Maybe an end in sight for Kangaroo jerking...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I hope your Skoda is much better.

My Leon has more flat spots now during acceleration. They are noticeable than before the update especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. It feels like ECO is kicking in but it's not.
The juddering when starting from cold is still there so I have to quickly change to 2nd which seems to improve it.
Driving in traffic is horrendous. I have to turn stop start off every time.
The car won't hesitate if I apply around 1300 revs in 1st gear from stopped.

The update was meant to fix all this but has done the opposite.:banghead::banghead2

the ‘update’ will still be trying to keep emissions at an acceptable level so will be a massive compromise.

i bet a proper tuners remap would sort them out so they are actually getting some fuelling from low revs

Reactions: jimmyjimmy

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Whilst that is the census of opinion, our car (and others T-Roc, Karoq) have also complained of the issue with DSG/S-Tronic boxes.

Just driven it for an hour plus and it hasn’t really resolved the issue. I think that ours is clutch/gearbox related. It feels like the clutch slips when changing from odd to even gears, an intermittently making a metallic vibration noise.

At present this is very noticeable when pulling away from a stop, and exaggerated when auto handbrake is applied. With gearbox in 'D', As you pull away under approx 1/3 acceleration, the revs rise to 1500 rpm, but then drops to 1200 rpm without any change in throttle position, before revs rise again and changing into 2nd at c.1750 rpm. It’s this that makes the car jerky to drive, especially in traffic and when cold.

After being told that the loss of traction/kangarooing is a characteristic of the 1.5 TFSI drivetrain, and having to complete a back-to-back test with another vehicle with the same drive train (that wasn’t jerky) we’ve cut our losses and traded in for a F31 3 Series - the nightmare is finally over!

Reactions: jimmyjimmy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Shocking that it has come to this really.

I can see as time goes on, lucky owners with both 130PS and 150PS engines handing their "running fault free" 1.5TSI engined cars in for a service and ending up with these "improvement" software updates applied in the interests of safety and emissions - and driving out with a very troublesome car, I do hope I'm wrong there.

Jan 8, 2020
United Kingdom
I've just bought a 2019 Leon FR 1.5 TSI (150PS) and was worried about the kangarooing. Got a 2017 T-Roc with the same engine and its bad on that car. Luckily the Leon doesn't seem to have it (perhaps very very minor, if at all) and I have noticed its a much smoother drive and the gear ratios seem much better. Also seems to have better acceleration and just feels a bit nipper than the T-Roc, but that could be down to the extra weight in a T-Roc vs a Leon. Putting my T-Roc in to get the software update for the engine next week, hoping it sorts the issue and assume its the same update for all the 1.5 TSI engines. Will give an update once it's done and I've found out if it has finally fixed it...

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
I have my car booked in to a SEAT garage next week and told them to keep it for however long is needed. If they 'fail' to notice the issue, which I know they will, I will get DEKRA booked in to look at it on the dealers forecourt, and not accept the car back until it's done. Has anyone gone down the DEKRA route here?

It's disgraceful how VW group are in total denial about the issue still being a problem, even after all the updates.

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It amazes me that SEAT still deny knowledge that this exists, VAG is famous for it every single common fault somehow the service manager still denies that they have ever heard of any of the faults and look at you with a surprised face each and every time is beyond me.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
This comment above sums up all my interactions with service managers at any dealership ever.
I have had VERY heated arguments on the border of a fist fight with some of those guys and they are all the same everywhere, treating customers like idiots and simply lying.
One occasion I kept complaining something was off with the subframe from a Skoda and he kept arguing it was fine - by the 3rd time and after he drove it with me, they took it in to check and he admitted I was right and that it was 3cm off :(
But the worse service I got so far comes from Seat - not a single thing I report gets fixed or handled.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
I have my car booked in to a SEAT garage next week and told them to keep it for however long is needed. If they 'fail' to notice the issue, which I know they will, I will get DEKRA booked in to look at it on the dealers forecourt, and not accept the car back until it's done. Has anyone gone down the DEKRA route here?

It's disgraceful how VW group are in total denial about the issue still being a problem, even after all the updates.

Good luck there, keep us posted on the progress. Whereabouts are you in Germany?

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
Good luck there, keep us posted on the progress. Whereabouts are you in Germany?

The garage have yet again denied there is a fault evident and it 'never' juddered for them on their test drives, even in the 1°C frost this morning. I have left it with them for another few days. This whole debacle is driving me insane.

Sorry it must be the VPN as today I am not in Iceland :)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The garage have yet again denied there is a fault evident and it 'never' juddered for them on their test drives, even in the 1°C frost this morning. I have left it with them for another few days. This whole debacle is driving me insane.

