Front Bumper Tow Eye Cover

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Hi guys,

The eye toe cover on the front bumper of my 2019 1.5 tsi evo130bhp has gone missing and I don't know how.

Anyway, I rang seat and they wanted 70 quid excl VAT, which I thought was pricey for a tiny circular piece of plastic. They said it would need to be sprayed the purple colour the car is, which bumps the cost up I guess.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get one cheaper? I've seen some on ebay but don't want to go ordering an incorrect part.

Many thanks in advance.

Purch123

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Just check the price of the part unpainted and get your own quote for painting, sounds a but dear compared to whatI charged at Kia but it will depend on painting costs, bodyshops don't want small jobs especially if they're not everyday colours, often I would get small jobs done when the shop were doing a bigger repair to another car the same colour.

Reactions: Purch123

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Just check the price of the part unpainted and get your own quote for painting, sounds a but dear compared to whatI charged at Kia but it will depend on painting costs, bodyshops don't want small jobs especially if they're not everyday colours, often I would get small jobs done when the shop were doing a bigger repair to another car the same colour.

Thanks for the reply mate. Just what I was thinking. Would anyone know the part number by any chance or a means to obtain it before I ring Seat again?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You might be able to get the cover from a scrap yard. Even if a bumper is mashed that cover will likely be ok. Paint it yourself with rattle cans. One of the colour and a tin of lacquer. Spraying small items like that is easy.

Probably twenty to thirty quid for the paint, fiver for the cover plus you'll then have the tin of paint for stone chips in future.

Purch123

May 6, 2014
You might be able to get the cover from a scrap yard. Even if a bumper is mashed that cover will likely be ok. Paint it yourself with rattle cans. One of the colour and a tin of lacquer. Spraying small items like that is easy.

Probably twenty to thirty quid for the paint, fiver for the cover plus you'll then have the tin of paint for stone chips in future.

Thanks mate for the great response, I'll look into it and see what I can find!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There aren't many left but if you can physically walk into a scrap yard and talk nicely to them it's the kind of thing they might give you for nothing.

Reactions: Purch123

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Back in January this year a VW Group Reflex Silver twin spray pack cost £17.24, I've bought these genuine VW Group twin spray packs twice, once for my 2011 Audi S4 for painting parking sensors, an easy job, and once for my wife's 2015 VW Polo which needed a new mirror cap painting - which wit its many differing angles, was not an easy job!

Your local SEAT dealership will order up the correct twin spray pack, its part number should be LLSOM6### - ### should be the last 3 digits of your paint code and a primered cover - my local VW dealer parts place muttered that their paintshop asks for £90 to paint a mirror cap!

Maybe find a paintshop that is willing to use your genuine VW Group paint to spray your genuine VW Group primed cover, that might cost less than needing a paintshop to provide their own paint and spray tools?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The cover is so small you could paint it with a brush and few would notice.

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll probably just get an unpainted one and either spray or paint with a brush myself, as suggested. Thanks.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll probably just get an unpainted one and either spray or paint with a brush myself, as suggested. Thanks.

With my car OCD, I’d not paint it with a brush. If you get the twin spray pack as @RUM4MO suggested, you’ll have plenty of paint, so you’ll be able to have a few practice attempts on another surface before painting the actual tow eye cover. That way, you’ll be able to perfect your spray technique and get a pretty good finish.

Presumably the tow eye cover comes pre-primed ready for painting, so there shouldn’t be any issues with the paint not adhering correctly to the plastic.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Best done as an inside activity, use something like double sided tape to fix the cover to something that is disposal and locate that in something to bring it up to a good working height, plenty of newspapers to protect floor coverings, you would be hard pushed to mess it up I'd think, there are guidelines on the cans, I was too generous with the mirror cap paint and so when I sprayed on the lacquer it reacted with the base coat, b=very annoying, nothing like that happened when I spray painted 3 parking sensors a year or so previously, but as I said that mirror cap has many different angles so needed lots of spraying which is why I ended up messing it up. I'd leave a bit more than the 25>30 minutes between the base coat and lacquer coat spraying, possibly no maximum time limit there, only a minimum time!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Part numbers that I've found for 5F0 807 241 B for a roughly square/rectangular version and 5F0 807 241 C for the roughly circular version. Both selling for around £27 delivered primed.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Using spray paint in the house is not a good idea! Just don't do it.
I agree, but most people don't have a warm dry dust free option, so need to do it that way with extreme care.

If @Purch123 has a garage or shed, they could always use either of those for spray painting, near the door with the door open to ensure there’s some ventilation, then take the painted part into the warmth of the house to help speed up the paint drying / curing process.

That’s what I’d do. :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If @Purch123 has a garage or shed, they could always use either of those for spray painting, near the door with the door open to ensure there’s some ventilation, then take the painted part into the warmth of the house to help speed up the paint drying / curing process.

That’s what I’d do. :)

For something this size, I can only repeat what I have written, spraying in a shed/garage, then walking with a part that has paint solvent evaporating off and so the surface is very cold, will always, in winter/early spring weather, end up with water condensing on the surface and that will cause blooming.

Using common sense will work here, if you do not have enough knowledge on how to avoid a/an flash/explosion, then get someone else to spray paint it at great cost.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.