New FR 184 ST dsg possibly

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Hi guys

Looking to purchase a 15 plate leon fr184 with dsg.

My last car was was an S line with the infamous CVT auto box. Kept me worried most days that it was gonna break.

Now my new car im looking at has dsg, its making me a little nervous just because its auto...... but should i be? Anyone tell me if this cars worth the extra power over a 150hp and is the gearbox reliable.

Cheers in advance

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
DSGs are pretty tough, especially those with a wet clutch (which that car has). Problems are rare but expensive to fix when they do occur. No more reason to worry than any other five year-old car.

As to 184 vs 150, that's been done to death on this forum. A quick search should throw up the results you need. IMO, it depends on your priorities - do you value performance or economy? One thing worth noting is that the 184 has independent rear suspension whereas the 150 does not. It also gets bigger brakes.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
DSGs are pretty tough, especially those with a wet clutch (which that car has). Problems are rare but expensive to fix when they do occur. No more reason to worry than any other five year-old car.

As to 184 vs 150, that's been done to death on this forum. A quick search should throw up the results you need. IMO, it depends on your priorities - do you value performance or economy? One thing worth noting is that the 184 has independent rear suspension whereas the 150 does not. It also gets bigger brakes.
Thanks for the info, really valuable.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the suspension being independant or not??

Thanks

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a 2.0 TDI 184 ST. Its manual, so can't comment on DSG.

I did test drive a 150 and 184 back to back before buying. In my experience, the 184 was noticeably quicker and more powerful. So bought the 184 and never looked back. £30 road tax and 50mpg, handles and goes well, ST so practical and loads of room. Whats not to like.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the suspension being independent or not??
Independent rear suspension gives a better ride and better handling, especially on rough roads typically found in Britain. Different people will give different opinions as to how noticeable the difference is though. Depends how fast you drive and on what kind of roads, I guess.

On the 150, the rear wheels are connected via a torsion beam so any suspension movement at one wheel affects the alignment of the opposite wheel.

My recommendation would be to drive both a 150 and a 184 and see which you prefer.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
I think for me its the 184....better everything by the sounds of it. Had an exeo st170 and loved it, so for me the 184st sounds perfect.

Just hope the gearbox stays reliable