Droning/Harmonic Humming sound

Aokuan

Aug 19, 2017
Hi,

Recently I have been hearing a droning sound coming from the front end when driving at speeds above 30mph, I suspect a wheel bearing is failing, however I have done the usual checks (loading more onto each side by turning in one direction. Checked the wheels for play whilst off the ground) and I can't find anything.

Its an 07 1.2 with 63000 miles.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I had similar... if it only starts above 30mph, then you wouldn't hear it just spinning the wheel by hand. I had to get my car on a ramp and get someone to rev it to get the wheels to spin fast enough to hear it whilst I stood next to it.

Aokuan

Aug 19, 2017
Just bumping my own thread here since I finally got a chance to replace the passenger side wheel bearing, since the noise appeared to be increasing whilst making a right turn. After great effort and a 20T was finally able to replace it.

However, the noise still appears to be there when making a right turn and driving along.. if not it is more clearer now than it was before.. The passenger side wheel bearing was indeed bad, but after now replacing it I'm baffled as to why it still sounds like a poor wheel bearing. I was thinking that it could possibly be the drivers side wheel bearing, but wouldn't that necessarily increase the noise on the drivers side when making a left turn (which it does not, the noise goes away).

If anyone has any experience with this I'd really appreciate some advice.

Cheers

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Last time I had a wheel bearing go I swore blind it was passenger side from the noises. The sound travelled, it was the opposite side.

Maybe you've had two bad bearings?

Aokuan

Aug 19, 2017
@R3k1355

You were indeed correct, thank you! The sound was travelling from the drivers side to the passenger side, making it seem like it wasn't the fault. Both of the wheel bearings were actually faulty and both went at the same time, what a coincidence..

Both are now replaced and no droning noises at all!

Reactions: R3k1355
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.