Jacking up with side skirts

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
There's probably a post which I can't seem to find, anyone know how to jack up with these?

Don't really have the best place to considering my unlevel gravel drive

Do the inserts just slide on out and then use the sil with a Puck that fits onto it?

Or is there somewhere better?

Cheers

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Wouldn't let me upload the picture on post
IMG_20200325_184342.jpg

Reactions: Jazzjames

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The inserts just pop out, but can be a bugger to put back properly. I’ve seen quite a few with them missing on Mk2 and mk3s because either they couldn’t get them back in or they fell out after.

Better getting a proper Trolley jack and jacking up elsewhere.

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
The inserts just pop out, but can be a bugger to put back properly. I’ve seen quite a few with them missing on Mk2 and mk3s because either they couldn’t get them back in or they fell out after.

Better getting a proper Trolley jack and jacking up elsewhere.
I did notice one of them is fairly loose, just a case of pulling them straight out and not down or anything I suppose?

Not an option around here I'm afraid, just have to hope for the best...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As well as jacking a car up to work on it, if you are getting under it even slightly, you should be also using axle stands, I would not fancy needing to go near any hospital right now unless I had C-19!
Doing any car lifting on top of gravel does not make any sense, not brave but stupid.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There are four other jacking points but for some reason Seat have hidden them.

If you look just behind the front arch you'll find a seperate section of undertray with a single torque screw securing it. If you remove the screw then remove this small section of plastic you'll find a steel turret. This is a jacking point.

You actually don't need to remove the plastic. As long as you know where the turret is you can jack through the plastic cover.

There are also similar jacking rails in front of the rear arches but you can lift the whole side of the car from the front ones.

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks guys, couldn't get them off and didn't want to break them either.

Should be getting wheels refurbed soon - depending when place a open again.

Was only goigg to take a wheel off at a time to give a good clean on them

Definitely agree it's not a smart thing to do on gravel but don't have much of a choice

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Clear areas of loose gravel and then place a sheet of thick ply wood under the jack and axle stands.

Good advice but I'd still be reluctant to jack on gravel. The problem is that the other wheels can still slip on the gravel. I've known people who have jacked a car on gravel and it fell. Not good.

However you jack the car, once it's up in the air you should always give it a good shove in all directions to make sure it's stable before you get under it. If it's going to fall, you want it to fall when you're next to it, not under it.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Prior to retirement, i have unfortunately dealt with several cases of fatality and serious life changing injury connected with the jacking up of cars. Please don't do it unless it's on a good level surface, take precautions with stands etc and definitely with someone close by. The worst instance i experienced was a guy who was trapped against the side of his garage wall and sadly died due to simply being unable to breath. I'm not trying to be over dramatic Oliver, but i don't want to read that it didn't go well mate.

Reactions: Mr Pig

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
To back that up, an ex-work friend, was not beyond buying MOT failures and taking parts off them, he was taking a front wheel off a car in a remote barn, the car fell on his hand and luckily after some time he managed to get a jack under and release his chopped up hand, wrapped his jacket round his hand and drove himself to A and E! No proper permanent damage, though much scarring, he probably did not learn a lesson that day unfortunately!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise