Stiff clutch cable

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
Evening all, I’m rebuilding an old 2.0 8v gti cupra sport. When I got it the pedal box was snapped badly. I got it welded and strengthened and found pedal really stiff. I bought a genuine seat clutch cable but before I fit i have a few questions.
Is this most likely the cause of stiff clutch pedal?
If I fit one and it self adjusts but still is stiff it will need a clutch.so if I fit a clutch will cable re adjust?
How stiff should they be anyway? My last cupra was hydraulic clutch so wasn’t too stiff even though that snapped
Any advice or comments would be great cheers

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello there,

yeah the dreaded weak pedal box this happens to the MK3 Polo's also.
Quite often the clutch cable wears causing excessive drag which can result in a stiffer/juddery feel when operating clutch, plus if the clutch unit itself is warn can cause the pedal box to fail, as the welding is small and not much of it which is why any extra pressure on clutch pedal finishes off the pedal box unfortunately.

But yes the cable operated clutch on the MK2 SEAT do tend to feel a little heavy, like I say my MK3 Polo always felt a little heavy, I think they use the same gearbox the Polo and Ibiza.
To be honest all cable operated clutch feel like this, I've never found a nice light feeling cable clutch pedal, I've driven Peugeots, Ford's, Vauxhall's and VW's with cable clutch.
Admittedly if the clutch pedal is stupidly heavy or has sunk slightly, then clutch unit could possibly be close to wearing out.

On my old MK3 Polo that I used to have that had a clutch cable, always did feel slightly heavy plus they normally start to creak when the cable is getting close to snapping, well that's what happened on mine.

I think the manual adjustment clutch cable is fitted to 1.4 possibly 1.6 and the much smaller engines, whereas the auto adjustment cable I think is fitted to all or most engines above 1.6, plus they're possibly not interchangable as they're normally different lengths, whether that is just down to the ratchet/spring mechanism in the auto adjustment cable, I'm not sure.

I think the manual adjustment clutch cable length is 1655mm

The length of the auto adjustment clutch cable is I think 1852mm

When you get a chance to replace your clutch cable, before you attach it to clutch pedal
I'd definitely make sure/check that the pedal does move freely. With the new clutch cable fitted it should feel slightly better, if not then chances are your clutch unit could well be the issue. If you have to apply extra pressure when pushing down clutch pedal the last 1/2" to 1" of it's full travel, then this is a clear sign the clutch is going plus it'll feel really heavy.

Also the answer to your other question is yes,
a new auto adjustment clutch cable will self adjust when a new clutch is fitted, unless the cable mechanism is faulty.

Hope this helps
Si

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
Sorry for late reply! Thanks for all your info once the weather is better I will change cable and see how it goes! From memory it’s stiff all the way down so hopefully just cable, car has sat about for a good while

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
Hello there,

yeah the dreaded weak pedal box this happens to the MK3 Polo's also.
Quite often the clutch cable wears causing excessive drag which can result in a stiffer/juddery feel when operating clutch, plus if the clutch unit itself is warn can cause the pedal box to fail, as the welding is small and not much of it which is why any extra pressure on clutch pedal finishes off the pedal box unfortunately.

But yes the cable operated clutch on the MK2 SEAT do tend to feel a little heavy, like I say my MK3 Polo always felt a little heavy, I think they use the same gearbox the Polo and Ibiza.
To be honest all cable operated clutch feel like this, I've never found a nice light feeling cable clutch pedal, I've driven Peugeots, Ford's, Vauxhall's and VW's with cable clutch.
Admittedly if the clutch pedal is stupidly heavy or has sunk slightly, then clutch unit could possibly be close to wearing out.

On my old MK3 Polo that I used to have that had a clutch cable, always did feel slightly heavy plus they normally start to creak when the cable is getting close to snapping, well that's what happened on mine.

I think the manual adjustment clutch cable is fitted to 1.4 possibly 1.6 and the much smaller engines, whereas the auto adjustment cable I think is fitted to all or most engines above 1.6, plus they're possibly not interchangable as they're normally different lengths, whether that is just down to the ratchet/spring mechanism in the auto adjustment cable, I'm not sure.

I think the manual adjustment clutch cable length is 1655mm

The length of the auto adjustment clutch cable is I think 1852mm

When you get a chance to replace your clutch cable, before you attach it to clutch pedal
I'd definitely make sure/check that the pedal does move freely. With the new clutch cable fitted it should feel slightly better, if not then chances are your clutch unit could well be the issue. If you have to apply extra pressure when pushing down clutch pedal the last 1/2" to 1" of it's full travel, then this is a clear sign the clutch is going plus it'll feel really heavy.

Also the answer to your other question is yes,
a new auto adjustment clutch cable will self adjust when a new clutch is fitted, unless the cable mechanism is faulty.

Hope this helps
Si
Happy new year! I fitted my clutch cable yesterday and it feels better and it has a uniform feel from top to bottom so happy days. Once I get car on it’s feet I will be able to tell them. One last question I fitted a new rubber grommet which goes onto clutch arm and I got a new retainer for cable. The old one had a big rectangular weight on it but my new one doesn’t . Do you know if this is normal or does the weight help with anything? Cheers

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello there, Happy New Year to you to.

Yes regarding the clutch retaining clip and rubber bush there's been at least 3 different types over the years that VAG have used.

Standard retaining clip with rubber bush
Part number 1H0 721 303
still available

Balance weight = 400 grams
(triangular shape with small stud)
Think it bolts to clutch arm
Part number 1L0 721 761
Possibly still available

Balance weight = 190 grams
(rectangular shape)
Part number 1L1 721 761
Obsolete no longer available separately

I think the balance weight helps to minimise vibration / juddering going through clutch arm, to aid smooth operation.

Hope this helps
Si

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.