Cupra itch...

shanky77

Sep 26, 2005
Ipswich, Suffolk
No doubt this has been asked a few times so apologies if it's the same old stuff

So I currently own and enjoy (relatively) a 65 plate Leon ST 184 FR that I've had for approx 3 years.
I've got a TDI tuning box on it so it's nice and torquey but having come from a mk1 Cupra R, stage 1 and a 98 Spec JDM DC2 Honda Integra Type R before that the ST is shall we say a little soft.

I love the ST and it ticks so so many boxes but it's just not as engaging to drive. I mean I like the fact it's £30 a year tax and can return 60mpg but.....

Now I'm thinking I could put coilovers on the FR and change the alloys etc etc but do I just go straight to a Cupra??

Anyways, what's people's thoughts? I know it's subjective and all that but keen to hear from anyone who's also made the switch.

Thanks
Shane

RCampbell1

Jan 8, 2017
UK
Don't mess about it's a total no brainer, you should immediately trade in your FR for a Cupra. I used to have a 2015 manual FR184 with a tuning box, now have a 2019 DSG Cupra. I can say a standard Cupra utterly destroys a tuned FR in every way apart from fuel consumption. However the Cupras fuel consumption is actually excellent in relative terms. Do it!

Reactions: Mr Pig and shanky77

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
I had the exact same model as you on a 16 plate until my son showed me a picture of a carbon edition,a four hour drive back from letchworth getting almost half the mpg but I didn't and still don't....care :thumbup:

Reactions: Damo H

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
No doubt this has been asked a few times so apologies if it's the same old stuff

So I currently own and enjoy (relatively) a 65 plate Leon ST 184 FR that I've had for approx 3 years.
I've got a TDI tuning box on it so it's nice and torquey but having come from a mk1 Cupra R, stage 1 and a 98 Spec JDM DC2 Honda Integra Type R before that the ST is shall we say a little soft.

I love the ST and it ticks so so many boxes but it's just not as engaging to drive. I mean I like the fact it's £30 a year tax and can return 60mpg but.....

Now I'm thinking I could put coilovers on the FR and change the alloys etc etc but do I just go straight to a Cupra??

Anyways, what's people's thoughts? I know it's subjective and all that but keen to hear from anyone who's also made the switch.

Thanks
Shane

I have the same car (14 plate) and really like it. As you say, it ticks so many boxes.

Do you find that the TDI tuning box is worth it? I have considered it. I've come from a Mk1 Leon 110bhp so the 184 was a nice step up but you can always have a bit more. What does the box add to the 184 and do you really notice it?

The answers you have received regarding getting a Cupra have not helped me either, as that was a potential consideration. I just can't afford one and I'm happy to stick with what I've got for now. I don't need mental power but a bit more is always helpful.

More importantly - what colour is your 184?

lee123

Jul 27, 2006
Birmingham
Get a cupra. I had a mapped fr tdi 150 then moved to a bmw 125d. Both were fairly quick, felt quicker due to the torque. Now I've got a cupra 300 dsg. Night and day difference in performance between either and sounds soooooo much better. Mpg is good for the type of car it is if that matters to you.

shanky77

Sep 26, 2005
Ipswich, Suffolk
I have the same car (14 plate) and really like it. As you say, it ticks so many boxes.

Do you find that the TDI tuning box is worth it? I have considered it. I've come from a Mk1 Leon 110bhp so the 184 was a nice step up but you can always have a bit more. What does the box add to the 184 and do you really notice it?

The answers you have received regarding getting a Cupra have not helped me either, as that was a potential consideration. I just can't afford one and I'm happy to stick with what I've got for now. I don't need mental power but a bit more is always helpful.

More importantly - what colour is your 184?

I’d say the tuning box transformed the car to be honest. My cousin has a Golf GTI 62 plate so think that’s around 210bhp and I have no problem keeping up with him. Think I may even pull away slightly.
Think it says 230bhp with the tuning box but more likely around 220. I’ve just been up to Yorkshire (I’m from Ipswich) and still returned 56mpg and that’s with a roof box on.

Mine is Mediterranean blue.

Reactions: BillyCool

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I’d say the tuning box transformed the car to be honest. My cousin has a Golf GTI 62 plate so think that’s around 210bhp and I have no problem keeping up with him. Think I may even pull away slightly.
Think it says 230bhp with the tuning box but more likely around 220. I’ve just been up to Yorkshire (I’m from Ipswich) and still returned 56mpg and that’s with a roof box on.

Mine is Mediterranean blue.

Nice one. Thanks for that. I might consider one. Which one have you got? I know there are a few to choose from. Anything 200+ BHP is fine with me. I'm quite tempted now!

I know a remap might be `best` but I had a cheaper tuning box on my old Mk1 Leon and it seemed to work ok.

Med Blue would be my 2nd choice after my lovely Emocion Red!

shanky77

Sep 26, 2005
Ipswich, Suffolk
Nice one. Thanks for that. I might consider one. Which one have you got? I know there are a few to choose from. Anything 200+ BHP is fine with me. I'm quite tempted now!

I know a remap might be `best` but I had a cheaper tuning box on my old Mk1 Leon and it seemed to work ok.

Med Blue would be my 2nd choice after my lovely Emocion Red!

This is the one I have (hope posting links is ok?)
https://tdi-tuning.com/car/seat/leo...riple-channel-with-rpm-diesel-tuning-box-chip

You’ll love it if you do it - what I really like is the boxes can be reprogrammed to fit most cars so can take it with you if you sell your car

Reactions: BillyCool and R45HU

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.