Well done good result. Such a lot of work for being a Car Nut or Enthusiast.
Thanks for the kind reply made me feel just a bit less like a total t**t

Just been out and made sure the brakes were off.

Cheers Andy

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
In my case it was obvious since the rust didn’t went away when I used the car. Have also a MK 7 Golf Alltrack and my son have a MK7 Golf R. They work similar after wash but the Cupra had the highest BANG! I forgot about not using the handbrake …..

/Peter

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I parked mine on some mats to absorb any water. Dragged it out the garage into the drive like on a skid.!!!
Felt like a real Pillock.

Reactions: TheSwede

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I've had the same problem. Left the car on the drive for 4 days, it hadn't been washed but I guess due to the humid environment we get in the UK the rear pads were well stuck on, I had to attempt to pull away a few times without the car moving until it finally popped free. It happens to a lesser extent most mornings during the winter. Seems like a design fault to me, I wonder if SEAT would take any notice?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Seems like a design fault to me, I wonder if SEAT would take any notice?

They would have to get rid of the electric handbrake.

When we humans pull a handbrake on we won't always apply the same pressure. If we're parked on a steep hill we might go for full-moo, gorilla two-hands but on a fairly flat road with the car in gear, less force.

But control of the brake has been handed to an idiot, who has no clue where the car is. Or if it's wet or cold. So, to ensure the car won't roll, all the idiot can do is apply maximum brake pressure every time. Which it turns out, has its drawbacks. Who'da thunk it?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The problem doesn’t have anything to do with electronic hand brake vs manual hand brake. It’s oxide between the pads and the disc which cause the problem :).

Have the pads changed? I've never had a pad do that. I've only ever had pads bind on a bit. I get that it can happen to any brake, we can all pull the brake on hard, but surely more brake pressure isn't going to help?

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Does anyone know if selection of handbrake OFF consumes battery power.

Unless it's unlike other cars then no it doesn't consume power except when moving (or trying to move if it's hit an end stop and not yet realised it has, momentarily).

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for the great replies guys.
Thanks Cupra14. The answer I also wanted. I understand that .
Cheers Andy

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.