Getting my first Cupra. Some questions

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Hey guys, I've finally convinced the missus to let me get a Cupra.
Got a few questions as I'll be getting a used one. Would really appreciate any help and sorry if it's been asked a thousand times.

1. What's the highest mileage I should look at. I know it's not everything as number of owners and service history means more but just a general idea?

2. DSG or manual? I know this is a personal preference and I will be hopefully testing both, but just wanting everyone else's view on this.

3. I want one that comes with Full Link. I read that cars that come with a USB in the centre console can have it activated. Is this true and worth it or should I just get one that comes standard?

4. My work commute is 30 miles round trip, which consists of slight inclines and declines, 60 to 30 and vice versa. If I drove very sensible what MPG could I achieve? For example I can get 50-55 if I really try in my 1.4TSI.

5. Anything I should know about them before I make a great decision?

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
1. Just make sure it has a clean history and all work done, I would figure out what kind of miles you are going to be putting on it though and work backwards kind of, you don't want to end up with a 100k Cupra in a year or 2.

2. Preference like you said, nobody can tell you if you prefer DSG/Auto or manual.

3. Is Full Link Apple/Google car play or something different? Apple/Google car play is standard on them all I think though.

4. I have a 3 mile trip to work, mostly 60 with a few lights that can be red. If I'm very light with the throttle and the lights are good I can get 26-27, If I boot it I get about 18-21. On a longer steady run and motorway get up to 30-33 pretty quickly, I've never seen past 33 yet though.

5. It can get rattly.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Facelift cars should all have full link as standard as far as i know.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
My one addition to the above advice is to try and avoid a leased car if buying and try and get full seat history,I'm sure a lot of leased cars are looked after but too many times I've read about people thrashing them from new with no run in.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
My one addition to the above advice is to try and avoid a leased car if buying and try and get full seat history,I'm sure a lot of leased cars are looked after but too many times I've read about people thrashing them from new with no run in.

How would you know if it was leased?

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
Good question,I haven't a clue about leasing,previous owner on the log book maybe ?,hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject could answer that

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Thanks for that guys.
I won't be looking at a facelift due to budget.
I do about 11K miles a year, I can get this down by avoiding unnecessary journeys.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Good question,I haven't a clue about leasing,previous owner on the log book maybe ?,hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject could answer that

Even if its a lease isn't the car registered in the persons name? I don't think you can tell if its leased really.

Just test drive and look over the history, you don't know if anybody has bedded in a car properly so its not something worth worrying about.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Thanks for that guys.
I won't be looking at a facelift due to budget.
I do about 11K miles a year, I can get this down by avoiding unnecessary journeys.

I just got a 65 plate in December for £13,785. Think I got a pretty good deal.. 5 door, DSG, Alor Blue, Seat Sound Pack and the Winter Pack and just under 46K miles. :thumbup:

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
I just got a 65 plate in December for £13,785. Think I got a pretty good deal.. 5 door, DSG, Alor Blue, Seat Sound Pack and the Winter Pack and just under 46K miles. :thumbup:
I've seen a few like that priced just under 15k. Think you did well. Would love Alor blue but it's not very common.

Reactions: Tonezz

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Even if its a lease isn't the car registered in the persons name? I don't think you can tell if its leased really.

Just test drive and look over the history, you don't know if anybody has bedded in a car properly so its not something worth worrying about.
The V5 is always registered in the leasing company's name rather than the user's but I'm not sure they still quote the details of previous owners on the V5 anymore. I have a vague recollection about them stopping that due to data protection concerns.

I would take the service history as the biggest clue. Leased cars always seem to be on longlife servicing (a complete con IMO) independent of whether or not it's appropriate to the cars usage. Look for a car that's been serviced at 10k or 1 yr intervals. Cars which have changed hands after exactly 2 or 3 years are also likely to have been leased.

Frankly some of the comments on here from people leasing their cars have been shocking.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
The V5 is always registered in the leasing company's name rather than the user's but I'm not sure they still quote the details of previous owners on the V5 anymore. I have a vague recollection about them stopping that due to data protection concerns.

I would take the service history as the biggest clue. Leased cars always seem to be on longlife servicing (a complete con IMO) independent of whether or not it's appropriate to the cars usage. Look for a car that's been serviced at 10k or 1 yr intervals. Cars which have changed hands after exactly 2 or 3 years are also likely to have been leased.

Frankly some of the comments on here from people leasing their cars have been shocking.
My Cupra is a lease. I've taken care of it as it was my own. I know some folk rag them to hell.

If I was to give this lease up somebody would get a very good car. I'm waiting on VWFS giving me a good offer to buy the car.

Yes, I have used it in anger but the car is made for that. I've never been the "thrash" it type because it's 'not' my car

I get 28 mpg on my similar commute, had 40+ on long runs

Last edited:
Reactions: Maypack

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
My Cupra is a lease. I've taken care of it as it was my own. I know some folk rag them to hell.

