Brake service soon,which brake pads?

Oct 10, 2019
Greetings, I will be soon changing my discs and pads, I know front dics are 345 and rear are 286,but what pads should I get? In my local parts store there are 100 different pads with different dimensions,even thou I have cupra model selected. What is the correct size if anyone knows?

Cupra R MK2

Sep 21, 2015
Manchester, United Kingdom
I have a Leon Cupra R Mk2, it comes with front 345mm Brake discs and 286mm Rear brake discs, I have EBC redstuff pads, both front and rear, I'm happy with them, just be careful when they are cold, they take time to heat up, from then on, they are pretty good indeed

crunchie

Nov 2, 2019
I have a Leon Cupra R Mk2, it comes with front 345mm Brake discs and 286mm Rear brake discs, I have EBC redstuff pads, both front and rear, I'm happy with them, just be careful when they are cold, they take time to heat up, from then on, they are pretty good indeed
Thought the Cupra R had 310mm vented, the same as the S3 & R32?
Needing brakes soon myself, so much choice out there!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thought the Cupra R had 310mm vented, the same as the S3 & R32?
Needing brakes soon myself, so much choice out there!

345 on the front... I've swapped mine out for the 340mm Vagbremtechnic J Hooks so you don't get that annoying rim around the disc.
upload_2020-6-4_10-11-21.png

crunchie

Nov 2, 2019
345 on the front... I've swapped mine out for the 340mm Vagbremtechnic J Hooks so you don't get that annoying rim around the disc.
View attachment 15267
I was looking at that option, save a good bit of weight too. Are they decent discs, they were my top choice. What pads are you running?
I was referring to the rears on the R being 310mm, I believed so anyway.
286mm on the cupra the same as Golf GTi etc but 310mm on the R the same as S3 & R32.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
286 x 12 solid rear discs on the Cupra R. No AWD on the Seat so no need for anything bigger than that on the rear really.

crunchie

Nov 2, 2019
286 x 12 solid rear discs on the Cupra R. No AWD on the Seat so no need for anything bigger than that on the rear really.
Cool, must have picked that up wrong. Thanks for the correction.
I read that people are fitting 282mm discs on rear along the same lines as the 340mm front option to prevent the rusty lip?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I was looking at that option, save a good bit of weight too. Are they decent discs, they were my top choice. What pads are you running?
I was referring to the rears on the R being 310mm, I believed so anyway.
286mm on the cupra the same as Golf GTi etc but 310mm on the R the same as S3 & R32.

I'm really pleased with them. I'd like to get some for the rears just for cosmetics. I usually go for pagid pads. At first I was short of cash, so just went with the stock pads. But am running Pagid blue at the moment. Not really had a chance to use them much of late... but at least they produce less dust LOL.

Yeah, rears are 286... Darkside do an S3 upgrade kit for the Cupra... which I want. But they only do it in blue! Which is fine... but then I'd have red at the front and blue on the rear. LOL.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...di-s3-vw-golf-r32-rear-brake-upgrade-kit.html

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I'm really pleased with them. I'd like to get some for the rears just for cosmetics. I usually go for pagid pads. At first I was short of cash, so just went with the stock pads. But am running Pagid blue at the moment. Not really had a chance to use them much of late... but at least they produce less dust LOL.

Yeah, rears are 286... Darkside do an S3 upgrade kit for the Cupra... which I want. But they only do it in blue! Which is fine... but then I'd have red at the front and blue on the rear. LOL.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...di-s3-vw-golf-r32-rear-brake-upgrade-kit.html

They just look like standard VAG calipers and carriers, no? If so you can get them much cheaper than from Darkside.

TRW make them and they're not particularly expensive to buy new. Not sure about red but they're definitely available in black and unpainted too.

Reactions: Legojon

crunchie

Nov 2, 2019
They'll come black for S3 but yes, unpainted would be better if going red.
I'd consider this if discs, pads, calipers all needed done.
Had refurbished factory blue ones for my R32 from motorfactors a few years back, not too dear.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.