New battery - start/stop

Jan 18, 2019
So looks like I need a new battery for my 2010 ecomotive 1.5D start/stop.

To be honest the start-stop hardly ever cuts in, certainly not in winter, and I don't really use it or like it.

There's a hefty price difference between a decent normal battery and one that is heavy duty enough for start/stop - nearly double the price! Question is, if I get a normal battery will start/stop just not work (which is OK) or will it just come on anyway but give me problems?

I know I can turn the start/stop off each time but I also know I'll forget and there's no way to permanently disable it

ta

Jan 18, 2019
And to follow up my own post...various websites are saying that as it's stop/start I will need to get it programmed by a mechanic. Has it really come to this - a DIYer can't even change a car battery without needing a professional?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Start/Stop will still work, but it'll no be great for a normal battery.

As for coding it, not entirely sure it's needed on a 2010 Ecomotive

Jan 18, 2019
Thanks, I asked a local mechanic and it doesn't need coding. Not gonna get one for less than £120 though o_O

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
The battery regulation system (only fitted to CAYC engined models that have stop start) should really be updated via adaption with details of the new battery so that it knows the battery has been changed and what the new capacity is.

It won't be able to make correct decisions about when to allow and disallow activation of the stop start feature otherwise.

That said, worst that'll happen if you don't is that it'll start throwing error messages and the system will stop working eventually as it will estimate the battery wear is too great to allow use of stop start anymore as it won't know there's a new battery.

Reactions: Leon2010
Jan 18, 2019
Rusty that makes sense, and I've never got on with start/stop on a manual car anyway so tempted to just disable it on each journey.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise