Cupra Ateca Spare Wheel

Jan 18, 2020
Hi. I'm looking for alternatives to the rescue foam / glue that comes with my Cupra Ateca.

The Cupra brochure says the space-saver spare wheel option "is not available" as an option on the comfort / sound / design model (which mine is).

I'm told the lowered boot lid doesn't fit in if you have a spare 'design' wheel (the black and gold alloys), but it does if you have a standard space-saver wheel..... However, a standard space-saver doesn't fit over the Brembo brakes on the front so hence this is not an official option.

I'm wondering why I can't get a space-saver Ateca set (quoted £315 in all Seat dealerships) and then if I get a front puncture, changing a back wheel to the front and putting the space saver on the back! Would this work? Does anyone have any experience please? Does the standard polysterene housing and wheel fit around the subwoofer?

Helpfully the dealership told me the rescue glue / foam was "rubbish". I do a few long journeys a month and would feel safer with a spare wheel....

PS. Love my Ateca.

Tell

Staff member
Hi. I'm looking for alternatives to the rescue foam / glue that comes with my Cupra Ateca.

The Cupra brochure says the space-saver spare wheel option "is not available" as an option on the comfort / sound / design model (which mine is).

I'm told the lowered boot lid doesn't fit in if you have a spare 'design' wheel (the black and gold alloys), but it does if you have a standard space-saver wheel..... However, a standard space-saver doesn't fit over the Brembo brakes on the front so hence this is not an official option.

I'm wondering why I can't get a space-saver Ateca set (quoted £315 in all Seat dealerships) and then if I get a front puncture, changing a back wheel to the front and putting the space saver on the back! Would this work? Does anyone have any experience please? Does the standard polysterene housing and wheel fit around the subwoofer?

Helpfully the dealership told me the rescue glue / foam was "rubbish". I do a few long journeys a month and would feel safer with a spare wheel....

PS. Love my Ateca.

There is a lot in that post :).

The Ateca at launch you couldn't buy a space saver wheel for it if you didn't order it at the time, you were stuck... dealers were saying can't. In fact they are the Leon space savers and people bought them themselves or move them over from their Leons. They didn't get the moulding doing it this way and had the tools in a bag.

I pass on whether the moulding is now available or not but you can just have the tools loose. I recall Leon space savers were sold in two forms where the tools were presented... grey matter. Think there was a Leon moulding option on one side... Think the tools in the bag was how most people went who forgot to order the space saver with the car or went for a deal where it wasn't included.

Recall I looked at the Ateca parts list for these parts that can't be ordered at the time. Mines a 4Drive so I guess the moulding differs between whether you got a rear drive axle or not not. I specified the spare at the time of order, wasn't a post fit.

So anyhow you have the Leon option if the Ateca space savers are a premium. I see if you Google Leon and Ateca space savers they are half the price £315 quoted. You could check what you get for that ?. Pictures of the independent post fix is in a Google. May be now the proper Seat option you get the moulding ?. I dont think the moulding is vital. It makes it look pretty but you never look under there. Seat are now better at supplying spare wheels where the model doesn't have one. £315 could be the premium for that. Id ask what you get, moulding or not.

I pass on swapping them around, but suspect you can. I'd call break down, point out the wheel and let them fit it :).

Ps I see they have 17 / 18" Ateca space savers. All the post fix ones were Leon 17". My factory ones are 17" although I'm on 19". Never had the space saver on :).

Oh the sub woofer sits in the middle of the spare. I suspect those that went for the post fix with a standard Ateca hadn't ordered the Seat sound system so didn't have the subwoofer.... Think you only get that with the spare. Not too sure how the subwoofer is presented on a Seat Ateca Cupra car without a spare at the time of purchase. That sounds like a question to existing Ateca Cupra owners. That might be in their £315 premium. It needs to drop into the centre of the spare if it's like a standard Ateca.

Some images on this Google of the Ateca standard subwoofer in the spare wheel.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-m&sxsrf=ACYBGNTydgVerqs8CCjJmcWp71oMEoHPbg:1579548671687&ei=__8lXtHQKf6l1fAP8Omy4Ao&q=ateca+cupra+subwoofer&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiRzOyr9ZLnAhX-UhUIHfC0DKwQ7Al6BAgGEAI&biw=768&bih=1000#imgrc=G5wBnSkT2c7r3M:

We now need to see what the Ateca Supra subwoofer looks like... hours of YouTube video or ask.

I see you posted on here as well:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/space-saver-wheel.451754/

They seem to be saying you can get the moulding which is probably what the £315 gives you. Still pass on how the sub woofer is presented in a standard Cupra. Let those above tell you. My dealer has only sold one, they are pretty rare round here but the owner shops in Lidl, saw it there :).

Edit. Who said sub woofer anyhow ;). I didn't I checked. Bit more research to clear this up since I couldn't see how the Ateca Cupra could have a subwoofer if it didn't have a spare wheel since the standard design (now discontinued) on the standard Ateca / Leon's was to put the subwoofer in the spare wheel.

Seat UK dropped the fancy Seat sound system with subwoofer from My19 or there abouts on UK sold standard Ateca's. No subwoofer. 8 speakers. They count the tweeters x 4 and the mid range speaker x 4 = 8. Images above of the subwoofer when it was sold. Seat sound system had 10. One speaker in the centre dash (bass response) + subwoofer.

Ateca Cupra says 8 speakers for the UK market so no subwoofer. Seems it's hidden in the spec
CUPRA ATECA
Comfort and Sound,
and Design

Comfort and Sound being the Beats one.

So the £315 must include the fancy moulding to put the tools in over and above the bag which comes if you did the standard Leon fix of the early days at the Ateca when the moulding wasn't sold. Sneaky suspicion cross purposes with the info from the dealer. £315 feels like the standard Ateca solution where you want a spare but isn't in the package. Whilst I can't see them selling a car with a sub woofer if it's not mounted in a spare unless they have a cunning mount to put it on....

PS on the German Taracco you can get the top of the range sound system with an outboard power amplifier as VW's but not sold in the UK... suspect the same on the standard Ateca, haven't looked. Pound / Euro exchange rate is the issue not test weight limits as other have suggested in the past since Ireland gets these goodies and they are RHD.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise