1.9TDI FR 150 Emissions Test MoT Fail Advice

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I used that wynns cleaner with egr off as i nearly used a full can and was messy, i have done it while on but only a small spray, did not go mad, sounds like you have different fixings makes you wonder if the bottom one was re-tapped for a bigger bolt due to stripping.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I used that wynns cleaner with egr off as i nearly used a full can and was messy, i have done it while on but only a small spray, did not go mad, sounds like you have different fixings makes you wonder if the bottom one was re-tapped for a bigger bolt due to stripping.

I think you can use it to clean the EGR while it's off the car, or you can spray it while the engine is turned over. I'm guessing the mix of a hot engine and the solvent is a bit more effective.

I didn't get to do all of the fixings, but I'm guessing the ones that attach the EGR to the inlet manifold are 5mm, and the ones on the cooling pipe are 6mm. I've had the car since 80k and it's on 160k now, so I'm guessing it hasn't had anything done before I got it, but then if I'm right, it's on its first clutch too, so who knows what's lurking elsewhere under the bonnet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Thats not bad on a first clutch, is that remapped as well?

Not yet, but I've been looking...

I think 123,000 of those 160,000 were straight motorway miles, which probably explains how it's lasted so well - it's the short journeys I do now that are putting the strain on the car now. If all this stuff works, I know I'll just be doing that before every MoT in future.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Not yet, but I've been looking...

I think 123,000 of those 160,000 were straight motorway miles, which probably explains how it's lasted so well - it's the short journeys I do now that are putting the strain on the car now. If all this stuff works, I know I'll just be doing that before every MoT in future.

remap makes it a different car and less lag, ive surprised a few lol

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
So we've got before and after photos now. It's a miracle, I tell you - a bloody miracle.

7ed1b3fea4ac3982adf5a217d7783f9a.jpg

8491bee5b2b77677950f0f59558d6b09.jpg

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
just delete the EGR, I've never run an EGR on any of my VW TDI lumps.

Will it get through the MoT like that? I've seen a few places that say if it's clearly been blanked, it's an automatic fail?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Mines got a delete pipe, wasnt an issue last year.
Did you have to get it mapped out?? Only reason I ask is that I fitted delete pipe on mine years ago and it threw up EML. Couldn't be bothered going back to get it mapped out so just returned it to normal with EGR re-fitted.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Will it get through the MoT like that? I've seen a few places that say if it's clearly been blanked, it's an automatic fail?

From my understanding about TDI is the dpf cannot be tampered with or look like it has been welded. Egr doesn't come into it.
1.9tdi doesn't have dpf filter so ??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
might be the before and before before

I might as well have posted the same photo twice...

They are actually two different photos - before the Wynn's spray and after. What a waste of £10.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough

They are actually two different photos - before the Wynn's spray and after. What a waste of £10.

I'd get it off with the manifold and egr delete if I was you. Be about 4 HR I'm gonna guess for you to do on the drive. If your keeping the car you may want to look at a manifold on eBay that's nice and clean just to slap on as it's the only car of the house I understand quick is important.
The golf pd150 I had, had the egr delete from ECU too or would have EML on all the time.
£40 egr delete "get welded one not cheaper one"
£40 intake
£50 ECU egr delete
And your time and effort + £££ for tools.
Does make me wonder how much power has been lost from this clogging.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I'd get it off with the manifold and egr delete if I was you. Be about 4 HR I'm gonna guess for you to do on the drive. If your keeping the car you may want to look at a manifold on eBay that's nice and clean just to slap on as it's the only car of the house I understand quick is important.
The golf pd150 I had, had the egr delete from ECU too or would have EML on all the time.
£40 egr delete "get welded one not cheaper one"
£40 intake
£50 ECU egr delete
And your time and effort + £££ for tools.
Does make me wonder how much power has been lost from this clogging.

To be honest, I don't drive it that much at the moment - I've got some jobs in the next month where I'll need it, but after I get the MoT sorted, I can catch my breath and clean it up properly. I was stressed over the weekend because I was knackered from working late nights and just didn't have the energy or the concentration to do it, and I was half thinking I'd take it all apart and then not be able to get it back together to take it to get the tyres done, which is happening tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I'm going to stick some premium diesel in the tank, along with some more Miller's, and then take it for an Italian tune, then cross my fingers and hope it gets through.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.

odd that as even the 2nd can was strong unless there was an issue with it, i even let it sit for a while even carb cleaner worked after using wynns, you did get the diesel version?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
odd that as even the 2nd can was strong unless there was an issue with it, i even let it sit for a while even carb cleaner worked after using wynns, you did get the diesel version?

I did mine the same way as in this video -
- and all the reviews I read said it worked amazingly too and to do it the same way - take off the air filter pipe and spray it down there while the engine's running.

Stupidly I put the empty can in a recycling bin straight away so I can't send the batch number to be checked, but unless the soot is going to magically fall off when I next go for a long drive, it seems to have been useless.

Chaki

Nov 10, 2019
Not gonna read the whole thread but...
Is it possible you can space few milimiters exhaust manifold so at least 15% gases goes in the engine bay so the emissions would be fine ?
Or something like drilling holes somewhere and then weld it back

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Not gonna read the whole thread but...
Is it possible you can space few milimiters exhaust manifold so at least 15% gases goes in the engine bay so the emissions would be fine ?
Or something like drilling holes somewhere and then weld it back

I suppose I could do, but I want to do things properly - being an environmental type, I genuinely want my emissions to be as low as they can be. That means more work, but hopefully I'll get it sorted.

The trouble is that about 80% of the problems I'm having right now are because I don't drive the car much. My tyres perished, which failed the MoT test, and everyone's saying I need to drive it a lot for this not to happen.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members