DSG question

garyevs

Aug 28, 2015
I'll be getting a new Cupra soon, I have a question about the way the DSG box works, and saw this article about the DSG gearbox, and the best way to manage the gear changes to avoid the DSG lag.

Tip - Increase Throttle Position *Before* a Downshift, Not After.
Accelerator position is a major KEY in influencing the alternate gear selection. While there are many, many factors that go into telling the brains of the DSG what gear to switch the alternate gearbox into (And its impossible to get a handle on them all), "Intent" is a huge one. The DSG uses the throttle position to determine if you are thinking of accelerating (queues up a lower gear for performance) or not accelerating / decelerating (Queues up a higher gear for economy) -Seems pretty "Duh" right? If you are wanting to accelerate, you put the pedal down. If you don't want accelerate, you let off the throttle or hold it at minimal. Nobody would argue with that. But what you may not think about is that if you are used to driving a manual, and are now driving a DSG - your habits may *actually confuse* the DSG and make it think you want the opposite of what you are about to do. Here is what I mean. Lets look at a manual transmission driving scenario for downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to accelerate :

Let off Accelerator -> Clutch In -> Downshift -> Accelerate / Clutch Out

So now lets say you do the same thing in a DSG, so out of habit you do everything but the clutch :

Let off Accelerator -> Downshift -> Accelerate

If you do this (Which I found is exactly what I did) - This actually gives the DSG the wrong idea. If you are not on the accelerator, it assumes you don't want to accelerate. It assumes you want economy, not performance. So the alternate gearbox had a higher gear (4th) instead of a lower gear (2nd) chosen. Boom. You just caused an 800ms gear change instead of a 200ms one, and during that time you were off the accelerator during a time you could have been on it (You dont have a clutch now, you dont have to let off!) so you didnt even have propulsion the whole time you could have.

So what if you broke the habit to let off the accelerator before a shift, and instead pressed the accelerator down *then* changed gears? You're letting the DSG know you want to accelerate - It will have the lower gear ready for you because you are telling it from the pedal position you want performance - not economy. Breaking this single habit was personally a game changer for me - I realized it was simply something left over from 20+ years of pressing in a clutch. Now granted, you cant just expect to be at zero throttle position, hit the gas and downshift and expect a quick change. You have to think ahead, and already have been accelerating by the time you need the downshift. Its a habit change to not try to let off the accelerator before a downshift, or at all if you don't need to - and do the opposite. This takes some discipline, and feels odd at first, but once you get rewarded with a quick pick up - It gets easier.

If you can master this, I bet you will start noticing a substantial difference in gear availability. I noticed that I was able to start predicting when I would need the downshift a second ahead, hit the gas, pause, down shift and -Bam-. You end up not losing that second of "no power" driving during the shift due to your reaction time, momentum isn't broken, and you optimize the DSG's ability to help you out.

This mostly makes sense, but there is one thing mentioned that seems a little confusing:

“So what if you broke the habit to let off the accelerator before a shift, and instead pressed the accelerator down *then* changed gears? You're letting the DSG know you want to accelerate - It will have the lower gear ready for you because you are telling it from the pedal position you want performance - not economy”

So if you are accelerating, the DSG preloads a lower gear. What happens when it’s time to change up ? This seems a little contradictory, or am I missing something ?

Bullet

Mar 1, 2019
Bedfordshire
Take a look at my reply to your other post for my thoughts. I don't get the idea of accelerating before you want it to shift? Surely you'd be constantly accelerating? I'm talking about it downshifting for a bend here. If you are wanting to go up the box and accelerate to a higher speed then you just keep your foot in and it goes up the gears without any hesitation... If you want a positive downshift nd have a lower gear to power through a bend best to use the paddle and make the gearbox do what you want it to do.
Hope this makes some kind of sense!

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
You seem to be over thinking having a dsg, there's nothing to it, just leaving it in auto and just drive normally and let the box do its thing
I agree with this; the DSG works very well in drive mode, much snappier than a conventional auto. Just leave it to it's own devices and you'll be fine.

Having had manual cars for many years, I originally expected to use the paddles all the time but, TBH, it works so well in drive mode that I only use them for the occasional overtaking manuoevre or when "out to play".

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
As above you are overthinking it, just drive it and you will learn its foibles.

What you are refering to about that article though.. The gearbox always has the next gear ready, so if you are accelerating its going to think you want a higher gear and ready that. Slowing down its going to prep a lower gear. You can still request the opposite but it will take a bit longer to select and you can trip it up, but you shouldn't be driving like that anyway.

Also approaching a roundabout or somewhere you aren't going to come to a complete stop it can get confused and you can end up with no power for a split second when you need it, thats always been the main issue people have had with DSG.

Drive is fine but it does shift up gears asap so imo it makes the car feel bogged down all the time, you have to basically kick down to acclerate.

If you want a proper play put it in manual mode, if you are readying an overtake or sat at the front of some lights and want to launch off throw it into Sport mode for it.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Expect the DSG (from experience with the 6 speed 'wet' DSG on the 2.0TDI, and the 7 speed 'dry' DSG on the 1.0TSI) to select Gear 2 (D2) when you slow down at a roundabout (but not completely stop) and need to go off again. Now the 2.0TDI has power so pulling away with 2nd, from almost a complete stop is ok, the 1.0TSI even on the Ibiza, not so much. Flicking the gear into Sports mode when approaching may help it select 1st instead, ready to go. My current V40 'Geatronic' torque converter box does the opposite, it's always eager to select 1st, even if rolling 3-4mph. Strange!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members