What to look out for when buying used?

Feb 2, 2020
Hi guys, new member here.

I'm heading out to view a privately listed 64 plate Leon FR 1.4 TSI on Tuesday, it's had every service, cam belt done recently, no advisories on the MOT and looks spot on from the pictures I've seen.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I'm going to pull the trigger on but just wanted to know if there's anything in particular that I should look out for when viewing it, he's already said he's happy for me to have a drive in it.

Thanks.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Check for accident damage, check panel gaps, and make sure you do a vehicle history check on the car

Reactions: Mr Pig

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
What interior does it have? If it is leather, check the stitching on the steering wheel, and the stictching on the seat bolsters as the leatehr here is susceptable to cracking.

Reactions: Alur

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you check the vehicle details with the V5 registration document, so ideally the guy's name and address, the make and model etc, the vehicle registration mark, the VIN number which is stamped on the front offside inner wing, and is on a label on the offside b post when you open the drivers door, and on a visible label at the bottom of the windscreen on the nearside, you might need to move the wiper blade to see it. The engine number can be found on a sticker on the cam belt cover, and there is what is called a build sheet in the form of a white paper sticker in the spare wheel well also with the last part of the VIN number on.
There are a lot of forged V5 registration documents around, one of the things missing from these is the bar code in the V5/C at the bottom of the inside page section in older types, and on the bottom of both inside pages on the newer style V5. Once you are satisfied that it is a genuine vehicle the normal checks apply, you can also check the MOT history on the GOV.UK, good luck hope it goes well.

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Make sure the heater works check it works on minimum temp and also maximum temp also if auto Chech that you can adjust and get different temperatures on passenger side and drivers side also let the engine get hot to see if the cooling fan works.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members