Cupra 300 depreciation, when to sell?

silles

May 4, 2017
Long story short: We are planning to relocate from the UK within a year or so, 2018 Cupra 300 DSG is now coming up 2 years in April.

Right now it's been valued ~19k (trade in value)
Not sure if i should sell it now, while it has warranty, and get something cheap (<5k) for the year or just sell it before we leave.

How much more depreciation is expected in the next year?

JackB

Jan 18, 2020
Best thing you can do is look at the prices of comparable 2017 cars (because 1 year older) with the mileage you anticipate to have in a years time.

Just bear in mind that the listings you see from dealers will be the price they paid the owner for the car plus margin for them... So expect a to get little less than the prices you see.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Also handing a car in without buying a more expensive car - or not buying another car as part of that deal, will only get you same, at most, as the dealer can pay for that car at trade only auctions.

Reactions: SRGTD and JackB

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Also handing a car in without buying a more expensive car - or not buying another car as part of that deal, will only get you same, at most, as the dealer can pay for that car at trade only auctions.
Yes, only likely to get trade value if buying a cheap runaround or just offloading current car to a dealer.

Also, values of the current Leon may be affected by the new mk4 model, so the OP may take an additional hit on the value of their car if deliveries of the new Mk4 Cupra Leon are coming through when the OP sells.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I dont think it makes sense to buy another car if you are getting rid of yours to move as you will be paying a margin on the car you buy of usually circa £1000 (not all profit to the dealer though after warranty and service etc) you’d be as well keeping the Cupra and enjoying it and if you lose a bit more you’ll only lose that on a cheaper car you aren’t going to enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Seastormer

silles

May 4, 2017

Question, is it possible to trade in for a lot cheaper car and pocket diff in cash?

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Question, is it possible to trade in for a lot cheaper car and pocket diff in cash?

Yes it is but there aren’t many main dealers that seek decent cars at circa 5k and the independents might but prob won’t offer enough for the Cupra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe get some hard figures together asap so that you know what your car is worth on the open market from a private individual offering none of the support that a trader would/can/should offer - I'd think that your current guess that its 19K is way off the mark, sorry, maybe even 4.5K>5.0K off the mark.

silles

May 4, 2017
Maybe get some hard figures together asap so that you know what your car is worth on the open market from a private individual offering none of the support that a trader would/can/should offer - I'd think that your current guess that its 19K is way off the mark, sorry, maybe even 4.5K>5.0K off the mark.

got that figure from autotrader valuation.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
got that figure from autotrader valuation.

Really, if that the autotrader trade in price, if so it will be against a new replacement, you should be looking for "private sale" prices if selling privately and even then you would need to chop a chunk off if handing into a trader and not buying a new or any replacement.

I've found that there is only one way to sort this value out, and that is to approach a dealer with a genuine intent to hand it over if the price was correct, if you are just looking for a sort of valuation then most dealers would consider that you are just being not too serious and so either tell you to come back when you are ready to do that deal, or offer you a really low price.

One thing that I've done when selling a still useful aged car, is to be willing to split the "savings" two ways, so if the trade in price was say £15,000 and the price for a new car without a trade in was £2000, I'd be willing to privately sell the car for £14,000 - too many private sellers aim to get the full £15,000 and still get full no trade in price for buying a new car, I've been offered basic trade price when selling cars too often and people get really annoyed when you turn them away - but they fail to see that you have made no advantage of doing a deal that way - indeed all the possible problems of selling privately with none of the benefits of driving into your new car dealer when "getting the call" and driving off with a new car.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Cars lose most value from new in the first 3 years then level out a bit and depreciation isn’t as bad

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
If you are going to be selling it anyway, then personally I would sell it privately now, before the Mk 4 is released and it devalues more. Your car also still has some manufacturer warranty remaining, which is a big selling point. The longer you leave it, the less warranty it will have left.

Give it a full valet, or even get it done by a professional, then take some professional looking pictures for the advert. A good advert with a good write up and proper pictures is worth the effort in my opinion.

Then buy yourself a cheaper run around, again privately, and try and get a good deal on it. That way you are minimising your losses on the Cupra, and saving yourself cash buying the runaround privately.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@silles; you could consider trying a car buying service like Motorway. I’ve not used this service personally so can’t vouch for how good an offer you might get for your car, but it’s similar to the now defunct Tootle car buying service which did get good reviews by forum members on some other VAG forums who’d used Tootle.

Looking at the Motorway website, multiple online car buyers that are partnered with Motorway and dealers offer a price for your car and can accept the price that works best for you, although there’s no obligation on your part to accept any of the offers.

Using a car buying service like this means you don’t get the tyre kickers or time wasters that you could get if you aim to sell privately.

Link to website; https://motorway.co.uk/

silles

May 4, 2017
@silles; you could consider trying a car buying service like Motorway. I’ve not used this service personally so can’t vouch for how good an offer you might get for your car, but it’s similar to the now defunct Tootle car buying service which did get good reviews by forum members on some other VAG forums who’d used Tootle.

Looking at the Motorway website, multiple online car buyers that are partnered with Motorway and dealers offer a price for your car and can accept the price that works best for you, although there’s no obligation on your part to accept any of the offers.

Using a car buying service like this means you don’t get the tyre kickers or time wasters that you could get if you aim to sell privately.

Link to website; https://motorway.co.uk/

Thanks I'll have a look that one as well..

Just tried webuyanyc@r and got 18k. which is not that bad ...

update: motorways suggests 18.5k ...
19k for private (autotrader) not sure if that extra 500 worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
You will get more privately also the online estimates are different once the dealer sees the car.
If you can deal with the hassle go private

JackB

Jan 18, 2020
I have heard from friends who used WeBuyAnyCar that they haggle when you actually get there in person, particular if there are any visible issues/imperfections with the car. So just be aware of that.

Can't hurt to go if you are happy with the online quite though, just be prepared to walk away if needed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks I'll have a look that one as well..

Just tried webuyanyc@r and got 18k. which is not that bad ...

update: motorways suggests 18.5k ...
19k for private (autotrader) not sure if that extra 500 worth the hassle.
Problem is in 2020 how many people have 19k in cash? Very few hence why most purchase from garages as they can get it on “tick”

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
that's my biggest worry going private ... who is gonna have 20k cash in bank ...
People do bank loans, my previous car was purchased from an auto trader advert and I got a bank loan, the guy took my word and then when I actually purchased the car on the day I did a mobile banking transfer to him.