Whining noise.

Dec 18, 2019
Hey,
Looks like ma cupra is broken again but not sure what it is.
There is a whining noise comming from passanger front side, It starts at around 30mph, It does a proper whine when i am dead on 30,40,50,60,70,80 mph But stops if i am above or below the 10 mile per hour sound.

I have brand new tyres on it, Checked the wheel bearing does not seem to shake or make a noise when you spin it on the ramp.

Any ideas what it could be?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
The obvious question is did the noise only start when you fitted the new tyres or has it been there for a while? Most peculiar that it only manifests itself when dead on these speeds. Does engine speed affect it (by which I mean is it different when in, say 3rd, 4th and 5th but at these speeds?) I suspect this is one you'd have to hear to offer a meaningful opinion.

Where are you? If one of our more mechanically competent friends lives anywhere near you maybe they could listen to it and offer an opinion?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Swap the front wheels over and see if the noise moves with it. I had a buckled wheel, but didn't notice till I had 4 new tyres and they moved the buckled wheel from the rear to the front.

Dec 18, 2019
Hey,
Does not seem to change with the gear changes when I head the noise I changed gears up and down and it sounds the same.

I had this issue before the tyre change as well I thought it was just because of the tyres coz the car had a bad aligement but after changing tyres it's still there

Does not seem to be grining or moving the wheel bearing is it possible it's a bad bearing without the common symptoms ?

Dec 18, 2019
Swap the front wheels over and see if the noise moves with it. I had a buckled wheel, but didn't notice till I had 4 new tyres and they moved the buckled wheel from the rear to the front.

Well tried it still comming from the passenger side. Even tried my old bmw wheels that fit still making the sound

Dec 18, 2019
Any easy way to cross the gearbox off the list
I rlly do hope it's just a wheel bearing other wise time to sell

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Does the noise change/stop when you dip the clutch? Can you feel any vibration in the gearstick / clutch pedal?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Any easy way to cross the gearbox off the list
I rlly do hope it's just a wheel bearing other wise time to sell
Find a nice quiet deserted bit of road and, at moderate speed, weave the car quite forcefully from side to side - like they do with racing cars to warm the tyres. If it's a wheel bearing it will get noisier when under load and quieter when not. so if it's the N/S it'll be noisier on a right lock.

Don't get too carried away, you're not trying to roll the car!

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Find a nice quiet deserted bit of road and, at moderate speed, weave the car quite forcefully from side to side - like they do with racing cars to warm the tyres. If it's a wheel bearing it will get noisier when under load and quieter when not. so if it's the N/S it'll be noisier on a right lock.

Don't get too carried away, you're not trying to roll the car!

As above sounds like classic wheel bearing noise which is normally a consistent rubble/whine at 30 to 40 MPH, and the noise won't change pitch.

A gearbox whine from bearing will be a higher pitch sound, and will normally change with speed, plus you can sometimes feel it through clutch pedal.

Si

Dec 18, 2019
As above sounds like classic wheel bearing noise which is normally a consistent rubble/whine at 30 to 40 MPH, and the noise won't change pitch.

A gearbox whine from bearing will be a higher pitch sound, and will normally change with speed, plus you can sometimes feel it through clutch pedal.

Si

It's a dsg no clutch hehe. But I think it's the rear wheel bearing as when my mate got kn the Passanger he could hear it from rear right. I sit far back thought it sounded like from front. U can really hear it dead on 30 or 40 and it's still there but quieter in till 70 in guessing that's just the wheel bearing and not the gearbox

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.