Which VW Group coolant is required in a 2019 Leon Cupra?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As per the title line, my daughter's end of April 2019 Reg'd but build date 22nd Feb 2019 Leon Cupra has "G13" printed onto its coolant reservoir tank, but the on-line owners manual says only G12 evo should be used if topping up is required.

So which is correct and has anyone managed to buy a 1.5 litre bottle of G12 evo?

As the coolant level had dropped to below the MIN mark, I brought it back up to MAX level using 0.35 litres of neat G13.

What are others using to top up the coolant level, which seems to be a "required task" on a new SEAT these days.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I use G13 on my 2016 Cupra ST. If in doubt, check with your local dealer who should be able to check against your VIN.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Took mine to a SEAT garage the other day and they topped up neat with G13. Standard across the VAG range.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Took mine to a SEAT garage the other day and they topped up neat with G13. Standard across the VAG range.

I'd think that that is what many would do - like I did, but if your header tank has "MIT SILIKAT" printed on to it, maybe it is G12 evo that should be only ever be added even although the header tank has G13 printed on it.

Just in case you don't know, G12 evolved into G12+ evolved into G12++ evolved/changed to G13 - and sometime later G12 evo appeared, using a different base coolant, and "MIT SILIKAT", ie a bag of Silicate appeared in these header tanks.

I'm just trying to get a handle on things, sometimes quite tricky when dealing with VW Group cars.

@bgb, have you read the owner manual for Leon Cupra of this age to see what SEAT says about this, I did and it says "only G12 evo" but I have not been able to find anything that compares all these earlier versions of VW Group coolant and shows a table that includes G12 evo and makes clear which can and can not be used when topping up.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I'd think that that is what many would do - like I did, but if your header tank has "MIT SILIKAT" printed on to it, maybe it is G12 evo that should be only ever be added even although the header tank has G13 printed on it.

Just in case you don't know, G12 evolved into G12+ evolved into G12++ evolved/changed to G13 - and sometime later G12 evo appeared, using a different base coolant, and "MIT SILIKAT", ie a bag of Silicate appeared in these header tanks.

I'm just trying to get a handle on things, sometimes quite tricky when dealing with VW Group cars.

@bgb, have you read the owner manual for Leon Cupra of this age to see what SEAT says about this, I did and it says "only G12 evo" but I have not been able to find anything that compares all these earlier versions of VW Group coolant and shows a table that includes G12 evo and makes clear which can and can not be used when topping up.

I have read the manual, but tank says otherwise and SEAT service department (plus VW/AUDI garage) that I called asking for a price on a bottle stated G13 is correct. I also have the baggie in the tank.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
The manuals seem to have a number of out of date items in them. Mine refers to things that clearly only exist on the mk3 and not the mk3.5. G13 is the new coolant and backward compatible with G12.

If its a newish car it will have G13 in it, which is like £6 from Eurocarparts for a top up bottle. Anyone with a G12 filled VAG car can use G13.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The manuals seem to have a number of out of date items in them. Mine refers to things that clearly only exist on the mk3 and not the mk3.5. G13 is the new coolant and backward compatible with G12.

If its a newish car it will have G13 in it, which is like £6 from Eurocarparts for a top up bottle. Anyone with a G12 filled VAG car can use G13.

Bad news for you, these online owners handbooks, not printed and out of date paper ones, will be kept up to date by SEAT.

Illogical as it might seem, there does seem to have been a reason why VW Group started using this latest version of their approved coolant, ie G12 evo, G13 has been out for many years and uses a different base coolant from the usual supplier.

It would be very helpful if interested owners could find out definitively why the numbering has gone back to G12 and why some cars need a Silicate pack to keep the silicate level up to required levels -"just because" does not work for me!

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Bad news for you, these online owners handbooks, not printed and out of date paper ones, will be kept up to date by SEAT.

Illogical as it might seem, there does seem to have been a reason why VW Group started using this latest version of their approved coolant, ie G12 evo, G13 has been out for many years and uses a different base coolant from the usual supplier.

It would be very helpful if interested owners could find out definitively why the numbering has gone back to G12 and why some cars need a Silicate pack to keep the silicate level up to required levels -"just because" does not work for me!
The online manuals for my car are the same as my printed copy. Both have inconsistencies with the actual car delivered to me.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Cars delivered with G12 to G13 can use G13, G12 Evo just has a phosphate additive (or more of it than G13). Use the one the car came with or newer, they can be mixed.

G12 Evo was originally intended for Audi E-Tron models, but is fine in all VAG products using G13.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well that helps somewhat, pity the online Leon Cupra 2019 owners manual confuses things.

I've noticed that with EVs there are lots of new specs required and more scope for winding "consumables" prices up and demanding "only use car marque's branded and approved consumables.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I never thought of looking on the VCDS website for info, on this but there you go.

Oil specs on car body label, at least for Cupra are quite flexible/old, but that suits me.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
U sure its below? Usually goes to correct level when you open the lid :)

If it was my posting that you are answering to, the car was cold and had not been used for quite a few days when I spotted that the level was well below the MIN level, I removed the cap, no noises so pressure must have been close to ambient pressure and so the level did not change until I added in I think 0.35litre of neat G13.

I checked it again, but the car had just driven 10 miles, so the engine was hot, and the level still looked the same as when I added in the extra 0.35litre of coolant conc.

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Should coolant really need topping up after less than a year and from what you just said are you sure there is not an issue with a leak or something

read this out of interest,what is the Anwser for 2019 onwards G13 or G12,I didn’t even know you had to be specific lol thought you just bought engine coolant !!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Should coolant really need topping up after less than a year and from what you just said are you sure there is not an issue with a leak or something

read this out of interest,what is the Anwser for 2019 onwards G13 or G12,I didn’t even know you had to be specific lol thought you just bought engine coolant !!!

From other posters it seems that G13 is the VW Group coolant to use, the header tank should also have G13 written/printed onto it. G12, G12+ and G12++ were all replaced by G13, but for some reason G12 evo is a later version of VW Group coolant intended it seems for some other models.

Drop in coolant level in early life, typically only 2 main reasons, first one being leaks, the other one being air trapped in the system when the car was filled up in final assembly, many many VW Group cars have been reported as having an early life drop in coolant and it being attributed to trapped air pockets finally moving into the header tank - this is made possible by the small top pipe that allows for a certain about of self purging in use - normally this is happening more with SEAT and Skoda cars for some maybe strange reason.

So far no sign of external leaks on that car.

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
@Betts-4

As @RUM4MO says, air lock in system was common, mine had to be topped up recently by the garage and they said 99% sure it was because of this, but obviously check it a few weeks later etc.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
On a brand new car some topping up might be expected. Small air pockets, some hose stretching etc might make the tank level drop a little. Mine has dropped about 15mm I guess, so going to top up. Thing is my coolant looks pink, like OAT/G12, not purple, thats in a 19 plate Cupra.

Manufacturers are sometimes know to just stick in whatever they have laying around, wouldn't be the first time ive had a chimera car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members