Cupra Rattles

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Good Morning Everyone,

So 5 months into ownership I have developed a very annoying rattle in my MY19 Cupra. It becomes worse in sport/cupra mode. The problem is I can't seem to locate it. When driving it sounds like it's coming from over my right shoulder. Could it be within the door card?

Thanks

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not in a Leon, but I had an annoying buzzing / vibration noise from over my right shoulder in my VW. Turned out to be the seat belt height adjuster on the upper part of the B pillar. I just moved height adjuster slightly upwards, and never had the buzzing / vibration noise again. I’d check to see if your noise is coming from the same location before going to the trouble of removing the door card.

It’s also worth getting someone to travel in the car with you while you’re driving, so they can listen for the noise - the source of these annoying noises can be very deceptive, so although yours might sound as if it’s coming from behind the door card, it could be from somewhere completely different. It should be easier to find the location of the noise by having someone else listen for it, and they’ll also be able to apply pressure to interior trim panels in the general area of where you / they think the noise source is, to see if it stops.

Good luck; interior creaks, rattles and buzzes are one of my pet hates!

Reactions: Rowan83

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I recently had a rattle/creak over my right shoulder in my 7month old R ST.

After researching this it appeared to be a common problem on Leon/Golfs and comes from the door surrounds.
Cleaned and lubed up the seals with Gummifledge as per what many had done to fix it.
No joy...

Booked it in with Seat for warranty fix.
On the way down to Seat in the day booked in adjusted my seat 2 notches higher for a change of seating position...... rattle gone !!!

Odd as sound was emanating from over my right shoulder but was actually caused by the Seat being on its lowest setting and rubbing against something.

Good luck, I know rattles are a pain and seem to plague these cars !!!

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Cheers guys. I am going to have a proper look tomorrow. Will try adjusting the seat belt height adjuster and seat position, etc.

As you said Motty I am reluctant to visit the dealership as it always comes out in a worse condition!!

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
Mine started rattling at 800 miles...think it's the wider (2/3) rear seat back rattling against the latch. Bloody annoying TBH!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Mine started rattling at 800 miles...think it's the wider (2/3) rear seat back rattling against the latch. Bloody annoying TBH!
That’s been a fairly common source of rattles in the mk6 and mk7/mk7.5 VW Golf.

A quick and easy fix is to wrap some electrical insulating tape around the metal loop that the seat back latches onto when it’s in the upright position. It removes any slack between the latch in the backrest and the loop, and should stop the rattling. .

I did this fix in my mk6 Golf shortly after I got the car and it fixed the rattling, which never reoccurred in nearly five years of ownership. If you frequently lower and raise the rear seatback and the tape wears through, it’s quick, cheap and easy to replace it with some fresh tape.

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
That’s been a fairly common source of rattles in the mk6 and mk7/mk7.5 VW Golf.

A quick and easy fix is to wrap some electrical insulating tape around the metal loop that the seat back latches onto when it’s in the upright position. It removes any slack between the latch in the backrest and the loop, and should stop the rattling. .

I did this fix in my mk6 Golf shortly after I got the car and it fixed the rattling, which never reoccurred in nearly five years of ownership. If you frequently lower and raise the rear seatback and the tape wears through, it’s quick, cheap and easy to replace it with some fresh tape.
I'll try that....thanks!

Feb 14, 2020
Yep, seem like Leons are more than famous for rattling.. Mine also had rattles in door trim. I have taken it off the car and put some acustic foam in and anti-rattling tape on the sides. The car is fine since than.. at least in that area. Have some more rattles to take care of.. :(

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Just something you'll have to live with I'm afraid, normally the dealers create more rattles trying to solve the one you have

Or if the dealer is competent, they would stop the loudest rattle they fixed, just to uncover the more quieter ones...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.