what have you done to your car today ?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
, why take them then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He literally put them in my hand after i said "its cool i'll stick wth OEM". Hes rather enthusiastic.

Im guessing he wants rid, and i'll never turn down free parts! I'll probably try the Forge one if i can get it to budge.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
There aren't many feelings worse than starting a job and then realising someone's done it before you - and they've done it badly.

Went to remove the screws from the boot grab handles and there weren't any there - no wonder the boot always clanged when I shut it. Does anyone know what screws I need for this?

Three of these spring clips are also missing - are they the 22mm ones?

1d8c7438be0f1998e525f13d6edac4d1.jpg

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
There aren't many feelings worse than starting a job and then realising someone's done it before you - and they've done it badly.

Went to remove the screws from the boot grab handles and there weren't any there - no wonder the boot always clanged when I shut it. Does anyone know what screws I need for this?

Hate those clips...

Reactions: iammooks

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Car started making a loud whirring/whining noise on cold start while the choke is on, turns off once revs return. Sounds like a jet lol

SAI?

If so..thinking of removing it, but need MOT in a couple months and not sure how to get rid of the light it will chuck up before then...

Any tips? Ive seen people mention putting a resistor on to bypass the light, but have no clue what that is haha.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey

I tried the dealers they were useless as I had 3 of those clips but all different sizes or cutouts in them and they said only the smaller one exist? There are small ones for the upper section and 2 larger types for the lower boot trim with the grab handles. 2 of these nearest the grab handles have cur outs so I had to make my own from some ebay ones. As for the screw I dont know but it was about a 1cm long thread but I had mine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: iammooks

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I can sort out any screws and clips if necessary but it probably won't be until the end of the week as I'm currently immobilised due to a back injury.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I tried the dealers they were useless as I had 3 of those clips but all different sizes or cutouts in them and they said only the smaller one exist? There are small ones for the upper section and 2 larger types for the lower boot trim with the grab handles. 2 of these nearest the grab handles have cur outs so I had to make my own from some ebay ones. As for the screw I dont know but it was about a 1cm long thread but I had mine.

The whole thing is getting on my nerves. I've ordered some 22mm ones, as that's the total length of the ones I had in there. I get the feeling that the VW self-tapping screws will work in the grab handles - and I've spent half the afternoon looking for the right size, the right length etc. There aren't many things more frustrating than trying to find the right screw when you haven't actually got the screw. Even if it's a bodge, at least it'll be held in place.

Went out to the car earlier to check if it was still opening, and decided to see if the physical key did anything, and once I shut the boot again, the handle had disengaged again. I'm going to see if I can take it out and strip it down and get it working again, but it's not the easiest thing when it means either trying to do the work by the car, or leaving the car insecure with the boot pretty much open.

It always happens when I've got my MoT coming up... I'd rather get the OBD scanner out to make sure I pass on emissions, but instead I'm laid out in the boot trying to get the lock sorted.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
£1150 lighter thanks to new clutch, DMF and front wishbones :-(

That's what I'm worried about at the moment - the clutch needs doing on mine and I'm really not wanting to spend a lot.

Thinking about doing it myself - has anyone here got experience of it? I might do a write-up like I did when I changed my track rods so that people can give it a go themselves. If that's the case, I'll start a new thread...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members