Starting keyless car with no key battery.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
Hi guys.

So I had a problem this morning and it has never occurred to me before.

I've got a cupra 300 with keyless entry and push button start.

So this morning the battery died on my keyfob. So I pulled the little patch off the handle and unlocked the car manually.

This then set the alarm off. Yay, I bet the neighbours were pleased.

So I head into the house to grab the spare key, come back out and unlock it with that which stops the alarm.

I press the start button and nothing. Note on dash: key not detected please put it near the relevant place. (or something like that) which I thought was by the gear stick.

I then realised that the last action of opening the car killed the battery in the spare key. So I had to turn the house upside down to find a coin battery.

My question is.

1. Why when I opened it with the key manually did the alarm go off, not sure what I would have done if I didn't have the spare

2. How in the hell do you manually start a keyless entry car. I cannot for the life of my figure it out.

I feel like I am missing something really stupid.

Thanks.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I think the alarm does go off if you use the key to manually unlock the car, so normal IMO.

Assume the starting procedure is the same as it is with Keyless VW’s - YouTube video below shows the procedure;

Probably worth keeping a spare battery your wallet and another in the car, as they sometimes seem to loose power with very little warning.

Edit; from the owners manual (page 250 of 11.19 version);

Emergency Starting Function
If no valid key is detected inside the vehicle, an emergency start-up will be required. The relevant message will appear in the dash panel display. This may happen when, for example, the vehicle key battery is very low:
● Immediately after pushing the starter button, keep the key next to the right trim of the steering column ››› Fig. 256, as close as possible to the Kessy logo.
● The ignition connects and the engine starts automatically

Last edited:

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I think the alarm does go off if you use the key to manually unlock the car, so normal IMO.

Assume the starting procedure is the same as it is with Keyless VW’s - YouTube video below shows the procedure;

Probably worth keeping a spare battery your wallet and another in the car, as they sometimes seem to loose power with very little warning.

Edit; from the owners manual (page 250 of 11.19 version);

Emergency Starting Function
If no valid key is detected inside the vehicle, an emergency start-up will be required. The relevant message will appear in the dash panel display. This may happen when, for example, the vehicle key battery is very low:
● Immediately after pushing the starter button, keep the key next to the right trim of the steering column ››› Fig. 256, as close as possible to the Kessy logo.
● The ignition connects and the engine starts automatically
I wondered this when I first got the car and found the same entry in the manual. Good to know it's not rendered completely useless if the batt in the key dies.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
See I knew that I was just being daft.

I'll have to give it a try tomorrow

Considering how the day started I was really surprised that I actually had one of those obscure batteries lying around.

Thanks again for your help. As ever cupra forums Comes to the rescue.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Always read the owners manual.... there's no way a manufacturer will leave you stranded because of a keyfob battery, without an alternative way to start it.
Yes, something I always do whenever I get a new car.

I know it can hardly be described as the most exciting read (good to read just before going to bed if you suffer from insomnia though :D). But if I’ve spent a sizeable amount of my money on a new car, I want to know what all the functions and features are and how they work, rather than discovering something ‘new’ 2-3 years into ownership that I could have been using and getting the benefit of.

Quite a few forums over the years have had a discussion thread along the lines of ‘What surprise features have you discovered about?’. Reading the posts in these threads make me chuckle, as most of the ‘discoveries’ are covered in the owners manual.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.