Cleaning after ceramic coating

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Hey guys,

I’ll shortly be getting my car ceramic coated and just wondering what the best way of washing and maintaining after a ceramic coating is if anyone has any experience or advice? What products are any good and anything in particular that’s handy to know?

Cheers!

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
A good quality Snowfoam should be all you need to remove dirt and grime.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
I have ceramic on my grey one. Its basic-that means no prep work like polish was done before ceramic application. Except on glass,there was polishing.
Maintance is good snowfoam. Or good shampoo. I use geyon bath+. Almost a year,and beading is still there.

On rims there is also full ceramic treated. 75% of dirt goes off with power wash. Else with normal bucket wash. No scrubing needed

Poslano z mojega SM-G390F z uporabo Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Irrespective of whether I had a ceramic coating or not on my car (I don’t), I’d still do my normal wash routine; a snowfoam pre-wash, followed by a ‘safe’ two bucket method wash with lambswool mitt and ph neutral shampoo, and then dry using a warm air dryer and / or some good quality plush micro fibre drying towels.

Doing my normal wash routine would mean I should be able to spot any stone chips or minor parking scratches that might have happened since the previous wash that I’d need to attend to. A quick snowfoam and rinse might mean I’d not spot this type of damage - some of which is inevitable on a daily driver (e.g. stone chips), and a ceramic coating won’t prevent from happening.

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
Irrespective of whether I had a ceramic coating or not on my car (I don’t), I’d still do my normal wash routine; a snowfoam pre-wash, followed by a ‘safe’ two bucket method wash with lambswool mitt and ph neutral shampoo, and then dry using a warm air dryer and / or some good quality plush micro fibre drying towels.

Agree on that metod. It is safe for ceramic ond non ceramic car.
Difference is just shampoo,and dirt doesnt stick to surface so much and it easyer to remove it.

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Normal wash routine for mine
Valet Pro Citrus pre wash
Snowfoam (depends on how dirty what brand I use.)
2 bucket method using Nielsen shampoo
And every 4th wash I add a layer of Collinite 845.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Speak to the detailer that applied the coating.
Most of the coating companies will have a guide on cleaning and what products to use to maintain the coating.

andycupra

status subject to change
what's all this about not being able to wash ceramic coated cars in the sunshine?
family member got his Mercedes ceramic coated (black car), and when he was washing it the sun was not out, but did appear when he was halfway through and the ceramic coat then went cloudy. £300 +VAT to correct.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
what's all this about not being able to wash ceramic coated cars in the sunshine?
family member got his Mercedes ceramic coated (black car), and when he was washing it the sun was not out, but did appear when he was halfway through and the ceramic coat then went cloudy. £300 +VAT to correct.
No thanks to that

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
First, you should never wash your car in sunlight. Like never ever..

Ceramic coatings can be sensitive to waterspots and if you wash in sunshine or when the paint is warm all chemicals will dry on the paint and is probably what happend. Coating isnt gone(unless it was really badly applied) its just contaminated. Either you try with the same products again or a cleanser shampoo like Labocosmetica Purifica.

Washing a ceramic coated car isnt any different to wash a non coated car, just easier to clean and dry :)

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I’ve done mine a couple of times and it’s lasted an unbelievable about of time, cheap stuff I got off wish, I done it twice on the full car (except wheels they will be done this year) and the dirt still practically falls off, all the windows still have the ‘rain away’ effect and the last time it was applied was in June.

Also I live in Scotland so the fact that it’s lasted so long when I’ve been through all sorts of ways through the years, none of them done half the job.

Washing is as normal, quick dry at the end looks like it’s just been polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MATT RILEY

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
First, you should never wash your car in sunlight. Like never ever..

Ceramic coatings can be sensitive to waterspots and if you wash in sunshine or when the paint is warm all chemicals will dry on the paint and is probably what happend. Coating isnt gone(unless it was really badly applied) its just contaminated. Either you try with the same products again or a cleanser shampoo like Labocosmetica Purifica.

Washing a ceramic coated car isnt any different to wash a non coated car, just easier to clean and dry :)
I have washed many cars in sunlight and nothing ever happened....

..... just saying

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Is there any particular snow foams anyone can recommend? Also pressure washers. The karchers seem quite steep!

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Watch eBay, I got a marcher l2 for £40, brand new, no idea how!

I used BH auto foam but it wasn’t that foamy... now use prokleen, it’s great and use it with a lance off eBay as they’re all adjustable and it all depends on the mixture more than the lance really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is there any particular snow foams anyone can recommend? Also pressure washers. The karchers seem quite steep!
One of the positives with a karcher is that all of the spare components are readily available - for greater reliability go for one with the water cooled motor.

It is for this reason that many reconditioned units can be purchased.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

I’ve got an entry-level Nilfisk pressure washer - bought primarily for car cleaning duties. Although it’s an entry level model, it’s powerful enough for car cleaning, but also does a pretty good job of cleaning paving, concrete and patios.

I use it in conjunction with an Autobrite snow foam lance.

I have washed many cars in sunlight and nothing ever happened....

..... just saying
I have done, but try to avoid doing so as I live in a very hard water area, so end up with lots of annoying dried on water spots.

For summer car washing, I try to either choose a cloudy overcast day, or make an early start, so I can work in the shade and I’m finished before the sun is too high in the sky. The sun’s not a problem at this time of year as it’s not strong enough or doesn’t get high enough in the sky to cause dried on water spots.

Reactions: KernelOkey

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
If u wash car on direct sun,middle of day,and if u are slow,u can risk drying shampoo on car. Just rinse more frequently.
Or just wash car in the shadow or just wait sun to go down little bit :)

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I'm not going to lie. This ceramic coating sounds like a ball ache. Doesn't appear to provide any benefits and you still do the same wash routine but with extra caution to not contaminate the coating?
If you rinse your car correctly and have soft clean water then you shouldn't need to dry the car. I always leave mine to air dry.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.