3D Gel Number Plates, Legal?

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019
Have any of you guys got any 3D gel number plates, I like the look of them but dont fancy getting a fine if they are not fully legal.

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
Legal, so long as they are the correct size/spacing and have the makers postcode and BS markings - same thing that applies to every number plate.

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
I have mine on my car. No issues. Not tinted and BS codes. I think it’s more the reflective part the coppers are fussed with as well as spacing

Lots of legal uk plate places offer 3D gel plates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
As above, basically, as long as you dont change the font or spacing, its fine. If it can't be read by an ANPR camera, you'll get stopped.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Judging by the sudden rash of cars around this neck of the woods wearing plates with dodgy spacing, artfully placed fixing screws and no supplier info/BS AU number, the chances of getting stopped are pretty slim. But is does beg the question what happens when MOT time comes around....

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019
Judging by the sudden rash of cars around this neck of the woods wearing plates with dodgy spacing, artfully placed fixing screws and no supplier info/BS AU number, the chances of getting stopped are pretty slim. But is does beg the question what happens when MOT time comes around....

So many cars around with huge spacing in my area, it doesn't even make it look nice. Even see some Regs with 2 big spaces in the middle.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
MOT failure

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
On paper yes. Reality no. Most people know a decent mot place as there fair. Legal wise not failure. Reality be fine. Sure they’ll be some warriors that will disagree

Reactions: Wings988

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
On paper yes. Reality no. Most people know a decent mot place as there fair. Legal wise not failure. Reality be fine. Sure they’ll be some warriors that will disagree

I don't disagree with you, that's most likely. There's also the option of putting legal plates back on for the MOT test and swapping them when you get home. So few traffic police these days so folk more than happy to flaunt the law, number plates are the tip of the iceberg, folk driving cloned cars, using phones, drink/drug driving, etc etc I'd much rather the police concentrate on that.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Illegally spaced numberplates and daft fonts looks crap anyways

This^

Number plates don't add anything to the appearance of the car, they are not designed to, they are just a legal requirement. So many people mess with the plates to try and make them look better. Different font, smaller plates but it's not the answer.

The trick is to keep them totally standard. Because all cars have them and they all look the same, when you look at a car you 'tune them out'. You become 'blind' to the plates and don't notice them. As soon as you change the format of the plates you draw your attention to them and they stick out! In trying to make the plates look better, you actually make them much worse.

Standard plates are as close to invisible as you're going to get and that's the best you can do.

Reactions: Rob G

Steve J

May 26, 2019
Legal I've had them on every car never been pulled and always passed MOTs with them

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Legal I've had them on every car never been pulled and always passed MOTs with them

I'm not saying they are not legal, they could well be, but neither the absence off attention from plod or passing an MOT are proof of legality. Cops ignore all kinds of stuff and MOT testers can vary quite a lot in what they'll pick up on.

Steve J

May 26, 2019
I'm not saying they are not legal, they could well be, but neither the absence off attention from plod or passing an MOT are proof of legality. Cops ignore all kinds of stuff and MOT testers can vary quite a lot in what they'll pick up on.
That's true but it does say on the government website the letters can be 3d.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That's true but it does say on the government website the letters can be 3d.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're not legal. All I'm saying is that you need to be careful about how you decide on whether or not it is. Both the cops and MOT testers can and do get things wrong.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise