Sticking Steering

Sep 4, 2019
Hi all,

I have 2018 Leon FR and I have this issue:

• When driving straight on the Motorway and then when you turn the steering wheel with subtle movement to change lanes, you can feel the steering being slightly sticky, there’s like a friction where you have to use more force to turn the steering wheel, it feels like the steering is locked.
  • When manoeuvring/turning left with the steering wheel left hand down, as you drive off and you let go of the steering wheel, the steering wheel does not come all the way back to its centre position (it’s stops about 1/3 off centre position) and it stays in that position. I have to manually turn it back rest of the way to centre position. (Note; It’s doesn’t seem that noticeable when turning right).
I took it to the dealer and they couldn’t replicate it (as it’s intermittent) and said there is no fault.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi all,
I have 2018 Leon FR and I have this issue:
  • When driving straight on the Motorway and then when you turn the steering wheel with subtle movement to change lanes, you can feel the steering being slightly sticky, there’s like a friction where you have to use more force to turn the steering wheel, it feels like the steering is locked.
  • When manoeuvring/turning left with the steering wheel left hand down, as you drive off and you let go of the steering wheel, the steering wheel does not come all the way back to its centre position (it’s stops about 1/3 off centre position) and it stays in that position. I have to manually turn it back rest of the way to centre position. (Note; It’s doesn’t seem that noticeable when turning right).
I took it to the dealer and they couldn’t replicate it (as it’s intermittent) and said there is no fault.
Any ideas?
Cheers

Does your car have 'Lane Assistance'? If it has then maybe a fault with it.

Reactions: KernelOkey

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm sure that I have read complaints like this on VW Group cars with electric steering racks, but I can't remember what the outcomes were, so you are not alone, press for resolution.

Sep 4, 2019
I'm sure that I have read complaints like this on VW Group cars with electric steering racks, but I can't remember what the outcomes were, so you are not alone, press for resolution.

If you do remember the outcome then please let me know. It’s so frustrating and annoying that the dealership says there nothing wrong when there is.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Its horrible when someone replies with the sort of vague answer that I gave, but I thought that if I did reply in that way, that at least you would know that you are not alone with this issue, maybe Google can find some other stuff on this that has been posted on this or another VW Group motoring forum as the same issues should be affecting VW Golf, Skoda Octavia and Audi A3 plus their derivatives or the same rough age/version - and maybe smaller and bigger VW Group models.

Sep 4, 2019
Its horrible when someone replies with the sort of vague answer that I gave, but I thought that if I did reply in that way, that at least you would know that you are not alone with this issue, maybe Google can find some other stuff on this that has been posted on this or another VW Group motoring forum as the same issues should be affecting VW Golf, Skoda Octavia and Audi A3 plus their derivatives or the same rough age/version - and maybe smaller and bigger VW Group models.
I appreciate this. I do feel better that I’m not the only one who has this issue.

Cheers mate

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Is it electric assisted or hydraulic assisted steering?

i am not familiar with the mk3 leon’s setup but if its hydraulic assisted could be low fluid level / airlock in the system. If it is hydrualic remove reservoir cap top up system and with cap removed turn steering lock to lock to remove any airlocks, if its electric then i have no idea

Paulo16

Jun 13, 2019
Huddersfield
There are some software updates for Leon electric steering racks. Maybe contact your dealer to check if yours needs them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.