Is it possible through coding to switch off the upper led on the taillights?

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
Can I achieve the second photo using coding?

Attachments

• 20191219_223448_capture.jpg
    20191219_223448_capture.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Screenshot_20200103-142327_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200103-142327_Gallery.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 191

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Not certain what your regs/law is but in the UK it would be illegal/non conform/test failure.
So probably no one has yet done it.
What is the idea/reason?

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Answering OP original question: No.

I have looked into this myself - every now and then it pops up as a question and oddly with the same photos ;)
Those are taken on the exact moment both blinkers are fasting, when the blinkers are off.
I assume the portion of the light that is off is turned off by some relay attached to the blinker circuit, meaning that there are no other means to turn it off.
It would look cool ;)

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge

I have looked into this myself - every now and then it pops up as a question and oddly with the same photos ;)
Those are taken on the exact moment both blinkers are fasting, when the blinkers are off.
I assume the portion of the light that is off is turned off by some relay attached to the blinker circuit, meaning that there are no other means to turn it off.
It would look cool ;)
Yeah, without hardware changes, it is not possible. I looked at it when I was thinking of retrofitting the facelift taillights on to my Mk3 Leon. Discovered that the tail light turning off to allow the indicator to come on was actually part of the tail light itself rather than coded in. IT will be the same with the headlights. It all changed on the facelift, The lights now just have a power supply and a data cable that tell the lights how to behave rather than an individual wire to each light.

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt

It would look cool ;)
Yes that's what I did I took a photo while unlocking the car to see how it would look with upper strip being turned off :) . Was really hoping for it to be doable :(

Nov 7, 2019
Not certain what your regs/law is but in the UK it would be illegal/non conform/test failure.
So probably no one has yet done it.
What is the idea/reason?
What would make this illegal in the UK? I was keen to do this myself but if I'm at risk of being pulled, I'll pass on it. Just curious as to what requirements it breaks.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
What would make this illegal in the UK? I was keen to do this myself but if I'm at risk of being pulled, I'll pass on it. Just curious as to what requirements it breaks.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
I can’t comment on the legalities of this change. However, with fewer vehicles on the road under the current Covid-19 lockdown, and the Police (in my area at least) stopping more vehicles to check they’re only being used for ‘essential journeys’, there’s an increased risk of any driver being stopped. I wouldn’t be doing anything to my car that might give the police a reason / excuse to give me a ticket.

Reactions: Luke Gardner

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
As far as I’m aware in the UK, that if lights, headlight washers etc are fitted they must work, at least at MOT time, no testers on here?

Reactions: Luke Gardner
Nov 7, 2019
I can’t comment on the legalities of this change. However, with fewer vehicles on the road under the current Covid-19 lockdown, and the Police (in my area at least) stopping more vehicles to check they’re only being used for ‘essential journeys’, there’s an increased risk of any driver being stopped. I wouldn’t be doing anything to my car that might give the police a reason / excuse to give me a ticket.
Definitely agree with you here and I've never been one to have tints on the front or wrongly spaced plates. I'm just more curious if anyone would actually notice that these wouldn't be standard if the top bar of the rear tail lights wasn't on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.