Blind Spot Detector

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
Quick question, when you set the blind spot detector in the menu settings should it stay selected permanently as mine appears to deactivate when I switch the car off.

Cheers

Ian

Terry99

Aug 2, 2019
Silsden, West Yorkshire
If you have both lane assist and bsd activated, then the steering wheel shakes if you try to change lane when there’s a vehicle coming alongside, so they are linked.

However, they’re switched on and off independently, so if you are losing a setting when switching off the ignition, then (in my opinion!) there may be a fault.

Reactions: Ian Sturgess

Tell

Staff member
I believe I've read about this fault on other Ateca boards of recent. Mines fine.

They do the check on start up. What happened once was when the rear bumper area got plastered in mud it did behave as you say. You had to toggle it back on. I washed the rear and it was fine after. Unlike the front radar sensor that if it gets wet, may be inside, it stops working and restarts once dry. Blind spot if it senses it's not working will turn itself off. So I'd say mud on the rear, if not, sensitivity isn't set up correctly. It's a bit like the automatic wipers, if a wet window on start up they don't work, need a manual wipe to reset what it's measuring. It's seeing something it should not see on start up and turns itself off.

Reactions: Terry99

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
I believe I've read about this fault on other Ateca boards of recent. Mines fine.

They do the check on start up. What happened once was when the rear bumper area got plastered in mud it did behave as you say. You had to toggle it back on. I washed the rear and it was fine after. Unlike the front radar sensor that if it gets wet, may be inside, it stops working and restarts once dry. Blind spot if it senses it's not working will turn itself off. So I'd say mud on the rear, if not, sensitivity isn't set up correctly. It's a bit like the automatic wipers, if a wet window on start up they don't work, need a manual wipe to reset what it's measuring. It's seeing something it should not see on start up and turns itself off.
Hi Tell

Thanks for your thoughts, I picked the car up on Thursday so thankfully nice and clean activated it on Friday and when we went out Saturday I checked on arrival as I didn’t see any warnings and the box was not ticked. Activated it again before returning home and again when checked this morning not selected. Will check with dealer tomorrow as thankfully just down the road as there might be a problem, will check on the Ateca section as well.

Cheers

Ian

Tell

Staff member
Going out for a walk and thinking about it mine did say BSD Error or whatever the manual shows as flashing up - saying that the mud thing did turn it off. So I reckon if you haven't got that it's failing a test and turning itself off but not telling you it has. As said I have had this conversation with someone before with your error probably on the standard Ateca thread ;). Think it's a sensitivity / programming issue.

Tell

Staff member
I don't reckon some dealers don't clear delivery errors, so if they had never been cleared it never worked. Mine had a heated wing mirror that didn't appear to be working but no cold weather in the 2016 winter. Got myself an Odbeleven in the new year and it showed the heated wing mirror circuit on the drivers side was open. Booked it in saying I now have the where with all and there is an issue. The lead had been left disconnected at assembly in the mirror housing.

It's probably the blind spot system doesn't talk to each of the component parts when one shows an error, probably how it was powered up at build put the error in. So stuck with it till a clear errors is put through.That's my theory.

Post up how they fixed it.

Last edited:

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
Car went in yesterday to be checked out, no errors found and no changes made but since picking up it has worked after a couple of journeys yesterday and so far one today. Bit of a mystery, will see how it goes over the next few days.

Reactions: Tell
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.