Installing Rieger Rear Diffuser - Cupra ST

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
I’ve just received my new Rieger Rear Diffuser for my Cupra ST and tried to install it this morning.

But I can’t even get the old one off...

The instructions that came with it are useless, and I’m struggling to find any useful guides on removing it.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction or explain how they got there’s off?

Thanks in advance.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
I’ve just received my new Rieger Rear Diffuser for my Cupra ST and tried to install it this morning.

But I can’t even get the old one off...

The instructions that came with it are useless, and I’m struggling to find any useful guides on removing it.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction or explain how they got there’s off?

Thanks in advance.

@dmpx.... underneath the oem diffuser there should be 3 fixings you need to remove,one each end and one in the middle. Then youneed to use a plastic trim removing tool and starting at one side you need to insert it between trim and bumper.
14712c487fc1d316ce4ea0e6af306fb6.jpg

Red screws. Blue trim tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: dmpx and Damo H

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
Da
@dmpx.... underneath the oem diffuser there should be 3 fixings you need to remove,one each end and one in the middle. Then youneed to use a plastic trim removing tool and starting at one side you need to insert it between trim and bumper.
14712c487fc1d316ce4ea0e6af306fb6.jpg

Red screws. Blue trim tool.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick - Really appreciate your help with this!

I’ve removed the screws (There only appears to be 2 on mine) and I’ve spent the last 40 minutes nearly ripping the bumper off entirely trying to separate them with a trim tool.

The very edges of my existing diffuser, appear to riveted to the heat shield (I think that’s what it is - Silver foil stuff). Is this the case and does it need ripped off?

I can’t seem to get the bumper and the diffuser separated either... I’ve tried everything I can think of.

When I get the 2 parts separated enough that the clips should come out, nothing will actually let me pull the diffuser off.

Do I need to push it level with the ground or pull the bottom out? Or is there another way?

Apologies for all of this - I’m at my wits end and ready for giving up if I’m honest! Which is a bad idea because my new exhaust is getting fitted tomorrow and I’d like it done before then. I’ve been at this 2.5 hours and so far I’ve removed 2 bolts and scratched my bumper :banghead:

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Da

Thanks for getting back to me so quick - Really appreciate your help with this!

I’ve removed the screws (There only appears to be 2 on mine) and I’ve spent the last 40 minutes nearly ripping the bumper off entirely trying to separate them with a trim tool.

The very edges of my existing diffuser, appear to riveted to the heat shield (I think that’s what it is - Silver foil stuff). Is this the case and does it need ripped off?

I can’t seem to get the bumper and the diffuser separated either... I’ve tried everything I can think of.

When I get the 2 parts separated enough that the clips should come out, nothing will actually let me pull the diffuser off.

Do I need to push it level with the ground or pull the bottom out? Or is there another way?

Apologies for all of this - I’m at my wits end and ready for giving up if I’m honest! Which is a bad idea because my new exhaust is getting fitted tomorrow and I’d like it done before then. I’ve been at this 2.5 hours and so far I’ve removed 2 bolts and scratched my bumper :banghead:

@dmpx..don’t know if there is any difference between pre facelift and facelift models of the st diffuser but mine came off very easy. Found this picture from the workshop manuals if it helps.
c4d99c5f63b69734776e292be3a75997.jpg

Reactions: dmpx and R45HU

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Good job i came across this thread i am just awaiting delivery of Reiger front splitter and rear diffuser so wanting to be prepared so i know what is expected always anticipated diffuser was going to be trickier but thanks to @Deano j1971 i feel a bit more confident attempting it when the the time comes to remove and install the new diffuser.

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
@dmpx..don’t know if there is any difference between pre facelift and facelift models of the st diffuser but mine came off very easy. Found this picture from the workshop manuals if it helps.
c4d99c5f63b69734776e292be3a75997.jpg

Thanks again Deano!

Unfortunately, still no luck and the light died...

Do I need to specifically disengage each clip or just pull the 2 parts apart?

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks again Deano!

Unfortunately, still no luck and the light died...

Do I need to specifically disengage each clip or just pull the 2 parts apart?

@dmpx...once I had one end loose I just gave it a bloody good pull and it came off the clips.

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
@dmpx...once I had one end loose I just gave it a bloody good pull and it came off the clips.

Okay - I’ll have to grow a pair tomorrow and just give it a good tug!

Keep an eye out tomorrow for photos my cracked rear bumper :whistle:

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
For anyone coming across this post with the same issue...

You will need to drill out 4 rivets (2 on each side) and remove 2 screws at which point the diffuser will just pull straight off with a little force.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018

You will need to drill out 4 rivets (2 on each side) and remove 2 screws at which point the diffuser will just pull straight off with a little force.

@dmpx....glad to hear that you’ve got the old diffuser off, have you installed the new Rieger one yet.We need to see some pics of the final product please.

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
@dmpx....glad to hear that you’ve got the old diffuser off, have you installed the new Rieger one yet.We need to see some pics of the final product please.

New diffuser and splitter both installed! It’s getting a deep clean tomorrow and new exhaust tips on Monday so I’ll get some photos up then.

Very excited to see how it all looks!

Jun 19, 2019

Hello
I have the cupra 280 hatchback model and I have ordered the rieger diffuser as well. Can you give me a bit more details on how to remove the oem diffuser from my car in order to install the new one? Any help would be appreciated.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.