If I was to give this lease up somebody would get a very good car. I'm waiting on VWFS giving me a good offer to buy the car.

Yes, I have used it in anger but the car is made for that. I've never been the "thrash" it type because it's 'not' my car

I get 28 mpg on my similar commute, had 40+ on long runs

Nice to see some lease drivers taking care of their cars. It annoys the crap out of me when I read (predominantly on FB) comments such as “it’s a lease, just launch it cold direct from the forecourt”. Some people have no thoughts for future owners who may not be in a position to have a new car.

My car which isn’t a lease has never been launched by me (I have launched a Seat owned Ateca CUPRA on a recent SEAT track day) but I have red lined it but only when the oil is well up to temperature. I will eventually sell this car and would like the new owner to get a well looked after car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foordy

Apr 15, 2019
Yeah don't buy leased, I've booted mine since the beginning after being told there's no break-in period.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Yeah don't buy leased, I've booted mine since the beginning after being told there's no break-in period.
It's not so much the lack of running in that worries me as booting it from cold and two year oil change intervals.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Hey guys, I've finally convinced the missus to let me get a Cupra.
Got a few questions as I'll be getting a used one. Would really appreciate any help and sorry if it's been asked a thousand times.

1. What's the highest mileage I should look at. I know it's not everything as number of owners and service history means more but just a general idea?

2. DSG or manual? I know this is a personal preference and I will be hopefully testing both, but just wanting everyone else's view on this.

3. I want one that comes with Full Link. I read that cars that come with a USB in the centre console can have it activated. Is this true and worth it or should I just get one that comes standard?

4. My work commute is 30 miles round trip, which consists of slight inclines and declines, 60 to 30 and vice versa. If I drove very sensible what MPG could I achieve? For example I can get 50-55 if I really try in my 1.4TSI.

5. Anything I should know about them before I make a great decision?
1. That's upto you really, my personal choice would be to buy something with average miles circa 10k a year or less but if you do low mileage per year then something slightly higher than average would be fine as it'll average out after a few years. It also depends on how long you intend to keep the car for, how many miles you'll add to it and that then affects future sell on value/ease to sell it.

2. Personal choice. There's a lot more DSG out there than manual and in 2018 (not exactly sure when but for WLTP I think Sept) they went DSG only. If you want to re-map then probably best to go for DSG as the manual will need an uprated clutch which obviously adds to the costs. For me I went manual as that's my preference.

3. Not sure when FL came standard, I had a 280SC that didn't have it, 65 reg. My 300SC has it.

4. Take it steady and you could get mid 30's. The most I've seen on my trip was 40mpg but that was a slow drive to work stuck at about 40, and a lot of 30 zones. Average is about 30mpg. Less than 20 when given some and having fun.

5. Buy it, they're great cars. Are you looking for a SC, 5DR or ST?

As for ex-lease, some may be thrashed others not, same for PCP returns. I wouldn't imagine many are bought out right cash but you'll never know how it's been treated with any 2nd hand car. To not buy ex-lease is illogical really, you have no idea how any used car has been driven, just because someone purchased outright doesn't mean they'll look after it, especially if they get rid after 2 or 3 years. A 1 owner 10 year old car has probably been looked after but no guarantee. Just my view, not right or wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUM4MO

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Having leased my current and previous 2 cars, I certainly take care of them as if they were my own. Eg..follow the breakin period, using only light to medium throttle, varying the revs for first 1k miles After which, wait till engine up to temp before booting it (now this is difficult with my V40 as there is no temp gauge!). I only give it petrol from Shell/Esso/BP/Texaco and every 10th fill I put the 97-99RON super fuel :). Yes I consider myself lucky that I have the opportunity to drive a brand new car paying lease money and whoever gets the car after me would have an almost perfect 2 year old car, mechnically and bodywork wise.
I come from Singapore where the cost of getting just the licence (you must bid) to buy a car (the COE) is the price of an entry level Seat Ibiza here. Likewise the price of a brand Seat Leon 1.4 FR in SIngapore, for the same money you can buy a F-Type Jag or BMW M3/M4.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've known people who lease cars and bought others and I don't see any difference in how they treat or drive the cars.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
Definitely highly recommend that you buy one, they are actually safer to drive than your normal car with better brakes, limited slip front diff, better stability and grip (of course depending on tyre wear and type).
Very flexible, one journey you have it in full comfort mode then the next minute you fancy a bit of fun so its into Cupra mode and you are left with a big grin on your face.
I would definitely go for the DSG as great to drive with or without the paddles. This is only my second car that has been an auto/DSG type, first was a E46 BMW M3 which was good but i absolutely love my Cupra.
You wont regret it!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members