Turbo inlet and intake upgrades

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I seem to remember I noticed a metallic rattling noise after installing my turbo elbow and pipe (also MST).
Only noticed it at low revs and low speeds on a very smooth piece of dual carriageway.

I posted about it on a Facebook group and was told it’s a normal noise for these engines.
Can’t remember exactly what makes the noise but it was told it was something like the air moving over a certain part.

Oddly I’ve never noticed it since that first install day.

Reactions: Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I seem to remember I noticed a metallic rattling noise after installing my turbo elbow and pipe (also MST).
Only noticed it at low revs and low speeds on a very smooth piece of dual carriageway.

I posted about it on a Facebook group and was told it’s a normal noise for these engines.
Can’t remember exactly what makes the noise but it was told it was something like the air moving over a certain part.

Oddly I’ve never noticed it since that first install day.

Thanks mate, appreciate that. :)

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
I took it to be the compressor wheel singing. The std plastic intake bend and hose normally absorb the sound as part of their design to reduce NVH.
Had it in all turbo cars that I've moddified over the years.
Have a listen to turboed cars on YT that don't have any intake or filter at all to hear this ringing noise, particularly as the turbo slows down after the engine is shut off.
Howver, if the noise is more like a scraping or rasping noise then it may be shot turbo core bearings allowing the wheels to wobble and hit the casing side.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Howver, if the noise is more like a scraping or rasping noise then it may be shot turbo core bearings allowing the wheels to wobble and hit the casing side.

Yeah I don't think it is that, car was delivered in december so it is pretty new. I'll have a listen today. Last night I couldn't hear it at all when the car was warm.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I have a 2015 280 and have the same noise, so glad I kept following this thread as although the noise never worries me I have always wondered what it is.

Most probably became apparent/more apparent after fitting the r600 and elbow.

As I’ve read I hear it at low throttle/revs in third, my old diesel Leon made the same noise too funnily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
"Pikey" R600 mod completed last night, fitted the blanking plate. Is it safe to run the blanking plate just clipped in? There weren't any screws included.

Bee_GEE_B2

Jan 26, 2020
"Pikey" R600 mod completed last night, fitted the blanking plate. Is it safe to run the blanking plate just clipped in? There weren't any screws included.
sure, i have it the same way : ) (for 2 more weeks :p)

Reactions: Zer0