Sorry it must be the VPN as today I am not in Iceland :)
They will just be trying to fob you off as simple as that. Just persevere i say

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Well it's a sad day, an end of 5 year spell of Leon's, my car is being collected this morning! I hope I won't be away for too long though!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2020
Ok, so the title is misleading - let the Kangeroos have their fun I say!

Anyway, I paid for an hour access to Erwin this morning and came across the Technical Service Bulletin section. There is a Service Bulletin with a release date of 11/10/19 called:

2470: Jerking while warming up when accelerating/releasing accelerator (only 1st to 3rd gears - EA211evo 1.5 l TSI)

This is obviously the well documented claim of kangerooing / jerking / hesitation etc

It states the 150 bhp Leon 5F engine 1.5 TSI 110kW DADA has a new software version available to the dealers in response to this issue:

Original part reference: 05E 906 018 AL
Original software version: 6084
New part reference: 05E 906 018 AL
New software version: 9692 or higher

Those with the 130 bhp Leon 5F 1.5 TSI 96kW DACA (like me) will have to wait as the status shows "in preparation phase".

Anyone had this update done or been contacted by a dealer? Personally I can feel hesitation while the engine is cold and it is amplified when the ACT activates until the engine gets warm.

Feb 7, 2020
Had the problems with car kangarooing and stalling at junctions had software update told by seat dealer awaiting another update .Problem not solved I would like to buy a skoda but would not entertain it till problem sorted.

Reactions: Leonfr140

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
Had the problems with car kangarooing and stalling at junctions had software update told by seat dealer awaiting another update .Problem not solved I would like to buy a skoda but would not entertain it till problem sorted.

This is interesting. Are you able to let me know which SEAT dealer confirmed they were still waiting for an update? My local dealer has explicitly told me the problem is resolved and there are no more updates in the pipeline, despite me asking them to check the status of the TPI number multiple times.

Jan 8, 2020
United Kingdom
Got a Seat Leon 1.5 TSI that I bought a few weeks ago and it seems ok for kangarooing, drives a lot better than my VW T-Roc that had the same engine and bad kangarooing. Booked my T-Roc in for a software update last week, wife says she hasn't noticed kangarooing since the update and when I was driving it home from the garage it felt a lot smoother, and better acceleration, through all the gears (more like my Leon that doesn't have the issue). So initial thoughts are that a software update is helping

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That is good news and it would have been interesting maybe for others to know what the initial version of S/W was and what it is now - something you would need VCDS or OBDeleven to check.

Jan 8, 2020
United Kingdom
That is good news and it would have been interesting maybe for others to know what the initial version of S/W was and what it is now - something you would need VCDS or OBDeleven to check.

Sorry don't have access to any of that so can't confirm. I would also assume the software update across the VW group should be the same (as it is the same engine?). I also noticed the engineer comments on the worksheet I was handed back said they had replicated the issue and it was "incorrect software installed" and the correct software installed as a resolution. Might be nothing, but I found the use of the word "incorrect" to be a bit unusual, rather than saying it was outdated or something like that.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There is a list somewhere with "current" update version against engine codes and what was loaded into that engine codes ECU at maybe certain build dates - some of that might not be too accurate, but that is roughly what has been presented in these forums.

The S/W will not be static for too many reasons some insignificant, some significant, this will always be a "changing thing" and so the updates need to reflect that - and yes typically all marques will use the same versions of S/W and the point that engines were placed in the market place will dictate which marque started with which version initially.

Edit:- the improvement is what counts as some people in some forums have been reporting things being made worse by a S/W update that VW Group were not interested in reversing - that is for these 1.5TSI engines - and that will always remain a worry for those suffering this rough running/drivability.

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
upload_2020-2-10_12-45-52.png

Both 9602 and 9692 have not solved the juddering. It's a farce as so many people have waited a long time for them to be released.

There is a list somewhere with "current" update version against engine codes and what was loaded into that engine codes ECU at maybe certain build dates - some of that might not be too accurate, but that is roughly what has been presented in these forums.

The S/W will not be static for too many reasons some insignificant, some significant, this will always be a "changing thing" and so the updates need to reflect that - and yes typically all marques will use the same versions of S/W and the point that engines were placed in the market place will dictate which marque started with which version initially.

Edit:- the improvement is what counts as some people in some forums have been reporting things being made worse by a S/W update that VW Group were not interested in reversing - that is for these 1.5TSI engines - and that will always remain a worry for those suffering this rough running/drivability.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.