loss of traction when setting off in first?

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
I have a 1.4 Leon FR 2016. I have started to notice when I want to set off from traffic lights quicker than usual I put more gas on whilst holding the glutch, when I set off I get this warning:
seat-leon-asr-esc-warning-light.jpg
on the dashboard just a quick flash and feel the tires sort of slip or lose traction I think. Is this because the car is in ECO mode and something to do with the ESC been off or on, which option should it be for the car to stop doing this. The tires have very good tread and look great. I would have thought with the ESC been on which means traction control is on there for the car shouldnt slip because of the traction.

Should I only set off with more gas when at traffic lights in sports mode or for when I need to pull out of a junction quicker than usual? Not tried this in sports mode but I just hope iv got the right ESC mode set so my car shouldn't do this. I do have carista if I need to change the settings on there to help too.

The car is fine when applying a little gas and clutch I have never had problem, but when I want to get off the mark quicker thats when it loses traction.

Thanks

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Fortis - What brand of tyres do you have fitted to your car? Even if they have plenty of tread, some brands of tyres are better than others. Bridgestones for example are a very hard rubber compound which is great for longevity, but the downside is they’re pretty poor for grip in colder winter weather - even if they’re new.

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
@Fortis - What brand of tyres do you have fitted to your car? Even if they have plenty of tread, some brands of tyres are better than others. Bridgestones for example are a very hard rubber compound which is great for longevity, but the downside is they’re pretty poor for grip in colder winter weather - even if they’re new.
yokohama blue earth for the rear two and dunlops for the front two, they are stock tires.

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
You are just setting off fast and spinning the wheels..

As simple as that. Use less power and you won't lose traction. Maybe you're just over the tires limits? I used to spin my tires a lot pulling off quickly but seem to be able to pull off much quicker now without losing traction at all.

If it bothers you much, might be worth replacing them with better tires.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
annoying if true any other car I have previously driven never had this problem. My Ibiza was great at getting out of junctions quick.

Yea it will be.

The engine modes are just throttle response and fake noise and your traction control is on unless you turn it off yourself, if its flashing it means its stopping the wheels from spinning out even more than they would without it.

I just got a Cupra fitted with 2 brand new Pirello P Zero's and I can't set off fast at all either, it just spins up.

Reactions: Fortis

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
cheers lads, short and sweet help as per. Ill just have to be careful when setting off. Will give it try turning ESC off on the dry days to help.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Summer Tyres in cold winter temps is the issue, they do not have the traction, winter / all season tyres would give you more grip off the line.

Reactions: Legojon

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Tyre type and tyre pressure will help a bit but the bottom line is that the car is never going to be great off the line. It's a front wheel drive car with a relatively light engine so just not enough weight on the driving wheels. I had a 150 hp Golf with the 2l diesel engine, much heavier, much better traction.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Less right pedal. Simple. pull away at 2k or less and then add the throttle and it’ll pull away quicker than wheel spinning from a stand still.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Tyre type and tyre pressure will help a bit but the bottom line is that the car is never going to be great off the line. It's a front wheel drive car with a relatively light engine so just not enough weight on the driving wheels. I had a 150 hp Golf with the 2l diesel engine, much heavier, much better traction.

My experiences are the other way around, whenever I've driven heavy diesels I've always experienced less traction than that in lighter petrol's..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My experiences are the other way around, whenever I've driven heavy diesels I've always experienced less traction than that in lighter petrol's..

For a front wheel drive car that only makes sense if there are other differences, like more power or poor tyres on the diesel.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise