How close to the legal limit do you let yours tyres go?

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Wet very very good. Cold can’t say they’re any worse as I take it easy anyway, but compared to the Continentals night and day better.
No love for the Conti’s then...never had them myself. I’ve got a few months to decide so I’ll probably change my mind several times before then haha.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
They have really good reviews and I do drive it hard sometimes so want to try the PS4 tyres. I've never had them before, always had these Turanzas.

I've had Bridgestones on a couple of cars, there are four Potenza s001 on the car right now, and I've never liked any of them. Goodyear, always good. These Potenza will be getting replaced by either Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 or Supersports.

A couple of years ago I knew the tyres on the other car were getting low but it was only a month or so until I'd be putting the winter tyres on so I left them. When I took them off to fit the winters the outside was down to a mil or so and the inside few inches had zero tread at all! :0. Idiot.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
1 word of warning about the eagle f1 asy 5’s

they beat the bridgestones hands down in every department except noise, they are a noisy tyre so you will notice that straight away.

its a compromise i accept however

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020

they beat the bridgestones hands down in every department except noise, they are a noisy tyre so you will notice that straight away.

I was gonna mention noise...the tyre labels are external noise for pedestrians...are you talking from experience and they are louder in the cabin?

Not found the Rainsports to be too bad but I don’t think I’ve ever had a particularly quiet or loud tyre all been much the same until they’ve worn down I’ve half way.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

So, have Bridge. finally sorted their noise problem out, or have Goodyear developed a noisy tyre..

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I was gonna mention noise...the tyre labels are external noise for pedestrians...are you talking from experience and they are louder in the cabin?

Not found the Rainsports to be too bad but I don’t think I’ve ever had a particularly quiet or loud tyre all been much the same until they’ve worn down I’ve half way.
In the cabin you will notice it

was worse when they were new, they have settled down a bit

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
They said the SuperSports where noisier that the other tyres too (PS4S and Conti 6)
Think I’m gonna try the RS5’s when I get round to changing as it will be towards the end of the year so some rain tyres will make sense...gotta be better that the S001’s I’m not impressed with them but not sure if it’s just how the car is so will see when changed over.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
They said the SuperSports where noisier that the other tyres too (PS4S and Conti 6)
I recon it’s because they have to reduce the external noise to pass the tests and so directing it into the wheel well and consequently into the cabin. Looks good on the label though and pedestrians are happy even though 95% of my driving no pedestrian would want to (or could) walk anywhere near :doh:

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have 225/45 Nokians on my current 17" winter wheels & will replace them at 3-4mm tread depth. My summer 225/40-18s wil be changed at 2-3mm.
I had Goodyear F1s on my last car (Octavia vRS) and liked them. Think I will try Rainsports on my Leon FR 1.4 (150) when my summer tyres need changing
I always swap my tyres front/back so I can buy a set of 4 matched tyres.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
The last thing you want to be gambling with is your tyres. As soon as you think they're getting low you should be getting some new rubber. Not worth coming off the road for a few mm.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
The last thing you want to be gambling with is your tyres. As soon as you think they're getting low you should be getting some new rubber. Not worth coming off the road for a few mm.
I don’t know how hard you guys push it but I’ve personally never had an issue even down close to 1.6mm unless there is excessive standing water and usually taking it steady during such conditions anyway.

I always get half decent rubber though (always a named brand and one of the top of the range - PZero, Rainsport, Eagle F1, etc) so may have something to do with it?

But I totally agree...if you’re not confident in the tyre then get them changed regardless of how much ‘meat’ is left on them...better safe than sorry.

Reactions: davidstarkey11

jf_cole

Jan 28, 2020
I previously read an article saying that from 3mm down to the legal limit the wet weather performance drastically goes downhill. 3mm is where you should be thinking about replacement.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I previously read an article saying that from 3mm down to the legal limit the wet weather performance drastically goes downhill. 3mm is where you should be thinking about replacement.

There are loads of vids on Youtube and articles which agree with this. I always change mine at 3mm as well. For me, it's not about performance / grip but braking distance in an emergency.
upload_2020-3-2_11-48-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-2_11-48-34.png
    upload_2020-3-2_11-48-34.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
There are loads of vids on Youtube and articles which agree with this. I always change mine at 3mm as well. For me, it's not about performance / grip but braking distance in an emergency.
View attachment 13299
Yep...I always leave a nice big breaking zone in wet (and dry) conditions...till some muppet pulls into it without indicating of course :doh:

Reactions: Legojon

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Wet very very good. Cold can’t say they’re any worse as I take it easy anyway, but compared to the Continentals night and day better.
My brother has PS4S on his BMW and they are useless at the moment. We swapped them back on to the car just over a week ago when we thought the weather might be clearing up. Went for a spin to make sure they were alright and they lost traction with minimal throttle. Wasn't great. They don't perform well on wet cold roads.

Needless to say the winter tyres went back on after that.

EDIT: turns out they were the super sports which I don't think are available in 19 inch. they are however very capabale in the dry and very quiet on the roads. But crap on cold wet roads with various organic detritus cmeared across the country lanes and A roads round my way.

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
My brother has PS4S on his BMW and they are useless at the moment. We swapped them back on to the car just over a week ago when we thought the weather might be clearing up. Went for a spin to make sure they were alright and they lost traction with minimal throttle. Wasn't great. They don't perform well on wet cold roads.

Needless to say the winter tyres went back on after that.

EDIT: turns out they were the super sports which I don't think are available in 19 inch. they are however very capabale in the dry and very quiet on the roads. But crap on cold wet roads with various organic detritus cmeared across the country lanes and A roads round my way.
Yeah as much as I loved my PSS, the PS4S are better in the wet.

Reactions: The Daily Meme

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Does anyone bother rotating their tyres? Obviously the fronts are wearing faster than the rears, so I was thinking of swapping them around. Also means I replace all 4 at once which id prefer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise