New Owner accelerator pedal Question

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Hello All,
I have recently moved to a Mk 3 Leon FR ST tdi 2014 184 DSG , which i absolutely love having gone from a manual 2010 Golf tdi GT , but i have one niggle but Im not 100% sure ts normal or a potential problem , Its more to do with the accelerator - is it right that the fist 50% appears to be well pointless , ie i have to press it almost halfway down to get any real decent movement ? compared to my wife's mini d cooper auto box , her throttle is very sensitive from the minute you apply any pressure. I did search through threads before i posted , but couldn't see anything that pointed to this , so apologies if i missed any threads. I get a little bit of gear lag , but thatsnot the issue , its certainly appears to be the sensitivity of he accelerator ? Any helps advise would be appreciated

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
changed driving mode? in comfort or eco its pretty sluggish as its not meant for putting the power down hard.

Change your individual setting to sport throttle response and normal steering, feels amazing like this.

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
I have played around with the 3 modes and understand what you are saying , i have driven over 700 miles in the 3 weeks i have had it and no issues with Sports mode or indeed any of the modes and yes there is a difference in Sports mode but still the accelerator ( in all 3 ) seems to be my concern or is this normal ? How sensitive is your throttle , and i am taking about std pulling away at junctions not drag racing :) if i lightly press in the leon , really not a lot happens, where as in the mini it just goes ? it is my first DSG box , but i really don't think its the gear box ( unless i am mistaken ) just throttle / accelerator sensitivity

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
I have played around with the 3 modes and understand what you are saying , i have driven over 700 miles in the 3 weeks i have had it and no issues with Sports mode or indeed any of the modes and yes there is a difference in Sports mode but still the accelerator ( in all 3 ) seems to be my concern or is this normal ? How sensitive is your throttle , and i am taking about std pulling away at junctions not drag racing :) if i lightly press in the leon , really not a lot happens, where as in the mini it just goes ? it is my first DSG box , but i really don't think its the gear box ( unless i am mistaken ) just throttle / accelerator sensitivity

I've gone from a manual 1.4tsi fr, that responds very well as you control the clutch and launch.

just got my cupra and the dsg is a little slower to start, i imagine once you are moving you have no issues?

Reactions: Avit

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
once i am going its fine , but still have the flat spot on the accelerator , i suppose when you are driving your foot automatically reacts to the speed of the car so yes fine once i am going just the initial sensitivity (or rather lack of ) when starting at junctions / roundabouts etc ...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Couple of options
1. get someone with VCDS or similar to change the pedal profile to linear.

OR

2. Fit a pedal box.

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Couple of options
1. get someone with VCDS or similar to change the pedal profile to linear.

OR

2. Fit a pedal box.

sounds both technical / expensive , nor do i haven any real idea what this would do ? out the 2 which would be most effective , i had to google a Pedal box and looks like it changes all pedals ? sorry i am being ultra thick

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
sounds both technical / expensive , nor do i haven any real idea what this would do ? out the 2 which would be most effective , i had to google a Pedal box and looks like it changes all pedals ? sorry i am being ultra thick

Pedal box would have the most effect but also has the higher cost
it only operates on the throttle pedal -

The VCDS / Carista is a programming change to the ECU settings - simple enough with the right kit.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Carista can do that

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Carista can do that
Thanks .. much cheaper than the pedal box im looking at - so buy the Carista adaptor for £21 which gives 1 months access to paid apps and then hunt around for codes ? sounds dangerous with my skills ! that said i did play with my old ford focus a bit : i will have a google unless anyone can offer help

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hello All,
I have recently moved to a Mk 3 Leon FR ST tdi 2014 184 DSG , which i absolutely love having gone from a manual 2010 Golf tdi GT , but i have one niggle but Im not 100% sure ts normal or a potential problem , Its more to do with the accelerator - is it right that the fist 50% appears to be well pointless , ie i have to press it almost halfway down to get any real decent movement ? compared to my wife's mini d cooper auto box , her throttle is very sensitive from the minute you apply any pressure. I did search through threads before i posted , but couldn't see anything that pointed to this , so apologies if i missed any threads. I get a little bit of gear lag , but thatsnot the issue , its certainly appears to be the sensitivity of he accelerator ? Any helps advise would be appreciated
Have you tried seeing what the response is like when stationary with engine running (in park of course) to see if there is any 'slack' in the pedal?

