what have you done to your car today ?

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Here are the full instructions: https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=694657

Cheaper if you don't need to change the flywheel. I did unfortunately as the clutch was in ribbons and had damaged it.
Took 2x mobile mechanics 4.5 hours to do on my drive, which was very impressive.

I had a look at the cost of flywheels as a 'just in case' thing, and yes, I'm definitely hoping it doesn't need one. At the moment, the only issue I've got is that the clutch is biting high, and I occasionally get a judder when I switch the ignition off - no slipping, even in higher gears. Fingers crossed...

Chaki

Nov 10, 2019
How much do mechanics charge in UK for the labor for exemple changing clutch on the ARL?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
How much do mechanics charge in UK for the labor for exemple changing clutch on the ARL?

Most garages I'm talking to are quoting me around £500 upwards for parts and labour. That's for a basic OEM style clutch replace. Some are saying to put aside a couple of hundred more just in case.

With a voucher somewhere like Euros, I can get a Sachs kit for about £150 (without flywheel), and as I don't have an issue with time, I'm happy to try and do it myself and save myself a few hundred pounds...

Reactions: Manic172 and Chaki

Chaki

Nov 10, 2019
Tnx for the reply.
Here in Serbia, its about 80-100 euros for labor for the mechanic and parts have different prices... I guess the parts goes untill 450-500 euro for the complete clutch including flywheel

Reactions: iammooks

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Broke down yesterday. My clutch pedal broke & fell to the floor :( Managed to coast out of rush hour traffic in neutral & rac came to rescue. Must be the month for clutch issues!

lightup

May 27, 2019
Just had a new clutch installed after the dyno session. Around 500/600 euro with oem cluch included.

Diffuser and black cupra letters added today.
18f30cc2720c27be7c5602331ab8c13d.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Spent my day getting a custom 2k paint mixed for my replacement tow eye cover.

Upon looking at my overall paint finish, theres some matted spots on the doors likely from general dirt and **** over the years.

What do people recommend for bringing matte spots back up to a good gloss? I have the car a cheapo turtle wax polish and it did sweet f@ck all lol

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Just had a new clutch installed after the dyno session. Around 500/600 euro with oem cluch included.

Diffuser and black cupra letters added today.
18f30cc2720c27be7c5602331ab8c13d.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
As above, so clean. Wouldnt have thought a gloss grey would look so good but it does.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Spent my day getting a custom 2k paint mixed for my replacement tow eye cover.

Upon looking at my overall paint finish, theres some matted spots on the doors likely from general dirt and **** over the years.

What do people recommend for bringing matte spots back up to a good gloss? I have the car a cheapo turtle wax polish and it did sweet f@ck all lol

You could try something along the lines of T-Cut, but I’ve only ever used things like that for scratches and scuff marks - nothing more widespread than that.

To be honest though, this sounds like more of a job for a power polisher with some cutting compound or something along those lines. Given we’re talking about older cars as well, it could mean that the lacquer is on the way out, and polishing it could just cause it to flake or even start to go through the base.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
You could try something along the lines of T-Cut, but I’ve only ever used things like that for scratches and scuff marks - nothing more widespread than that.

To be honest though, this sounds like more of a job for a power polisher with some cutting compound or something along those lines. Given we’re talking about older cars as well, it could mean that the lacquer is on the way out, and polishing it could just cause it to flake or even start to go through the base.

it’s no way near flaking or even really noticeable unless you catch the light on it, you can just see it matted likely from crap flinging into the doors, or even maybe a wax job with a too abrasive cloth.

My rear bumper has some pretty bad flaking on the lacquer on some spots from it sitting in the dealership which sucks, likely easier to just find a new bumper lol.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
likely easier to just find a new bumper lol.

As long as it's not for a LS7Y FR - otherwise you'll have a fight on your hands... Been looking for one for ages and it's a either a new (eBay) one or prep mine and have it resprayed.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
As long as it's not for a LS7Y FR - otherwise you'll have a fight on your hands... Been looking for one for ages and it's a either a new (eBay) one or prep mine and have it resprayed.

Haha the S7Y's are all yours! Im S7U. I took your advice and found the closest thing to a cutting compound i could get, got some of that G3 stuff and spent the day hand buffing the doors. Suffice to say it got rid of about 90% of the cloudiness. It was like someone had taken 2000 grit wet paper to some spots, but likely was just from dirt and grit on the doors.

Came out pretty good, mega shiny doors

IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Haha the S7Y's are all yours! Im S7U. I took your advice and found the closest thing to a cutting compound i could get, got some of that G3 stuff and spent the day hand buffing the doors. Suffice to say it got rid of about 90% of the cloudiness. It was like someone had taken 2000 grit wet paper to some spots, but likely was just from dirt and grit on the doors.

Came out pretty good, mega shiny doors

Man... Why does everyone's Leon look better than mine? Looks like I'll be adding a full respray to my list of things to do...

It's either that or get the Cupra R front and rear bumpers... The FR one never looked as aggressive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Man... Why does everyone's Leon look better than mine? Looks like I'll be adding a full respray to my list of things to do...

It's either that or get the Cupra R front and rear bumpers... The FR one never looked as aggressive...

Lol! Post a pic? Mines painfully standard! Although i dont mind the OEM rims in gunmetal, chap before me's handiwork :think:. i cannot wait to get new wheels and coilies in a couple months...but i cannot decide on what shoes to get for love nor money. Do i go for something like a BBS RSII, or something more sporty? Gah.

I also hate that little silver chode aerial. Gonna go a bit more retro and get a longer thinner one (dunno what theyre called lol)

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net

Yours looks so much nicer than mine.... and you can drive yours as well
Resized_20191228_155013_4651.jpeg

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Lol! Post a pic? Mines painfully standard! Although i dont mind the OEM rims in gunmetal, chap before me's handiwork :think:. i cannot wait to get new wheels and coilies in a couple months...but i cannot decide on what shoes to get for love nor money. Do i go for something like a BBS RSII, or something more sporty? Gah.

I also hate that little silver chode aerial. Gonna go a bit more retro and get a longer thinner one (dunno what theyre called lol)

3a57118106515586a5933b47247ffdc9.jpg

Complete with roof rack... Mine is standard as well - save for some low profile wipers and a few other bits and pieces. I'll be changing things when they need repairing, so will put a better exhaust on when mine fails, but at the moment work is slow, so I can't afford to do anything more flashy.

It's done me well since 2008 though - bought with 80k on it and I've put another 80k on it since then. I see newer cars on the hard shoulder or parked up outside garages and it sends a shiver through me that I haven't done the clutch or checked the EGR, but so far it's started every time and never died on me.

I've got a similar aerial, just in black - not that I ever listen to the radio. I'll have a look around to see if I've still got my stock one - I don't normally throw these things out.