1.5TSI EVO Tuning

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
IMG-20200303-190926.jpg

Had to defer original delivery date but it finally came today. It's well packaged and looks very well made.
Which version did you go for in the end?

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
The S model which is the basic one. I couldn't bring myself to spend £250 with the Bluetooth option. Although I've just found out that Racechip are on Quidco if you use that? 13% cashback on all purchases.
Seems a sensible choice based on bigjase’s write up!

let us know how you get on tomorrow and make sure you have the plasters ready ;)

Reactions: ReddStripe

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
Well my knuckles look like I've been holding hands with Freddie Krueger, but it's installed. To be fair to Racechip the instructions are pretty good and Jase's input made it clearer :clap:.

I'm pretty impressed with it for the price. It's well built and solid. The connectors have VW markings and the loom is well constructed. Installation was awkward due to the position of the connectors in the engine bay. Not the fault of Racechip at all and they have tried to provide comprehensive instructions which was a nice touch.

It's made the car more excitable in the upper rev range but as Jase found it hasn't all of a sudden dealt with the lack of low rev torque. I've altered the accelerator pedal response type (via OBDeleven) to threshold dependant rather than time dependent and this made it just a touch more lively when responding to a quick dab on the accelerator. I've got mine on setting 5 and will run it over the next few days to see if it needs dropping down a little but so far so good.

For 119 quid (with 13% cashback if you get that as well) it's pretty alright. I don't have access to any rolling road or Dyno so can't give any scientific feedback other than to say yes, I can tell a difference, but it's not blown me away thinking I'm now driving a Cupra :cheeky:.

Reactions: Rooster

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
I keep contemplating one of these for my 1.4 FR. I have the 150hp version but have come from a line of very quick to mildly quick cars so the Leon feels very sedate. Sometimes it feels like it has some urgency to it, other times it just feels like it doesn't perform at all (it certainly runs out of puff higher in the rev range). I keep wondering if one of these might just make it a little more interesting (I got the 1.4 as something that could still be fun but also much more economical and a lot cheaper to run than my previous cars).

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
I keep contemplating one of these for my 1.4 FR. I have the 150hp version but have come from a line of very quick to mildly quick cars so the Leon feels very sedate. Sometimes it feels like it has some urgency to it, other times it just feels like it doesn't perform at all (it certainly runs out of puff higher in the rev range). I keep wondering if one of these might just make it a little more interesting (I got the 1.4 as something that could still be fun but also much more economical and a lot cheaper to run than my previous cars).

I have the same engine and wondering the same.

Would be nice to have an opinion on it before considering it .

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
In my perfect world I would have liked a bluefin map to load and unload via the OBD but this is not possible yet on 1.5 TSi engines.

The Racechip boxes are good value. The do offer a 30 day period to ask for a return if you're not satisfied with it so the risk is low if you're not happy. I'm pretty happy with mine for what it cost.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
In my perfect world I would have liked a bluefin map to load and unload via the OBD but this is not possible yet on 1.5 TSi engines.

The Racechip boxes are good value. The do offer a 30 day period to ask for a return if you're not satisfied with it so the risk is low if you're not happy. I'm pretty happy with mine for what it cost.
I do like bluefin, had one on my old 330d beemer.

funny how tuning companys get praise, on a ford forum it’s all dreamscience and bluefin, wheras go on a VAG forum and nobody speaks of them.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have decided it is much faster, certainly worth the £119, makes the car much more what it should of been.

played about with the settings and on setting 5 it is staying.

car needs to be up to full operating temp to feel the difference, from cold feels stock i think the ecu holds it back somehow until upto temperature, then when warm goes a lot better than stock.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
I have decided it is much faster, certainly worth the £119, makes the car much more what it should of been.

played about with the settings and on setting 5 it is staying.

car needs to be up to full operating temp to feel the difference, from cold feels stock i think the ecu holds it back somehow until upto temperature, then when warm goes a lot better than stock.
What difference does the settings make? Are they for fuel quality, smoothness or do they crank up the power?

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
What difference does the settings make? Are they for fuel quality, smoothness or do they crank up the power?

They are said to be preset fine tuning for the map installed in the control unit. But yes the higher the number the more power apparently. The claimed fuel savings are upto 15% on this model but it may be no where near that.

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I doubt it will save any fuel, the settings are power increments, 5 = most power 1 = least power

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
I doubt it will save any fuel, the settings are power increments, 5 = most power 1 = least power
I’m soo tempted but also really considering the quantum or Revo (if/when Revo is ever available for the 1.5).

Your guys reviews are tempting me as it’s a fairly small outlay and seems to have provided a decent increase in performance for the £.

Mar 16, 2020
Hello *,

Happy owner of a 1.5 TGI EVO seat leon Mk3. It's almost indenticall to the Petrol Powered 1.5 TSI EVO 130hp, With the following differences:
- Stronger valves and pistons (to withstand the increased heat from running CNG).
- No ACT system

These are the results from a local Stage 1 tuneup:
xuvCWzL.jpg

161,5 Hp and 22,8 Nm of torque on a MAHA dyno.

The throttle response is greatly improved.
The car is fun to drive. This engine totally worths this minor boost.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members