Running temp issue

fillmecca

Fillmecca
Aug 9, 2010
Cumbria
Recently got myself a seat leon cupra mk2

The car doesn’t sit at 90 degrees it’s fluctuates between 60-80. Only ever get up to 90 if sat in slow traffic.

Also noticed the cars cooling fans are on permanently when the car is running.

This car was purchased from my local seat main dealer and has been back to them twice regarding this issue and they’ve basically said this is normal?
Now I may be wrong but surely the car should stay at 90 degrees once it’s got up to temperature. And the cooling fans shouldn’t be only all the time?

Can any of you guys shed any light on this?

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Thermostat is knackered by the sounds of it. Very common on vag cars of a certain age.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip Santi

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
As above. The main dealer is talking rubbish. It should go to 90 in a couple of miles and stay there for the whole journey.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Yeah sounds like thermostat, had similar issues on my TDI. Would take ages to get to temperature and even then never quite would, if I where to put the heater on the temp would drop.

Not a difficult fix on most engines if you are mechanically minded.

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
I have the same issue on my Altea TFSI - looks to be a fiddly old job due to the position (lots of vids on YouTube). I'm pretty mechanically minded, but not sure I can be bothered, so will look to get a cost from local independents

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
Agreed thermostat and yes it's a git of a thing to change.
Don't trust the cluster gauge either, it can be inaccurate - mine used to say it was at 90 but VCDS and 3rd party gauge showed it fluctuating between 70-85 when up to temp.
New 'stat fixed it and it's now always 87-90 when hot.

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
I've just had a quote to change mine from a local indy - £220 so will probably go with it

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members