Navigation issue

LRF

Dec 3, 2018
I'm not sure if this is a common fault or just something in the settings which can be changed but when I'm using the navigation in a 2018 cupra it seems to always want to take me off a main A road put me onto a slip road go around a roundabout and then loop me back onto the dual carriageway, not sure if anyone else has had this issue or just me.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The built in nav is only there for comic value, use Google maps instead.

Seat went really cheap on the base maps, it will take you down footpaths and through rivers/railway lines - never trust it.

Reactions: andrew.scopes

LRF

Dec 3, 2018
The built in nav is only there for comic value, use Google maps instead.

Seat went really cheap on the base maps, it will take you down footpaths and through rivers/railway lines - never trust it.
Ah ok thanks for the reply just never had the issue with my 18 plate Ibiza which has the same unit as far as I'm aware

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
When was the last time you updated the maps? I had the same issue in 2018 but after a map update in 2019 and driving the same route it no longer does it.

LRF

Dec 3, 2018
When was the last time you updated the maps? I had the same issue in 2018 but after a map update in 2019 and driving the same route it no longer does it.
I haven't got a clue only got it in December , how do I update them?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-53

There's a very long thread here.

But assuming you have an MIB2 standard system with the sd card. Then follow the steps and use the links in the latest posts on that thread to download the newest maps etc from november 2019.

TAKE A COPY OF YOUR EXISTING SD CARD FILES AND KEEP THEM SAFE.

Can't stress that enough. You will need to copy the new nav files to your existing sd card and then copy your existing overall.nds file back onto the card. If you forget to take a copy of your existing files, it's an expensive trip to the dealer.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Most car sat nan's, generally are absolute tosh.

That's why they now supply smartphone integration. To use other apps....

I still to this day after 10 years in the motor trade, can not understand why Google maps, ways, or any other good sat nav system have not joined together with car manafactures and made everyone's life much easier.

Reactions: Walone

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Most car sat nan's, generally are absolute tosh.

That's why they now supply smartphone integration. To use other apps....

I still to this day after 10 years in the motor trade, can not understand why Google maps, ways, or any other good sat nav system have not joined together with car manafactures and made everyone's life much easier.
My s4 uses Google earth as the Nav, used to give you street view when you arrived Aswell but that's stopped for some reason

Tell

Staff member
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-53

There's a very long thread here.

But assuming you have an MIB2 standard system with the sd card. Then follow the steps and use the links in the latest posts on that thread to download the newest maps etc from november 2019.

TAKE A COPY OF YOUR EXISTING SD CARD FILES AND KEEP THEM SAFE.

Can't stress that enough. You will need to copy the new nav files to your existing sd card and then copy your existing overall.nds file back onto the card. If you forget to take a copy of your existing files, it's an expensive trip to the dealer.

Goto page 99 on that thread and work up. November 2019 release is available. 1430. Follow notes !.

The standard Seat navigation uses TomTom cartography. The Plus unit Here Maps.

The standard ones when shipped can go out with old maps. There was an issue in the release a couple of years back which is now sorted where it assumed you were towing a trailer and you got trailer speeds. Think Seat bungs them out with 1030 on them before the issue which is now fixed. June 2018 release was 1030 standard release.

Google cartography isn't the bees knees. There are areas where the maps are out of date due to them not sending survey cars around and using old satellite images so can't validate what is crowd sourced so they reject users reports of changes. You can't draw the road map changes on either, just tell them where they are. TomTom seems better on getting survey cars out but doesn't allow map drawing but takes on-board comments... upto September 2019. Here maps allows drawing, up-to-date sat images, survey cars, uses crowd sourcing to validate.

Google scores on real time information gained by other Google map users progress. Others rely on different road observation systems fed into TMC. Real time versions in some stand alone systems. Timing issue with TMC. Internet connected systems are said to be faster using the same TMC data but faster refresh. Not rolled out to Seat yet. SIM card in the unit for that. On VW cars.

Obviously the publication of the maps is faster on Google but if roads are missing an issue. It's new housing estates that get left off these systems. The core teams know about road developments but not new housing builds. The achilles heel in terms of how they get their information if they aren't getting survey cars around to update, have good quality timely sat images and a base of crowd sources. They do also uses other techniques of scanning competitors maps to generate error reports plus analysis of mobile phone tracks. The UK gold standard cartography is the commercial OS local level survey data that they dont buy into, but look at for validation, but published yearly.

Hope that helps.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I've followed the guide and updated my 2018, 0915 version to the latest 1430 - now we'll see if it still tries to take me down it's usual bridleway shortcut and around the roundabout at each motorway junction...

Tell

Staff member
There is some rubbish that gets into TomTom cartography, one round here is that it takes you across a live tank firing range. That's jokers that have added that. Putting in the tank track routes as roads. Not validated correctly by TomTom. MOD have notices out to warn sat nav drivers. Here Maps is fine on that one.

The problem in rural areas is where unpaved roads get digitised in as paved and they link from one paved road to another so the sat nav sees that as best. Problem with crowd sourced data is that arm chair mappers digitise unpaved roads in as paved. You would hope that non paved roads don't get imported into the cars cartography as viable roads. Saying that Google Maps has one in round here where the Streetview car went off pista and the council has a no throu road sign up... explains why you see cars bouncing along a dirt track that ones in Here Maps as well, not on TomTom.

The other thing is you always pick the red route option in rural areas, the quickest where it uses road speed to find the best route. Here again incorrectly digitised road speeds lead to the sat nav picking stupid routes.

You can register for a TomTom account and submit corrections which eventually will filter into the Seat standard navigation system if they are accepted via the validation process.

http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

I know some Seat users are doing this. Joining in the crowd sourcing. Take a photograph / supply a web link to the missing development so the central team can validate against sat images. LA OS data etc.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.