Sump Plug

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Plastic plug works well, I've done several changes on my 290 now, never had an issue. I think it's just half a turn to get it in/out and it has a hard stop similar to the fill cap, so you can't over tighten. You should get the adaptor key as well though to do it without risking damage.

Red ibiza

Oct 9, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Plastic plug works well, I've done several changes on my 290 now, never had an issue. I think it's just half a turn to get it in/out and it has a hard stop similar to the fill cap, so you can't over tighten. You should get the adaptor key as well though to do it without risking damage.

Do you use a new plug each time or reuse the old one?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Both my 2011 S4 and my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI use/need "one use" folded washers - curiously they cost more than the older style bolt/washer combo, progress maybe?

I like the idea of always having a spare drain plug and extra sealing washer if they are individual items, saves messing about in a container of used oil to retrieve the plug you have just removed if things have not gone to plan - as that can be done later after decanting the used oil into a container for disposal.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Do you use a new plug each time or reuse the old one?

Last time I did an oil change I reused the existing one. No problem.

I use to have some new plugs "in stock" since we also have 2 VW:s in the family with the EA888 engine (as 1.8 tsi and 2.0 tsi Cupra). Not this time :).

/Peter

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I agree that maybe the oil will get vac'd out for the usual convenience and mainly H&S reasons, but the drain plug will then get removed to drop out the oil that remains, a oil service bill would prove/disprove that theory in as much as you would get billed for a plug.

For me, just because a service bill incurs the cost for a new sump plug doesn't necessarily prove a new one has been fitted..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Some trust must be possible when using garages, they do mess up badly sometimes, but pocketing the small change from claiming cash for a drain plug and not fitting it would be a very dangerous trick to play.

Edit:- anyway, my comments were aimed at working out if full oil changing was being attempted if working from the supplied worksheet.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The last oil change I did on the TDi the plastic drain plug in the filter housing stripped. I also had a plastic coolant manifold on my Mazda crack. So no, I don't trust plastic for parts like this.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.