2.0 TSI 190 DSG

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
whilst i tend to agree - can i ask why? Apart from the heated seats and digital display, do you get anything else?

think i will test drive tonight and provided it all goes ok then i will ring up the other place and put a deposit down on it with the view of buying it (provided it is as good as they say).

i will be covering around 60k in 4 years, and the car in question has about 10k already. So what big things will need to be changed within these 4 years/60k mile period? (just trying to get a better idea of potential future costs etc)
The FR Sports are nice

The FR's are still full of tech, the sport just gives it a bit more

from what I know

FR sport
bigger 18" alloys
leather + heated seats
digital cluster display
sport dial setting in infotainment so you can see boost pressure etc

When I got my FR the FR Sport came out about a month later and I was a bit gutted, then there was only like 6 months later the black edition came out

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
whilst i tend to agree - can i ask why? Apart from the heated seats and digital display, do you get anything else?

think i will test drive tonight and provided it all goes ok then i will ring up the other place and put a deposit down on it with the view of buying it (provided it is as good as they say).

i will be covering around 60k in 4 years, and the car in question has about 10k already. So what big things will need to be changed within these 4 years/60k mile period? (just trying to get a better idea of potential future costs etc)
Likely two or three sets of tyres on all four corners.
Air Conditioning servicing will probably need to be done somewhere along that ownership
I've had my FR for 3 years, it is now 6 years old and done just under 50,000 miles and there is nothing over it's lifetime that has cost me enough to remember it being significant. Mainly just the tyres and the air con service.

Reactions: sheriffwoody

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019

• Leather seats with red stitching and ski hatch/rear arm rest.
  • Winter pack (Heated front seats, headlight washers, and heated washer nozzles and water).
  • 18" Performance Alloys 30/1.
  • DCC including associated Seat Drive Profile settings.
  • Digital Cockpit.
  • Slightly higher CO2 emmisions .
  • About 1mpg worse across the engine range.
  • £2150 more expensive (based on list price).

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Likely two or three sets of tyres on all four corners.
Air Conditioning servicing will probably need to be done somewhere along that ownership
I've had my FR for 3 years, it is now 6 years old and done just under 50,000 miles and there is nothing over it's lifetime that has cost me enough to remember it being significant. Mainly just the tyres and the air con service.
To add to this, if it is DSG, i beleive the DSG gearbox needs a service at 40,000 miles or every 3-4 years.

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
The E888 gen 3 engines are Timing chain driven NOT belt driven.

2.0 TSI EA888 Gen 3
The 2.0TSI EA888/3 or Gen3 was designed to be lighter and more efficient. First of all, the engine got a new cast iron cylinder block with thinner walls by 0.5 mm (3 mm instead of 3.5). There are new steel crankshaft, pistons and rings, oil pump and light-weight balancing shafts. The new engine design incorporates an entirely redeveloped cylinder head. It is a 16-valve aluminum DOHC cylinder head with an integrated and water-cooled exhaust manifold. Like before, the camshafts are driven by the timing chain and AVS system is applied for the intake valves only. But the variable valve timing system is available for both camshafts.

I have just had one Seat garage confirm that the FR model I am looking at is chain driven and the guy at the garage with the FR Sport model has confirmed their car has a cambelt!!!

What is the truth here? When did the EA888 Gen 3 engine come into play, which year?

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I have just had one Seat garage confirm that the FR model I am looking at is chain driven and the guy at the garage with the FR Sport model has confirmed their car has a cambelt!!!

What is the truth here? When did the EA888 Gen 3 engine come into play, which year?
In 2012 VAG migrated the cam belt on to most of their engines except those at 1.6 litre or higher. Meaning most FR's are Cam belt unless they have the 1.8 or 2.0 TSI Engines. The diesel varients are all cam belts.

My dealership thought my car had a cam belt, i took it in for a service and then they rang me up and said "oops, its actually got a cam chain"

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
This is a list of SEAT engines that have timing chains rather than belts:
  • 1.2 litre 3-cylinder petrol engine
  • 1.2TSI
  • 1.4 litre TSI and 1.6 litre TSI CAXC 4-cylinder up to 2012, thereafter were replaced by belt cam EA211
  • 1.6 litre FSI
  • 1.8 litre TSI 160
  • 2.0 litre 1,984cc 2-1PS EA888 TFSI
  • Alhambra V6

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019
Reactions: C_ED_99
Jan 7, 2020
Thanks... My dealer should sell bicycles.

There's someone with K & N panel filter or modified exhaust? Thanks!

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
Just test drive the 190 FR - lovely car. Drove really well.

We were out for about 27 mins and the mpg was 32, with long term mpg of 36 - so not quite the 40mpg I was hoping for.
Granted, we were in a stop/starty kind of test, with some blasts of acceleration in sport mode to get up to speed etc.

really nice car though - definitely felt quicker than 7.2 seconds to 60 (maybe it’s because I am used to an 11 second car!)

so now need to decide what to do. Go for it, or the FR sport, or chance my arm with an Octavia VRS (which I can’t see being any better on fuel?)

ExInferis

Feb 18, 2020

We were out for about 27 mins and the mpg was 32, with long term mpg of 36 - so not quite the 40mpg I was hoping for.
Granted, we were in a stop/starty kind of test, with some blasts of acceleration in sport mode to get up to speed etc.

really nice car though - definitely felt quicker than 7.2 seconds to 60 (maybe it’s because I am used to an 11 second car!)

so now need to decide what to do. Go for it, or the FR sport, or chance my arm with an Octavia VRS (which I can’t see being any better on fuel?)

Glad you liked it. You have to want to get 40mpg out of this car. It takes care to achieve it. Those figures sound right for a run with some sport mode. You now just gotta decide on the FR sport!

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019
Glad you liked it. You have to want to get 40mpg out of this car. It takes care to achieve it. Those figures sound right for a run with some sport mode. You now just gotta decide on the FR sport!

I played my local dealership off against another one. Make sure you let them know you have other interests and let them know how what they are up against.

I got a 11month old FR Sport 190 which had done less than 5K miles for £16K in December.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Not in every case (across all makes) but plastic cover on the pulley face of the engine means it has a cambelt not chain.

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
I played my local dealership off against another one. Make sure you let them know you have other interests and let them know how what they are up against.

I got a 11month old FR Sport 190 which had done less than 5K miles for £16K in December.

whilst a good idea, unfortunately there isn’t much out there in FR Spec that beats the one I am looking at for price.

they have knocked £100 off the price for me as a token gesture and said that’s the best they can do.
I will see if I can get a tank of fuel out of them and some mats

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Decisions decisions. Either will be great I never stop smiling in my ST FR. If I could would have got an FR Black but few and far between and not out when I got mine.

Just for you I drove home in normal with dsg in sport makes accelerating great fun and had some fun a fair few 0-???? And 50-???? Accelerations. It’s all up hill on way home and I still got 39mpg for the trip. I def think once past 10-12k and the loosen the MPG improves. First few weekend will be worse as you enjoy and get used to the dsg, I was mid 30’s then you will settle to reasonable MPG for the engine and driving style.

One note not mentioned is the 1.5 have cylinder cut tech not sure the 2.0 has it and the 2.0 has independent rear so is supposed to handle / ride better

Good luck on getting the one you decide.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise