Key Fob Issues

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. I've just bought a new remote key fob shell, as my existing one is looking a bit knackered, and have transferred over the circuit-board and the key to the new shell.

The new fob now unlocks and locks the doors, like normal, but won't start the car?? When I put the key in the ignition, it brings all the dash lights on etc but then says 'SAFE' in the display near the mileage and won't start the engine.

I've synchronised the fob in line with the manual but to no avail (but then it always unlocked the doors so I don't think it's the transponder anyway?).

The weird thing is I was getting so annoyed with it the other night, that I put all the bits back in the old shell in a bit of a huff and the following morning it worked!!

Had another go today, with all the internals into the new shell, and I get this SAFE thing again. Wondering whether I need to leave it to 'reset' overnight?

Who knows. Anyone else heard of this or can offer any words of wisdom?

Thanks all.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
lol there is a glass transponder in the top part of the key fob for your immobiliser.

Under the old Seat badge is a screw. Undo this and split the top section in half. You will see a small glass transponder encased in glue. You may be lucky and it might fall out. Otherwise you will need to carefully remove the glue around it with a pin or cut it out bit by bit :)

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Thanks mate, never noticed that! Looks well glued in - don't want to break it so this may take a while...

Thanks again!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Just take your time. I used the combination of a sewing needle to scrape away the glue and cutting around the plastic with some pliars until I could get a very small screwdriver under the glass tube and lift it gently.
Some are held in stronger than others.

Reactions: emerycloth

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Sorted, thanks very much. Quite tricky as I was afraid of breaking the glass. Had to pretty much destroy the surrounding plastic with a stanley blade, but an hour later managed to prise it free and the key now works perfectly.

Thanks again.