How often do you service your Leon?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What do peeps pay for a full service? I used Halfords auto centre just for the MOT on my Ibiza (previous car) and they charge £159 for the full lot including the MOT. Halfords is about 10 mins away so its perfect to book on a saturday/sunday, is that over priced?
Also would not trust halfords to service anything. Not even my lawnmower. God knows what cheap shite oil they are throwing in and whatever chinese branded filter

Reactions: LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Also would not trust halfords to service anything. Not even my lawnmower. God knows what cheap shite oil they are throwing in and whatever chinese branded filter
Probably the wrong oil, wrong filters. I know someone who had a headlight bulb fitted upside down by them. Whenever I go there for screen wash or car cleaning Products, there’s always about 3 teenagers standing around a car with the bonnet up all itching their heads staring at it blankly.... how the hell can people let them fix/ maintain anything on their cars!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Im on a maintenance package i was sold it in the belief the car was on fixed services 10k / per annum. Turns out the car is on longlife services and the first one is due at 16k miles.

who in their right mind thinks 16k miles is acceptable on a brand new engine, should be first oil change at 5k imo. New engines loosen up so cannot be doing anything positive for the longevity of the engine. Seat don’t care nor do vw finance. So neither do i as it will 100% be going back to them. I don’t even bother letting the car warm up. Gets zero mechanical sympathy from me. They don’t care so i don’t care

To be fair, if you tried doing this back with say a Ford Cortina you'd be hearing all the bearings rumble by 16k. When long life first came out I had a new VW diesel and 2 years between oil changes freaked me out - but the car went on to 150k on long life with zero issues before I replaced it, still doing 50mpg+.

I've also not heard anything negative as a result of longlife, which I realise might be because only subsequent owners would catch the fallout. But, with all fleet cars now on it, I thought there would be a lot more moaning on the internet from their second/third owners?

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
A good oil is a cheap mechanic.

6k is a bit over eager imo though

Maybe in a petrol but not in a diesel with all that carbon in there.

There are a couple of old 1.9tdi VWs still in our family that i owned at one point.

273000 miles and 198000 mile bothe engines and gearboxes still running sweet pulling like trains.

Oil like a cars blood dont let it get too contaminated.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Maybe in a petrol but not in a diesel with all that carbon in there.

There are a couple of old 1.9tdi VWs still in our family that i owned at one point.

273000 miles and 198000 mile bothe engines and gearboxes still running sweet pulling like trains.

Oil like a cars blood dont let it get too contaminated.

all diesels blacken the oil within a couple of minutes of turning the key

6k is too often

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
all diesels blacken the oil within a couple of minutes of turning the key

6k is too often
Yeah you can never keep a diesel engine clean but you can keep it cleaner. The amount of carbon you allow to build up in your oil degrades it quicker.

I work in an industry were i have assess to a lab where i can measure the viscosity of oil against new and trust me at 6000 it is losing viscosity and protection.

Each to their own £50 for an oil change every 6000 is not going to trouble me.

Reactions: Wastedagen

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Seat don’t care nor do vw finance. So neither do i as it will 100% be going back to them. I don’t even bother letting the car warm up. Gets zero mechanical sympathy from me. They don’t care so i don’t care
Jeez, I feel sorry for the poor guy who ends up with it after you!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Seat don’t care nor do vw finance. So neither do i as it will 100% be going back to them. I don’t even bother letting the car warm up. Gets zero mechanical sympathy from me. They don’t care so i don’t care

Jeez, I feel sorry for the poor guy who ends up with it after you!

But it’s probably the same degree of mechanical sympathy that many lease cars get.

Lots of these ex-lease cars will find their way back onto Seat dealer forecourts and be sold as Seat approved used cars, and as with any used car, the new owner is unlikely to know how it’s been used or abused during its time with the previous owner/user.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
That's why I buy new cars, get the colour and options you want, run it in correctly, then keep it for ages and guys at my work then offer me great prices for it when I finally want a new one, as they know the history of the car too.

Reactions: Wastedagen

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
But it’s probably the same degree of mechanical sympathy that many lease cars get.

Lots of these ex-lease cars will find their way back onto Seat dealer forecourts and be sold as Seat approved used cars, and as with any used car, the new owner is unlikely to know how it’s been used or abused during its time with the previous owner/user.
When seat and vw finance think a new engine should have the oil changed after 16k miles then the issue lies with them. I was under the impression i was paying for a maintenance package of 10k services / yearly but apparently not. My £10 a month gets one service at 16k miles and when it gets handed back that will be its only service in 30k miles / 3 years costing £360, i have been well and truly had. So i don’t care about the longevity of their car because neither do they

pmoore2007

Jan 6, 2020
When seat and vw finance think a new engine should have the oil changed after 16k miles then the issue lies with them. I was under the impression i was paying for a maintenance package of 10k services / yearly but apparently not. My £10 a month gets one service at 16k miles and when it gets handed back that will be its only service in 30k miles / 3 years costing £360, i have been well and truly had. So i don’t care about the longevity of their car because neither do they
Hilarious I dont pay for maintenance yet serviced after 8k and now its due an oil inspection and Im leaving in back in around 6 weeks.

Not sure if I really need to action this as they will put it through a full service before it goes to auction.

2nd year service with Seat is £269

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.