2 Problems I need help with: Wet footwells, coolant smell.

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
Hey guys,

Couple issues here with my MK1 Leon Cupra R. The near side foot wells (front and rear and to very small degree the offside rear) are soaking wet. The nearside rear is like a swimming pool back there, I dry it off as best I can and 5 mins later the water has pooled up again and it's not even raining.

Is this simply the door seals? I had it in the garage for some other work recently and asked them to just replace them all but they couldn't get hold of the seals. If it is the issue can anyone point me to what I need for all 4 doors to get done?

Also more worringly the car while the warm fans are on has developed a strong coolant smell in the cabin. I assume it's coolant, doesn't smell like exhaust gasses. What are the likely culprits here? I understand one could be the head gasket but would there be any other signs if it is? The car drives and boosts spot on.

Cheers

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
Do the pools in your footwells smell like coolant? Might be a leaking heater matrix.

Just checked and no it's defintely rain water. The near side rear is absolutely flooded again and we've had no rain and I dried it as best I could earlier today with a powerful dog dryer.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
This covers your door seals, we've all had to do ours at some point. This is the way to sort it once and for all if done properly. http://dubsteve68.blogspot.com/2011/05/seat-leon-leaking-door-seals-repair.html

As for the coolant, could be lots of things, head gasket probably being the least likely imo. Much more likely is the heater matrix as Zardox said, or a small coolant leak from somewhere in the engine bay that's dripping onto a hot surface, and then the smell is getting in through the vents. With the coolant being pink, it's pretty easy to find a leak if you have a good look with a torch. You'll see the crusty pink residue

Reactions: BadBoy03

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
"the water has pooled up again and it's not even raining."
Because it rises to the surface from the soundproofing at the bottom. Stick some nappies in there and weigh them down overnight and it'll keep on absorbing the water. Then sort your door seals

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
I've ordered what I need to fix the door seals, thanks.

But the coolant smell - there is no red coolant anywhere that I can see. Another thing to note is if I turn my fans off when the car is idling the temp gauge raises up, have to put the hot air fans back on to bring it back down to normal.

Thoughts?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've ordered what I need to fix the door seals, thanks.

But the coolant smell - there is no red coolant anywhere that I can see. Another thing to note is if I turn my fans off when the car is idling the temp gauge raises up, have to put the hot air fans back on to bring it back down to normal.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a coolant system issue. You say the temp rises, as in above `normal`. You could have a thermostat, radiator fan (or temp switch) and/or water pump issue. The coolant smell could be due to that. The engine is getting too hot and turning your heating fans on is effectively doing the job of your radiator.

Needs looking at though. Does the temp rise as the car is under load (i.e drive up a hill), even with the fans on?

Reactions: mty12345

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
No it doesn't rise under load. Just took her out there and no coolant smell, seems to be an intermittent problem... i don't know wtf to look at.

Also all the water is on the passenger side, just had the bonnet open there and noticed the pollen filter/cover looks wonky (i've never touched it during my ownership) - reckon that might be the main culprit of the water getting in?

Anyone have any links on how to properly access it and how it should all look.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Apparently when heater matrix fails you get a curry like smell coming through.
Door seals just uses butyl rape.
If garage said they couldn’t source it then
Read that as “ pain in the arris, and we can’t be bothered”.
Check other points of ingress such as boot hinges, rear windscreen washer t connectors pop off ( under carpet of side wall in boot) and leak into boot and rear of car.
Pollen filter around the housing and opposite side of scuttle panel.
Rubbish builds up there blocks drainage and comes in front foot wells.
This then runs under carpets and get to the rear as well.
Check it all.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: BadBoy03

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
No it doesn't rise under load. Just took her out there and no coolant smell, seems to be an intermittent problem... i don't know wtf to look at.

Also all the water is on the passenger side, just had the bonnet open there and noticed the pollen filter/cover looks wonky (i've never touched it during my ownership) - reckon that might be the main culprit of the water getting in?

Anyone have any links on how to properly access it and how it should all look.

It could be a sticky thermostat or maybe your water pump. When was the pump last changed? Does it have the metal or plastic impellors?

It could be a faulty temp sensor. So many choices!

If you can - try to meaure the temp of the various hoses in and around the thermostat, rad and pump. Might give you an idea of where the issue is.

These are really useful:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I4TB2IM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ref the water - sounds like something is letting the water in. Doors seals were always a favourite but it can also get in around the scuttle boards and pollen filter. Since it's so wet, may poor a bucket of water over the corner of the windscreen/bonnet and see what comes in?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Clean around the pollen filter housing. Not inside. To the right of it and behind it. Get your hands in there or
44b402388ca38f9d9cf4738cd6d91bf5.jpg
8722a06a38b330829542a0d00b47ccbe.jpg
a coat hanger.
Do opposite side of car too.
Once clear these areas drain to the wheel arches.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: mty12345
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members