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Thanks .. much cheaper than the pedal box im looking at - so buy the Carista adaptor for £21 which gives 1 months access to paid apps and then hunt around for codes ? sounds dangerous with my skills ! that said i did play with my old ford focus a bit : i will have a google unless anyone can offer help
Check amazon I managed to get it for a tenner a few days back, get first month free so cancel subscription after setting it up and then apply for the beta which you get for an extra 90 days with extra unlocked features too.

think the pedal change is under throttle response. As for coding don’t worry you don’t do any, it’s all simple English so you just confirm by turning things off and on, there’s a fella that posts on here that did a review on YouTube check there for examples and jobs a good one. It’s simple for people like me so you’ll be fine haha...

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Check amazon I managed to get it for a tenner a few days back, get first month free so cancel subscription after setting it up and then apply for the beta which you get for an extra 90 days with extra unlocked features too.

think the pedal change is under throttle response
Isn't the throttle response the same as putting it in Sports mode?

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Have you tried seeing what the response is like when stationary with engine running (in park of course) to see if there is any 'slack' in the pedal?
yes there is a bit , but not as much as reversing out my drive and waiting for the thing to engage and move , sports is good and much better but i end up wheel spinning in this wet :)

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
im busy reading the Carista thread now i know what top look for , so will end up getting this and changing to setting Thank you

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
maybe i am just not used to throttle in sports mod coming from a manual golf, and a bit too heavy after being in Drive mode , making me leaving the drive very dramatic - loving the car though

Avit

Feb 18, 2020

think the pedal change is under throttle response. As for coding don’t worry you don’t do any, it’s all simple English so you just confirm by turning things off and on, there’s a fella that posts on here that did a review on YouTube check there for examples and jobs a good one. It’s simple for people like me so you’ll be fine haha...
you had a bargain then currently £ 20.99.. simple sounds good :)

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Thanks everyone , I have learnt alot in this short time and learning more , googles only great if you know what to goggle

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Hello All,

I just bought a DSG MK3 Cupra in December and have the exact same problem, I did some googling and it seems to be normal in MK3's. I have found putting it in sport/sport manual makes it better but thats no good if you want to drive auto but with a nice throttle.

Apparently a DTUK pedal box greatly helps it.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.u...MItZfvsp_b5wIVFpzVCh0iDg6oEAAYASAAEgLUT_D_BwE

As for people saying to change the engine setting to change the throttle response, this is true but it only changes the response once you have passed the dead spot the OP is talking about.. It doesn't take away the dead spot.

I guess its because in standard drive mode they are trying to force you not to accelerate hard and drive steady.. Its also how they can give the decent mpg figures out also.

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
I just bought a DSG MK3 Cupra in December and have the exact same problem, I did some googling and it seems to be normal in MK3's. I have found putting it in sport/sport manual makes it better but thats no good if you want to drive auto but with a nice throttle.

Apparently a DTUK pedal box greatly helps it.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.u...MItZfvsp_b5wIVFpzVCh0iDg6oEAAYASAAEgLUT_D_BwE

As for people saying to change the engine setting to change the throttle response, this is true but it only changes the response once you have passed the dead spot the OP is talking about.. It doesn't take away the dead spot.

I guess its because in standard drive mode they are trying to force you not to accelerate hard and drive steady.. Its also how they can give the decent mpg figures out also.
Nice to know I am not alone with this dead spot , i was beginning to wonder if it was a fault , so the question , will you or have you purchased a DTUK pedal box ? , personally i might try teh Carista thing first , for teh sake fo £ 20 then if thats no real difference , plump for the pedal box , although 10% difference doesn't sound a lot ? decisions decisions / money and money

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.