Altea 2.0tdi dsg ignition barrel

Matt6r

Oct 10, 2015
Hello all,
I'm hoping someone can advise me.

I have 2008 altea XL 2.0 diesel automatic.
The ignition barrel has completely siezed.

If I buy a barrel, key and ecu second hand, does it have to be off exactly the same model? Or will one from a 1.9tdi manual be okay for example?

Seat want £565 to fit a new barrel and code my key!!!

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
Matt.

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
mate mine went about 3 or 4 months ago, but i fixed it for nothing, okay so the steering look doesnt work now but hey my car is worth like 1500 quid max, all i did was to remove the barrel and a few cogs and i found a broken of piece of metal which was jamming up the barrel, took that out and reassembled it turns fine, let me see if i can find any pictures or videos

yes you can get a new barrel housing but i hear its a bitch to get off as the bolts sheer off when they are installed (on purpose) so getting them off to replace the bracket / housing is a right bitch

Let me see wot i can find for you

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
here we go mate, take a look at the thread on the link below

If you can get the barrel out you can test that bit on its own,
You just need to get it to position II I think then shove a pin or a small piece of metal down the hole and it should slide out, mine took a while to get out but keep fiddling with it and it should pop out,

See if it turns freely if so you can rule out key barrel,

So if it turns fine it could be the same issue as I had,

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....turn-in-ignition-barrrel.453770/#post-4864524

I should have taken a photo after every piece l took out of the barrel but i was in a rush and needed it back on the road ASAP
Just lay them in a line as you take them out and you will be fine, the video on that thread above helped too

I took mine apart while it was still on the car, so didnt get as deep as to remove the steering lock bit, it was only about 3 or 4 pieces max.

Has to be worth a look, the parts only go back in one way and if you pull them out with a long nose pliers and take photos as you go you should be good, to be honest getting the barrel out was the hardest bit, a right faff to wiggle and jiggle out lol

Matt6r

Oct 10, 2015
Awesome info. I'll give this ago and see what I find. The plus point is that I cant make it any worse!
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, might just save me a fortune :worship:

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
let me know if you find anything, good luck,

if the barrel is okay and you fancy changing the bracket this guy has a good strip down and refit

its a jetta but i reckon its probably much the same, I have had to change a wiper stalk in the past and it was the same sort of faff as he has to get that far

laters

Matt6r

Oct 10, 2015
Not so good, the lock is jammed so tight there was no movement on the barrel at all. I've given up for now and asked my local independant garage to have a bash.
Let you know what they find!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.